Self Tapping ,Thru Bolt or Tapped

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

I'm asking about experience people have had installing strut brackets. As the title suggests, I'm considering all 3 methods. While thru bolting is probably the strongest, is it necessary? Are any of you having issues with self tapping not saying tight or pulling out? 3rd option I'm considering, is to drill and tap the camper for the bracket screws(not ball studs) but if the plate isn't at least 3/16" thick, that option isn't viable. What say ye.

Edited by Beach, 13 April 2019 - 05:58 PM.

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

I used self-tapping stainless steel screws to mount the strut brackets on my Hawk several years ago. They still seem fine...though I haven't examined them closely.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:25 PM

I used self tapping stainless steel screws as well on the struct brackets.

Be sure to use a quality UV resistant sealant on the screw threads an a dab on the hole before placing the bracket against the camper.

I don't recall the sealant I used on my camper, but, a product recommended by a member here.

Edited by Advmoto18, 13 April 2019 - 07:31 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#4 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:33 PM

I did the same as Mark, used self-tapping stainless steel (~ 3/4"-1") screws to attach strut brackets.  I also dapped silicone around the holes prior to inserting the screws. Brackets still seem secure after six years.

(2012 Hawk) 

#5 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:02 AM

What are "strut brackets" and exactly where are you installing them? 

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:18 AM

They are the mounts for the roof lifter struts. Look up the thread " roof lifter thingy" Not sure but I believe that's the name.

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:14 AM

Zirdu

I think what folks mean by strut brackets is..... the ball mount itself is part of a stainless plate with 2-3 holes.

Fastening this plate to the camper wall allows for a little bedding compound under the plate.

For a while the factory was using a simple post shaped ball mount although I am unsure what is current.

Sorry, I don't know how to send an image to the forum.

PM me your email address and I can probably send the image from my phone.

David Graves

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:43 AM

Hi Beach
Ours came with the self tapping sheet metal screws. I did find one had come our, and went up one size no problems so far. There is a tool out there which installs a nut in a blind hole. This is what I would do if there was a problem with screws coming out. Start with the sheet metal screws first, and if need be you have a backup plan. https://m.youtube.co...h?v=dkPhGIaPCVs
I would not use a nut and bolt to install buy the hand tool a correct size insert, a Commercial Fastner company should be able to help provide what you need
This is a pretty good product. http://topindustrial...ducts/sealants/

Russ

Edited by CougarCouple, 14 April 2019 - 03:47 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

There was a 'recall' on the first few months of the exterior strut installs, right after Four Wheel began offering them as a factory option, late 2013, early 2014.

I chose to do the repair myself, the factory sent me what I needed to do the job.

The original installation used an insert like in the YouTube posted by Cougar Couple, with the ball stud screwing into the insert.  The fix enhanced that by providing a plate that overlaid the nut with two additional lag screws, long ones as I recall, at further reinforced the mounting location.  The plate would spread the load over a greater area, which seems to have done the trick.

I have never looked a newer factory install to see what, if anything, is done differently from the factory.

Hope this helps.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:12 PM

The tube wall thickness is thin enough that I don't think threading it will give a lot of strength without employing more than two screws. Thru bolting is a leak path that I'm not interested in, and without getting into a complicated install you're more likely to crush the tube slightly than gain anything. Not really a fan of lag screws & bolts, but this is a reasonable use for them.

I use 3M 5200 to seal stuff like this. Shoot, if the screws fail the 5200 will nearly carry the load by itself. I hear all sorts of warnings about how you can't remove it etc. That's the point, I don't want to remove it. If I have to do so for some odd and rare reason a Harbor Fright heat gun works wonders.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users