Photo
- - - - -

BC This May...Can You Camp Outside of Campgrounds with FWC?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:22 PM

Tundra/Hawk and looking for information on what BLM in USA calls "dispersed camping"...pulling over and setting up camp out in the boonies...or on a side road...does BC restrict use of FWC [soft sides]?

I realize this is not a FWC specific question but I know several FWC folks are in BC...going Hwy 93 then 16 to Robson and then West....no idea if BC has "back roads" to prowl on...hope to get as far as North as  Telegraph Creek before turning around and back to NE Oregon..

Any information on back road areas of interest would be appreciated.

Thanks ...Phil

Just read about Telegraph Creek fire in 2018...would assume that really wiped out that area..sad..will probably skip it and go to Hyder

Edited by Wallowa, 11 April 2019 - 11:03 PM.

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:22 AM

... looking for information on what BLM in USA calls "dispersed camping"...pulling over and setting up camp out in the boonies...or on a side road...does BC restrict use of FWC [soft sides]?

...no idea if BC has "back roads" to prowl on...

...will probably skip it and go to Hyder

I have never heard of any soft side type restriction, tho there might be in some Parks.

There are many back/side roads in BC that are on Crown Land, that, in short, you can travel and camp on, within reason. Some of these are though roads, while others lead to "nowhere", be that a cut block, an installation, range land, private residence etc.

A few points about these Crown Land backroads - as much for the readership - ... you are (mostly) free to travel them and so are others, some of whom may hold differing ideas about civil behaviour. Note, May 20, is a long weekend, the unofficial start to Summer Partying - rain or shine.

The gov can issue Tenure of use. So drive smart, and watch for (and signs of) industrial and commercial traffic.

Most of BC is unceeded Indigenous Land (very few Treaties).  The Courts acknowledge Aboriginal Title still exists. Watch for posted signs eg "entering XYZ Traditional Territory", usually near a settlement. Prob not the best place to camp without asking. Somewhere remote like Telegraph, best practice is to call ahead or ask at the particular Band Office for permission to visit and camp in the area. I wouldn't camp on an actual Indian Reserve and generally wouldn't stray while travelling though one.

Keep in mind BC also stands for Bear Country (mostly Black). Come May, they'll be out with their cubs (cute :))

For info, I'll mention ADVrider again, try search: routes or unpaved. I will say your hwy route that travels along the Rocky Mtn Trench is a personal favourite.  On your return, travelling thru the Gang Ranch area is one idea you may want to research.

and by Hyder, you mean the road beyond to the glacier overlook, yes ?

Edited by klahanie, 12 April 2019 - 05:23 AM.

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Kal,

Thanks great info.  Yes, I understand traveling without being obtrusive and being respectful of local property and cultures.

'Gang Ranch'...will try to research that but have never heard of it..

Hyder mainly for bears...and just to see that country...Telegraph is probably a no-go since I read the '18 fire hit that area hard.

Bears are as much a blessing as a potential for conflict...I have good back country awareness..will enter and carry 12ga for use only in and around our FWC and then only in the most dire circumstance as a last option..hiking will be ify, as you mentioned moms and cubs will be out..

We plan 3 weeks and after Robson...no real route plans; going by the "all that wander are not lost" approach..any areas you can suggest for us to prowl would be appreciated..

Thanks again,

Phil

PS...Found Gang Ranch...looks good, a lot like here in NE Oregon

Edited by Wallowa, 12 April 2019 - 03:08 PM.

#4 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

We travelled the reverse of your route after going up the Alcan last fall and we barely dodged the fires at Telegraph creek.  Camping was never an issue for us.  Unless your in a Provincial park like Robson, finding an old dirt road or a free campground was pretty easy.  It seemed like the more remote you were, the easier.  Most of the Cassiar is very remote and we even found free camping just outside Hyder too.  It seemed like private property was pretty well marked. Its an awesome trip, I enjoyed the Cassiar more than the Alcan.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

Attaching links to a couple of BC resources I found interesting....

Camping on Crown Land in BC Recreation Sites

Recreation Sites and Trails BC - Interactive Map (Zoom in!) (Click on a tent, then click on the name of the site in the little window. That will bring up another window, this one with driving directions, photos, fire restrictions and sometimes a site map. 

Here's an example of one of the detail pages:  Clements Lake. Note the pdf at the bottom of the page. Nice!

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

Excellent web sites!  And yes, we are looking forward to as much of the Cassiar Hwy as possible...we normally don't move everyday, but rather stay and soak up an area, hopefully with 3-4 hour hikes....so how much we can get to in 21+ days will remain to be seen..

Really appreciate this information and first-hand experiences!

