• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 VanMetricSystem

VanMetricSystem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

That looks like an awesome spot! I don't know about the OP, but I would love more to know about more locations like that!

I’m making reservations at the few places that I can. I’m going to use that location as a backup in case we can’t get a spot at Bryce Canyon. I agree, it does look great!

Edited by VanDominator13, 01 April 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#22 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

If you want a nice place to camp just outside Bryce you might try Kodachrome Basin ,Utah SP.

We stayed there in 2013 after the Gov shutdown.

It's a nice quiet place they even have some cabins.

It's about 10 miles east of Bryce.

Check my trip blog I have photos of that trip.

"3 canyons and a basin"

As a note on the coast camping. The Oregon SPs are nice to stay at.Not all on the coast get full.

One in mind is Humbug SP.

I think most have "overflow" areas for the night.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#23 VanMetricSystem

VanMetricSystem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:24 AM

If you want a nice place to camp just outside Bryce you might try Kodachrome Basin ,Utah SP.

We stayed there in 2013 after the Gov shutdown.

It's a nice quiet place they even have some cabins.

It's about 10 miles east of Bryce.

Check my trip blog I have photos of that trip.

"3 canyons and a basin"

As a note on the coast camping. The Oregon SPs are nice to stay at.Not all on the coast get full.

One in mind is Humbug SP.

I think most have "overflow" areas for the night.

Frank

I'll check it out, thanks Frank.

-Mike

#24 VanMetricSystem

VanMetricSystem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

Up Montana way, and depending on where you exit Utah or Wyoming, you can consider a few short side trips/stopovers:

If exiting Wyoming on the east of the Rockies, you can look at some remote campground camping in the Custer NF west of Broadus. That could follow a visit to Devil's Tower NM just on the Wyoming side of the border. North of there is a whole lot of high plains with some badlands mixed in, making it possible to consider the National Grasslands tracts and Theodore Roosevelt NP in western North Dakota. More due north from where I-90 crosses from Wyoming into Montana is the Missouri Breaks NM (NP?) and some patches of low mountains in the Lewiston and Rocky Boy areas. You can even cross the Missouri River on a cable ferry at McClelland or Virgelle.

If along the I-15 corridor in eastern Idaho, Several "jug handle" or out-and-back side trips are worth consideration. Craters of the Moon NM is a great place to take kids to (though hotter than the hinges of Heck in early July). You can also loop to the west up ID 28 to Tendoy, turn up a graded gravel road, pass by Sharkey's Hot Spring for a soak, and cross into Montana at Lemhi Pass, where Lewis and Clark crossed in 1805. Descending the MT side takes you right past Bannack, MT enroute back to I-15 at Dillon. An eastward loop off of I-15 starting at the Idaho-Montana state line (Monida, MT) can take you into the vast Centennial Valley for 25-30 miles, thence north into either the Blacktail Creek valley to loop back to Dillon, the Ruby River valley to emerge at Virginia City, MT, or up and along the breathtaking Gravelly Range Road for a 35 mile cruise mostly above timberline to emerge at Ennis, MT on US 287 not too far south of I-90.

Foy

Right on! Lots of places to check out. The northern WY and MT leg of the trip looks like it’ll be the hardest to plan in advance as far as reserving sites. This will help a lot.
Thank you.

#25 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

Well although a beautiful place........
it is just so hot in my opinion to try camp in that temperature. And if your thinking it will cool off at night, not so much
Russ

Your comment reminded me of the first time we visited Utah’s national parks.

We were in a rented Class C RV and it was soo hot that night that the sheets were sticking to me.
I actually got up in the middle of the night went outside and laid down on the picnic table in a feeble attempt to catch any breeze available. I remember thinking that this must be what being placed in an oven must be like...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#26 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

As others pointed out Utah is an amazing state.  So many great options.  

I'd check out Hells Backbone, K-basin, Grand staircase, etc., etc.  Bears Ears too.  You may never make it to your destination!

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users