#1 bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationHalf Moon Bay and where my truck is parked

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

After years of trouble free use of our ARB 37qt I am thinking of making a switch to a unit that has a freezer in our next build. The novelty of ice cream in baja is mouth watering but the reality of being able to freeze items that are perishable is the reality for extended off grid missions. 

For context we are in the middle stage(not having anything currently) of going from a taco/camper set up to a full 4x4 van build.  Empty van being delivered beginning of May. Our build will most likely not be able to have a permanent dometic fridge/freezer, which is our ideal state so looking for other routes to obtain a freezer.

Does anyone have experience with National Luna's? 

https://www.equipt1....-fridge-freezer

Thanks

Edited by bryanmichaelmeyer, 07 April 2019 - 04:37 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:34 PM

I know of one member who has one, I’ll send a PM with his name. I believe he is happy with it.

I am haunted by waters

#3 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:01 AM

We have one in our Troopy that is now in Durban. It's excellent, and the freezer has been incredibly valuable for some long no-resupply traverses we did in Australia, when we could keep meat frozen.

#4 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:42 AM

Ive had one for almost seven years and it has worked flawlessly.  That fridge playeda big role in designing my new truck camper -- I wanted to keep that fridge and needed to find a way to have it out of the way as well.

Edited by kmacafee, 07 April 2019 - 01:44 AM.

#5 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:25 PM

How do you adjust the temp difference between the two boxes?

I would use two separate units but I like the redundancy..

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

We have used them on our travels in Africa and have been very impressed with their performance.
I would suggest you get the unit with separate lids for the fridge and freezer to help maintaining the proper temps.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 badpsz@yahoo.com

badpsz@yahoo.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

Thought I'd chime in, we purchased a National Luna ~75 liter fridge freeze for our new Grandby camper. I installed the fridge/chest in January plugged it in to our 12 volt solar system set the temperature controls (one side freezer one side fridge) Its been running non stop (on12 volt solar) ever since.....Its pricey but built like a tank...Low power draw....and 8 year warranty on their proprietary compressor...I would not hesitate to recommend National Luna. Probably the best addition to our camper

Pete

#8 badpsz@yahoo.com

badpsz@yahoo.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

Oops should have said we have the National Luna with the dual doors, setting temperature is easy. There are two digital displays on the control panel that allow for simple programming of either side (one side fridge one side freezer or both sides fridge or both sides freezer)

National Lunas web site was helpful when I was making my comparisons

Pete

#9 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

I have a National Luna 55 L Dual Zone, its the new legacy model. It replaced a Dometic two compartment unit. As badqsz said it is built like a tank, hardly runs at all. Mine has one top door, but the right side has a plastic lid and more insulation, than the left side, so works perfectly as a freezer. Ice cubes for drinks, frozen meals etc. The basket system is exceptional for organizing the food. 

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:22 AM

National Luna always seem to get the top ratings in the Overland Journal testing.

Paul May (EQUIPT) gave me the National Luna info last month and it impressed me.

I want one now.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users