Phil

Ps..Did not mention that our '05 Tundra and '16 Hawk is kitted out with a Warn winch that can be inserted in front and rear receivers and a ton of other "extraction" equipment...we prefer off road but will arrive when "wet" is the most probable description along our routes...so I am very cautious about getting truly stuck out in the boonies..

Edited by Wallowa, 12 April 2019 - 04:00 PM.

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:45 AM

Very good. A winch is nice (and can earn good Karma) but rest asurred there are tons of roads and possible camps where you'll never need one. 

That pdf OC mentioned is a good one. #9 POI is the glacier overlook I referred to. And prob the closest "salmon" you'll see that time of year (!). Worth the drive tho. Famous food bus in Hyder. Decent CG in Meziadin Lake PP.

I think I mentioned before - in a RFI thread by JaSAn - some of the First Nations cultural attractions near the Hazeltons.

Could visit the Nisga'a memorial lava beds in Nisga'a Territory (dirt access from the north) then make your way down the Nass R to tidewater. Look for the suspension bridge and fish wheel at #12. Pretty quiet in Gingolx but there is a good home seafood eatery just as you enter the hamlet.

Backroads, you can drop down to Ootsa Lk to kinda parallel the highway.

FSJ has a historical attraction, decent CGs on the lake (SE shore) and a hike up Mt Pope

On way back another idea is Barkerville, may not turn your crank but you can start a backroad loop from there and could extend it further south thru the Cariboo. If you then work your way over to Clearwater on Hwy5, Wells Gray PP is good for waterfalls.

Lots of hiking in the Kootenays but might be to early at elevation, IDK.

Are you hiking the Berg Lk Trail ? The mtn Parks can get busy, we've over nighted here a few time (not bad fwiw).

BTW have you seen these, Banff and Jasper for hikes ? When we've driven thru it's been either smoked out or a summer madhouse. Hopefully some could work out for you in May.

Edited by klahanie, 13 April 2019 - 05:03 AM.

#8 joelFWC

joelFWC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCoastal British Columbia, Canada

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:39 AM

Kal,

<clip>

Hyder mainly for bears...and just to see that country...Telegraph is probably a no-go since I read the '18 fire hit that area hard.

Bears are as much a blessing as a potential for conflict...I have good back country awareness..will enter and carry 12ga for use only in and around our FWC and then only in the most dire circumstance as a last option..hiking will be ify, as you mentioned moms and cubs will be out..

We plan 3 weeks and after Robson...no real route plans; going by the "all that wander are not lost" approach..any areas you can suggest for us to prowl would be appreciated..

Thanks again,

Phil

My two cents:

Bearspray. One per person plus one each backup is my standard.
I also wouldn't bet on only black bears up that way.

Also be aware, transporting firearms from the US to Canada can be very problematic if not illegal. Check it out well in advance.

On a lighter note: https://www.backroad...ackcountry-maps

Good books once you get the hang of them.

There are supporting apps and stuff but I'm still an old book, map, and compass kind of traveller. Lots of great fishing all the way up to and where you are going. Who knows, might even see you on the road!

Cheers
joel

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:25 PM

My two cents:

Bearspray. One per person plus one each backup is my standard.
I also wouldn't bet on only black bears up that way.

Also be aware, transporting firearms from the US to Canada can be very problematic if not illegal. Check it out well in advance.

On a lighter note: https://www.backroad...ackcountry-maps

Good books once you get the hang of them.

There are supporting apps and stuff but I'm still an old book, map, and compass kind of traveller. Lots of great fishing all the way up to and where you are going. Who knows, might even see you on the road!

Cheers
joel

Thanks...yes we carry bear spray...entering with a shotgun only requires "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration"  RCMP GRC 5589e...you fill it in but don't sign until after the firearm is inspected by RCMP at border and you pay the $25.....no big deal.

Will thumb through available Backroadmapbooks once I am in Canada to see if they are what I want or need...I have a ton of guides and one of their books already....yes, I am also a "map and compass" guy...not fishing on this trip...

Our Tundra is grey with covered Warn winch on front and a "Deadhead" stick on back window of the Hawk [sticker for my wife...I am too old for the Dead, more Roy Orbison era]...

Appreciate input...Phil

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

we are looking forward to as much of the Cassiar Hwy as possible...

One other thing, I understand the above quote but there really aren't a whole lot of roads branching off the Cassiar Hwy to explore and I know you mentioned perhaps only going as far as Mezadian. But if the weather is good you might just want to use the time needed to drive the hwy up and down for the experience and scenery - although the south end is blighted now with a major transmission line running thru the corridor.

Furthermore, despite with the devastating loss in Telegraph the drive in still has merit. And if there are any services offered there, they could sure use the tourist business.

Enjoy the trip !

Edited by klahanie, 13 April 2019 - 04:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users