#1 A.Smith

A.Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSo. Orange County

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

I am driving to Buffalo NY to help My Daughter with Her PHD Graduate Field Studies. A two month field project.

I could use Help with Map and App ideas for this trip

I figure to use Rest Stops and Truck Stops for the trip to NY. But where and how to find them ?

Then on the drive back to Southern California, I will journey a bit.

All previous trips have been with Auto Club Maps, but I know this is a whole new adventure.

So any and all suggestions will be most appreciated !

Wonder what the reception to a GMC Diesel,with a Four Wheel Camper towing a Outdoors RV Back Country Trailer will be ?

On the Adventures. Thanks  Fred

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

I have successfully used USA Rest Stops to find -- rest stops. 

And I've used Allstays Camp & RV to find all kinds of campgrounds. (unfortunately, no longer available for Android, though my copy still works).

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

You didn’t mention when the trip will be. The weather will determine the best route to take.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#4 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:38 AM

My favorite info is from ultimate campgrounds which includes boondocking locations.  I've heard 3rd/4th hand that anyone can stop for the night at a truck stop, but don't plan on much sleeping because they are noisy. Maybe others have comments on this.

What is your daughter's field work?  Just curious about the cool life other's live. 

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#5 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

Might be a good time to try a few Walmart parking lots. They generally frown on popups but I think they really mean tent trailers. I've never had a problem when I had mine.

Stay away from truck stops and rest areas. You'll never get a moments sleep. Way too big of a party.

#6 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

Most Kansas Rest Ares have 3 sections, cars, trucks and RV. The RV section is usually a circle far enough away from the trucks and road to be relatively quiet. Some even have picnic tables.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

Hey there,  Live in New England. Did a 10 week trip to AK and back. My first leg went through upstate NY. As I was in "slab mode" putting down miles I stayed at a rest stop on highway 90 around Toledo OH... was not long drive from there to Buffalo. I will say (sorrily) that Great Lake highways around Chicago and Detroit are not for the faint of heart. I then (long days driving to get OUT of the east) stayed in town of Blue Earth Minnesota at fairgrounds ($10) very nice with showers and walk to town. More info on a blog ...this will take you to the start (blogs run old to recent)

http://alaskan-yukon...5&by-date=false

Rob

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#8 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:21 AM

We live in Duluth, MN and travel to Buffalo, NY to visit friends. The Chicago area is off my list, Just won't go there.

We have a couple of favorite routes. Across northern Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan, Over the big bridge and down to Sarnia and across Canada to Niagara Falls. Across northern WI and the UP then into Canada and across to Niagara Falls(nice trip). Up the North Shore of Lake Superior and across Canada to Niagara Falls (best trip). Where you stay is up to you, There are some fantastic state and provincial parks along the way.

The advice on rest areas is spot on. Too noisy, especially in a pop top.

Have a great trip! Bigfoot Dave

#9 A.Smith

A.Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSo. Orange County

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:27 AM

Thanks to all.

I am towing a travel trailer as we will be somewhere near the Hudson River and Normans Kill , near Albany, NY. for 2 months.

My Daughter is a Geologist, Paleontologist (invertebrate). Evidently there are fossil beds in that area.

So I am continuing to plan the route and now where to set up the traveler, base location.

What an Adventure.

This Dad can use all the help possible, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Oh the Adventures

Fred

#10 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:29 PM

I hope you realize that is quite a distance from Buffalo, close to 300mi.

From LA I would take a southern route (I40-I44-I70-I71-I90-I86-I88) I would avoid Chicago if at all possible.

If you are planning on I90 in New York be aware that the tolls can add up.

I never spent much time in that exact area, you are in between the Catskills and Adirondacks, Very close to Western MA, CT and VT.

All of these are beautiful country, it is in no way comparable to what everybody thinks of as New York (mainly the city).

There is a lot of interesting early american history that took place in the Hudson Valley, The Dutch founded Albany (Fort Nassau) in 1614.

I would recommend visiting Lake Placid, take a loop up thru Saranac Lake. Visit Fort Ticonderoga, If you have time go up to the Thousand Islands (St Lawrence river), Drive down to Hyde Park, visit the FDR estate, and one of the Vanderbuilt Mansions.

try to take some time to go through the Finger Lake Region, Lots of winery's and Watkins Glen (interesting state park and hike up a gorge with lots of waterfalls, and a famous racetrack nearby).

You will be going through a huge portion of the US, Stop at some of the small places in the middle of nowhere, it will be more enjoyable.

Disclaimer.....I grew up near Buffalo, and lived near Poughkeepsie for a number of years.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users