#41 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

Just an update fir those that may decide to do a similar trip. We booked our ferry reservations today for third week of July and found a few of our first choice dates already booked. One added note is we wanted, as we are doing the midnight crossing and seas can be a tad rough.. we splurged for a cabin. Sleep. As we will have been camping for five nights the room has its own shower! Yes. Worth the price for rest and shower. So if you plan it might be a good idea to think ahead.

Must add buckland that a cabin is worth it if you have a rough time with motion sickness. For me sleeping through bad waters works well. Enjoy your trip. Newfoundland is fascinating.

#42 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

We have made our ferry reservations (wild that the boat is filling up so well in advance) and were able to get a cabin as we are doing the night crossing... so with a Bonine pill and a dark room I think we will survive!....my dog on the other hand might have a rough time in the truck back seat (platform). 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#43 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

We have made our ferry reservations (wild that the boat is filling up so well in advance) and were able to get a cabin as we are doing the night crossing... so with a Bonine pill and a dark room I think we will survive!....my dog on the other hand might have a rough time in the truck back seat (platform). 

:unsure: gottcha.....good luck to the pooch.

#44 Platano

Platano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO / Prescott, AZ

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:05 AM

I've followed this thread for a bit. What a timely topic as we have been intend to do a trip up through the maritimes late summer / fall.  We have not started the planning  process in earnest but this is a great place to start.  Most of the posts in this thread are focused on summertime travel.  We would be coming from sw Colorado visiting friends in the midwest and then up to the maritimes to follow the fall southward through New England and on down the eastern seaboard.  Any and all suggested routes would be appreciated.  We lived for several years in New England (MA) and have friends still in ME, MA, RI and family in MD.  Plans are to visit there, but we are completely unacquainted with the Canadian Province up there and are excited to visit.  If any of you have insights we'd appreciate any and all.  When is too late, what are the don't miss attractions etc.  We prefer primitive camping with the FWC but are not opposed to provincial parks, campgrounds etc.  As retired field ecologists, we are interested in good hiking, birding, "botanizing" and watersports (paddleboards, kayaks).  We are open to any and all suggestions, thanks.   

2006 Tundra 4x4 Dbl Cab, 2012 FWC Hawk.

#45 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:23 PM

The Backroad Mapbooks are a great source of info. To any folks who have a copy or some other reference material.... if you were listing the must see or do, restaurants or "clam shacks" to not miss, hikes, parks and villages... do give a shout out. I am hoping to do a mini blog of the trip as driving gives me time to think and I find it relaxing at the end of the day to hammer out some experiences from the day. There are so many roads in Newfoundland that require a round trip and was hoping to avoid bad decisions.... even with three weeks it will be a challenge to avoid just wandering ... would like to spend more time at a few places rather than just drive for view.

Henry David Thoreau

#46 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

As I did for the AK trip I started a blog. I enjoyed writing as a way to live the trip twice.

Though I just set it up with a post ...it is only the start.    https://canadian-mar...es.blogspot.com

For those interested here is the AK-Yukon trip blog    ....... This link brings one to the beginning of the trip. Blogs are set up so that you have to go backwards ....so to progress through just click the '"newer posts" button at the bottom of the post. Thereafter one needs to read from the bottom of the page up!

http://alaskan-yukon...5&by-date=false

Edited by buckland, 11 May 2019 - 09:34 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#47 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

One of the many reasons Terri and I love to travel is to explore the culture of the communities we run across.
In Newfoundland and Labrador one of the important aspects of their culture is their story telling. If you think about it this makes perfect sense since the area is so remote.

The tourism board just sent me this collection of short audio stories and after listening to a few I thought I’d share them with you.
Enjoy...

https://talltrueandt...#whatsOnTheMenu

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#48 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

Ditto on that. My wife and I have lived and taught in a lot of countries and have had the fortunate experience of 20+ cultures in a classroom...so much learning going on. I usually respond to folks that ask “what was your favorite part of visiting Japan?” (Or any others country) and my response is “the Japanese”. I love stories and this is a wonderful way to be introduced to the uniqueness of the Maritimes. I will enjoy listening. Thanks so much for sharing. I’ve already past the link on to a few friends.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." ― Mark Twain

Edited by buckland, 20 May 2019 - 10:54 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

#49 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

Another source to tap is this book. Stories of the land and people of Newfoundland. IMG_8022.JPG

Henry David Thoreau

#50 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:58 PM

On the Cabot Trail. A few days into the trip to Newfoundland and Labrador. We have had three nights of great boondocks camp sites.
Can’t believe the luck. If interested check out the blog site listed in previous post. Warning I tend to “wander the thoughts”a bit. But one can just look at the photos too!

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users