7 replies to this topic

#1 peakay

peakay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:19 PM

Hi there,

My wife and I recently had a son in February, and it's been the impetus we needed to get serious about finally making the dream come true and getting a truck and pop-up camper. We've been thinking a lot about how to make his childhood fun and adventurous and share some of our favorite wild places with him.

We're totally new to the truck and camper world, so I thought it would be best to learn the ropes on a truck and camper system that is already set up. We need a dependable truck, and a camper that doesn't need a ton of work--but we don't have buckets of cash to throw around either.

I'm thinking a full-size truck with a cab that will accommodate a carseat with a FWC Hawk or ATC equivalent (Panther/Ocelot?).

There seems to be a great deal of knowledge floating around on this forum, so I'd like to hear suggestions/things to consider, etc.  

We're located in San Francisco, but open to traveling for pickup and driving home for the right setup.

#2 chevy1383

chevy1383

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:37 PM

I'm about to post my truck/camper combo for sale on wtw.

Its 2004 gmc with a 2008 hawk

If you are interested text me at 562 824 0735

#3 KevinsOffroad

KevinsOffroad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:30 AM

Couldn't tell if you were looking for advice, or a rig for sale...but since I have plenty of the former, and none of the latter, here's my input:

a) Even if it costs you slightly more in fuel to operate it, buy a 3/4 ton 4x4, MINIMUM, or step up to a 1-ton.  Most people lament NOT getting a more heavy-duty truck if they are tossing a camper on the back...not only with regard to weight capacity, but also with regard to braking, hill-climbing power, etc.

b- I love my Cummins diesel...but most folks prefer a petrol/gas engine instead for this sort of thing.

c) The Grandby version is 20%-30% larger/longer, and may be better suited to your growing family. They will also fit on a short-bed truck if you lower the tailgate.

I'm thinking a used 3/4 ton (or single rear wheel version of the 1-ton) 4x4 full-size crew cab is probably where you want to be.  There will be some brand loyalty, but it's my opinion that pretty much any of the Big-3 built within the last 10-20 years with say 50k-100k on it, will last you nearly a lifetime.

The Four Wheel Campers don't vary THAT much over the years.  You could purchase a brand new one at top dollar, or you could buy an older 1990's-2000's version that's been well cared for in good shape, spend some money to repaint the cabinets and re-do the floor (could be a hubby/wife project), and it would be almost as nice as the newer ones once you're done.

And, the nice thing about a camper, is that you can sell and replace the truck with a newer/nicer one later, and move the camper over.

Hope that helps!

Your mileage may vary,

Kevin

Edited by KevinsOffroad, 12 April 2019 - 12:31 AM.

#4 naz4x4

naz4x4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:35 AM

It might be worth giving an idea of your budget. My truck and camper cost under 5k (including some day 1 repairs and upgrades) but a 30+ year old truck isn't for everyone. Spending more for something made in the 2000s makes a lot of sense.

#5 barstool916

barstool916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:58 PM

Have a look at my truck/camper setup that I have for sale on my website. This has worked perfectly for me, my wife, my 5 year old, and our dog. We've just added one more to the family so I'm in the process of getting something larger. Would have kept this forever if I could. Located in Sacramento.

https://buymytruckan...daddysites.com/

#6 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

Hello Peakay
Welcome to WtW, and congrats on the newest member of your family. Yes minimum of 3/4 ton truck. Fords 6.2 gas motor has a good reputation y'all could probably fined a good deal on a slightly pre-owned one. Crew cab with an 8 foot bed is a monster in length 6 foot would be better. I would recommend sitting in a short camper like the hawk and then the longer version. You could ask for folks living in your area if you can do a visit to see the size if you are not near a builder or dealer. Gas of diesels will both do the job, just depends on your preference, both have their benefits. Our camper is optioned out, a shell or something similar, would open up the living space inside for sleeping. Lots of folks like that style as most time is spent outside, so cooking and so on outside. This brings down the price of getting into a camper.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#7 TangoDown

TangoDown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

I'll qualify my post with this - In the past 20 years, I've owned one 1/2 ton, one 3/4 ton, two 1-tons (1 gas & 1 diesel), two Excursions (1 gas & 1 diesel) and an F450 (diesel).

Diesel trucks are a pain in the butt - they are expensive up front, they are expensive to maintain and they are expensive to repair.  So why do people buy them?  One word - torque.  They tow like no other. 

But, if you don't need a diesel, don't buy one.  If all you're doing is hauling a FWC, you are no where near needing a diesel.  I had my FWC Hawk on a Toyota Tundra for a year (a Tundra is basically a 1/2 ton, although the rear ring & pinion was bigger than my older F350, but that's another topic)

It pulled the hills fine, even with a flatbed trailer & SXS behind.  And, I was completely within the truck's capacity.

A lot depends on what camper you get and if you're going to tow anything.  Anything other than a "shell" model will immediately put you at the upper limits of what most 1/2 tons can haul, or even over it. 

3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks are great for hauling, but keep in mind that if you're buying used, many people abuse them & use them like  rented mule.

I don't recommend a long bed, crew cab truck as a daily driver unless you absolutely need the bed space.  They are a beast to maneuver in town.

Edited by TangoDown, 04 May 2019 - 07:39 PM.

#8 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:03 PM

I have to argue a bit on here. First Congratulations,

#1 make sure your wife likes camping still. Try going tenting to see how it goes with a family before thinking a camper without a full bathroom will fit your families needs.

#2 a 2015 and newer ford f150 should handle a four wheel camper just fine as long as you do not try to haul everything around with you.

#3 almost any other brand and all older 1/2 ton or 1/4 ton Tacoma or Frontier can carry a four wheel camper if you add airbags or overload springs, and you don't plan to haul everything you own with you. If you like to bring fire wood, the dog, bikes and a cooler full of drinks, tow the boat and load water up before leaving home. then yes a 3/4ton or bigger is needed.

#4 If you plan to have more kids or a dog get a crew cab since you will need the space! 

#5 Think about getting an ARB style awning and Annex for more room for the family and to keep the kid out of the elements. 

#6 Enjoy fatherhood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users