27 replies to this topic

#1 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hey all!

We are planing our travel locations for 2019, we are currently considering Glacier National Park for the last week of July and first week of August. We have been looking online for campgrounds and attractions at the park. We have not stayed in a National Park before or traveled that far north, we are looking for any advice or suggestions you may have to offer.

Is it better to camp in the Park or look for Forest Service campgrounds near the park, if so any recommended locations would be quite helpful.

Thanks Bud

2009 Single cab Silverado Z71 & 2005 Hawk
2018 Crew cab Silverado 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

2020 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Bud,we stayed at Glacier in 2009. You can make reservations at several of the campgrounds.

Plus there are very nice first come first serve camps on the west side.

We stayed at Bowman Lake on the west side also Lake Kintla.These two are accessed from the west side road.

At Fish Creek on Lake Mc Donald you can reserve there. This has a lot of nice spaces.

Haven't camped on the east side I think that's the more popular side.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:33 PM

Hi Frank, thanks for the info, I was looking at the map for Bowman Lake campground and the discription. Looking at the maps and reading the park info it looks like there are a few campgrounds on the west side and I wouldn’t think the roads are going to be that challenging.

What time of the year were you there and how about the mosquitoes? I have a couple type of repellent and may pickup a screened tent or something to that effect.

Thanks again Bud

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

We stayed at the St. Mary campground on the east side. Be ready for crowds have a reservation. 

IMG_3544.jpg

Do the lake cruise from Many Glaciers Lodge. We did both lakes with the hike between them had a great time. One thing we try to do at every National Park is eating at the lodge, it is our treat to ourselves. Many Glaciers has a great dinner. 

IMG_3555%2B%25282%2529.jpg IMG_3554%2B%25281%2529.jpg

The going to the sun road is fantastic, be sure and stop to look around. Hope you have the same great weather we had.

IMG_8582.jpg

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:07 AM

We were there the Labor Day time.I don't think the mosquitoes were a problem.

Only Bowman and Kintla have road access in that part of the park.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:09 AM

Skeeters are not that bad there, at least higher up and on the east side, which is where we have been a few times.  We've always managed to reserve or get there early enough to sneak in a first come site.  

West side by Lady Mac is very wide open.  Top and East side are more "dramatic".  We have not checked out Kintla though, and it looks nice as well.

If you don't like twisty and very narrow mountain roads, avoid the Going to the Sun road.  You need to be able to hug the outside of the road.  Going east, that means the passenger side is the "drop off" side and usually has a 24" high stone wall you need to be 1-3" away from, and on the way west, the mountain side overhangs, so tall rigs can get damaged if they get too close, or hit oncoming traffic if too far away.  I've done it in Miata's and my M3, not in my truck... yet.

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:35 AM

Almost forgot, don't forget to get one.  

The famous Polebridge Mercantile Huckleberry Bearclaw. Yes it is that good. 

IMG_3563.jpg

#8 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:57 AM

Thanks billharr & Vic, looks like we need to go just for the Huckleberry Bearclaw. Looking at the park brochure do you think it’s better to take the Redbus or drive the Going to the Sun road?

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:07 AM

Pick up some Duckboy post cards as well... Montana humor at its best.

73FDBF46-D238-4140-939F-ECDA6118D71C.png

I am haunted by waters

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:20 AM

Skeeters are not that bad there, at least higher up and on the east side, which is where we have been a few times.  We've always managed to reserve or get there early enough to sneak in a first come site.  

West side by Lady Mac is very wide open.  Top and East side are more "dramatic".  We have not checked out Kintla though, and it looks nice as well.

If you don't like twisty and very narrow mountain roads, avoid the Going to the Sun road.  You need to be able to hug the outside of the road.  Going east, that means the passenger side is the "drop off" side and usually has a 24" high stone wall you need to be 1-3" away from, and on the way west, the mountain side overhangs, so tall rigs can get damaged if they get too close, or hit oncoming traffic if too far away.  I've done it in Miata's and my M3, not in my truck... yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users