Custom winter insulation that works great

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:58 AM

Here is a custom insulation job I did that I've been using all winter down to 0F. I used WarmWindow from Joann Fabrics plus blackout fabric, snapped to frame behind walls or velcro to sideliner. Hired a seamstress to do the sewing with extra large sewing machine. Did the snaps myself using the very helpful foot-operated snap press tool at the fabric store.

With the Camco Olympian Wave 6, this setup is very tight and warm.

IMG_0272.jpg IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0274.jpg IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0277.jpg

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

Awesome!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

Very cool... er, warm! ;-) Thanks for sharing your photos.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#4 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

Excellent! Can you close the top with it attached? I imagine there's still moisture, can't do much about that. Looks very nice and tight!

#5 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

The top is designed not to allow any additional material in the fold when it collapses, so I can’t collapse the roof eith it attached. However, it’s just a matter of pulling off the 2” Velcro at the top of the sideliner, which is very easy and very easy to reattach.

#6 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

VERY nice... I need to look into this material!!!

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Beauty !

I remember you mentioning this material on the other thread. Good on yah for going for it. Looks like it came out really well.

Two questions: does the outside fabric layer absorb moisture,  or do you think it could get damp to the touch ?

And have you any further thoughts to making a panel to cover the end wall,s over the push up boards ?

Thanks,

#8 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:16 AM

I used blackout fabric sewed onto the outside of the warm window fabric. It is very synthetic and I am not worried about it or the WarmWindow and moisture. It does help a little with the moisture as well. One nice feature is that it keeps a dry layer between you and the wall.

I haven’t needed any other insulation on the folding panels. I think if you were going really hard core in northern Canada or Alaska you might need more, at least with the 9000 BTUs that the Wave 6 puts out . One thing I would change is making the side panel insulation longer so it would fit all the way behind the folding panels. That would be plenty, and the folding panels themselves trap cold air just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users