#1 HandTurkee

HandTurkee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:02 AM

Hi there,

I'm quite a rookie when it comes to camper electrical so any advice is appreciated. I currently have a 2008 f250 and a friend gave me an inverter I plan to install.

My question: assuming the inverter meets necessary specs, can I run the shore power cable from the inverter to my truck camper? This would give me the ability to use standard 110 appliances when I run the engine which would be nice.

Thank you in advance

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:31 AM

Check the power consumption of your devices against the inverter output. My best guess is you won’t find it big enough or practical.

I am haunted by waters

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:42 PM

Short answer, yes if the inverter can put out enough power to meet the starting demand of whatever appliances you want/need to run it would work. Likely can only run one at a time unless the inverter is huge. Also note that some 120 VAC items need a pure sine wave inverter to run at all or run correctly. Those are a lot more spendy.

Before you do that you need to know if the alternator can keep up or not. Sounds like you're already aware that the battery(ies) won't last very long under that load. It is nice to have an inverter along, but I can't think of anything 120VAC that we regularly need to use that we don't have another solution for. I know that there are some exceptions out there (CPAP?) where there just aren't many non 120VAC options and an inverter is necessary.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:18 PM

My question: assuming the inverter meets necessary specs, can I run the shore power cable from the inverter to my truck camper? This would give me the ability to use standard 110 appliances when I run the engine which would be nice.

For sure, that's what the inverter is for with the caveat you've given and there being enough 12V power supply.

If you locate the inverter in the engine compartment mind that there is adequate cooling for it. If located in the cab, there should be rubber knockouts/plugs in the body floor and rear wall to route the 110V cord thru to the camper.

Many (most ?) appliances will have a tag or otherwise be marked with the power required, often in watts. You'll want to check this against the output of the inverter.

#5 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

For sure, that's what the inverter is for with the caveat you've given and there being enough 12V power supply.

Toaster oven? Microwave? Coffee maker?  You need a lot of 12V and big wires.

CWDT

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:36 PM

Toaster oven? Microwave? Coffee maker?  You need a lot of 12V and big wires.

LOL, of those, have only done the microwave. 0/2 was big enough, as spec'd in the inverter installation manual.

I'm thinking the OP might have something like a 400w model, complete with battery clamp on supply leads and a 110v receptacle. Have seen those at auto supply stores etc.

Or are we defining "appliances" as limited to the sort in your list ?

#7 HandTurkee

HandTurkee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

LOL, of those, have only done the microwave. 0/2 was big enough, as spec'd in the inverter installation manual.

I'm thinking the OP might have something like a 400w model, complete with battery clamp on supply leads and a 110v receptacle. Have seen those at auto supply stores etc.

Or are we defining "appliances" as limited to the sort in your list ?

Thanks guys, all helpful info. I'll take a closer look at the inverter I was given and see if I think it is up to snuff.

#8 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:59 AM

Also, be aware that some inverters produce a TRUE sine wave while others (cheaper ones) produce what is called a "modified sine wave" which is actually a modified square wave.  Heating elements and most motors don't really care, but some sensitive electronics chokes on the "modifies sine wave".

Because 120 volts is ten times 12 volts, it's simple to calculate power draw.  A device that needs 8 amps at 120 volts needs 80 amps at 12 volts.

The general rule of thumb is that the dc wires need to be as short, and thick, as possible.  The ac wires can be long.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#9 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

If what you have in mind is something like a laptop computer, all it takes is a cheapie in the 12 VDC plug in the truck, which is what I do. When we camp, if near a TV signal, I use the same innverter in the truck camper for our little 16" Pyle flat screen. 

In the olden days almost nothing liked the old square wave inverter power, then the modifieds came along and now it is really rare that things don't work with them. Of course the price has really come down for the pure sine wave inverters.

in our fifth wheel I can run everything including both flat screens, etc. other than the AC and water heater off the high-end modified sine wave inverter and even they would work but would drain the batteries too quickly. 

The times they are a changing. :)

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

OP, your math is correct, but doesn't address the inefficiency of the inverter itself. An 8 amp @ 120 VAC demand on the inverter will mean that the inverter will need in the range of 90-100 amps @ 12 VDC to supply it. Nothing is free......

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users