Photo
- - - - -

Another refrigerator problem thread. Not propane though.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

We have a 2014 Hawk with the Dometic CR1110, an all electric, Danfoss compressor refrigerator. We have camped regularly since purchasing the camper new and the fridge has worked ok. But recently we went four months without camping due to my health issues. Having camped again two weekends now the fridge will not chill below 50 degrees.

We have tried both on shore power and camper battery power with no difference. So it is not a lack of power.

If we pack it with ice I can get it down to 43 degrees but it cannot maintain that once the ice melts. When it is down to 43, I can turn the thermostat down and the fridge stops running. Turn it up and it turns back on. So the thermostat is working properly.

I have two questions but have not been able to get answers from service locations. They just want me to make an appointment to bring it in:

Can these refrigerators have coolant recharged or is it a sealed system?

I know on the ammonia based propane refrigerators the old trick was to remove the fridge and turn it upside down overnight, then reinstall it. Does this work for electric refrigerators with Danfoss compressors as well?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:22 PM

I have had both of my Danfoss BD-35 compressor fridge/freezers in the boat recharged in the past.

About a 10 minute job for each, if access is easy. About $50 each.

#3 strayDog

strayDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Calif

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:30 PM

Two phone #'s...AAP inc in Virginia 1-804-633-9454 Tina should answer.They are the parts distributor for Dometic.

!-804-746-1313 ask for Rob in the Truck Division ( for RV refrigerators) I believe Tina can transfer you to Rob who is extremely helpful and will answer questions. Truck Division is the key to finding the info you want. Good Luck!

#4 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:14 AM

Don't turn it upside down.

CWDT

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

As a "fix", turning a Danfoss compressor fridge/freezer upside down, I''m not sure about.

However, they get shipped in small boxes and we would never know if they were upside down or not in the transportation process.
I know when I opened the shipping boxes, there was a note to that effect, and it said place it up right for at least 48 hours before starting the fridge up.

So, from that perspective saying don't turn it up side down seems to not be correct. It most likely gets turned and sits in all kind of orientations in the shipping process. Do the shippers really care? Probably not.

Weather turning a Danfoss compressor fridge/freezer unit upside down will "fix" anything is something I don't know about.

Getting an expert in compressor refrigeration to test it seems like the best option.

I like "marine" experts in compressor refrigeration more than "RV" experts in compressor refrigeration. They seem to be better experts as their customers have more expensive toys and from personal experience failure is really not an option for a boat owner.

My two cents.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 03 April 2019 - 11:46 AM.

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:05 PM

Noticed that the Indel/Webasto compressor fridge that I'm currently installing in our Cuchara has test/recharge ports in the system.

Household fridges can be turned on their sides, backs, or upside down in transport. Like noted above they all want to be upright for some period of time before being plugged in. Doubt it would help anyway.

What you might do is simply let it run for a while. Like a week, maybe more. Plug into shore power, set it on it's coldest setting and fill it with bottles of water (leave enough room in the bottles should they freeze). If you have a remote temp monitor renew it's batteries and see what it does. The worst thing that any system can do is sit and not run.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

I'm not finding a manual specifically saying it applies to the CR1110.  This one says it applies to the Waeco CR series and I see page 13 shows there are two LEDs next to the thermostat, one green during normal operation and the other flashes a code if there's a fault detected.  Does yours have the LEDs and if so, have you seen an error code? (you may need that info when talking to tech support)

Also- I see this manual for the CR1110's replacement, the CRX110, says not to transport it horizontally because of the potential for spilling oil from the compressor (page 16).  It says you can lay it on it's side to mount the optional water drain (p21) so apparently it can take some time on it's side but I'd want to be pretty sure turning it upside down would do some good before I'd chance it.

Searches for turning a propane fridge upside down suggest several possible ideas why it (sometimes) works for a propane fridge.  This thread, for instance, says an air bubble can form in the gas mix of a propane fridge that sits for a while.  This one, on the other hand, has a post suggesting rust or ammonia crystals can block an orifice and turning the fridge upside down can dislodge them.

Edited by Old Crow, 03 April 2019 - 02:24 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#8 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:25 PM

As a "fix", turning a Danfoss compressor fridge/freezer upside down, I''m not sure about.

However, they get shipped in small boxes and we would never know if they were upside down or not in the transportation process.
I know when I opened the shipping boxes, there was a note to that effect, and it said place it up right for at least 48 hours before starting the fridge up.

So, from that perspective saying don't turn it up side down seems to not be correct. It most likely gets turned and sits in all kind of orientations in the shipping process. Do the shippers really care? Probably not.

They want you to keep it upright for 48 hours to make sure all of the oil in the compressor settles back into the sump. If the compressor has been upside down or even sideways, the oil can/will get above the piston(s) and bad things can happen if you start it then. Just a good idea to keep one upright. 

CWDT

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

Lots of good info coming in, thank you all. Will not turn it upside down. Will check the LED's and in back to confirm ports to test/recharge the system. And since I live near the delta, it isn't too far to find a marine service location instead of an RV service location.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

a bit more information...........................

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users