• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

Problem with using regular silicone, it will break down very quickly under UV (sun) light.

Using a UV (marine) resistant type sealant will last many seasons.  

Don't use a sealant with adhesive properties.  You might need to remove the fasteners and you really don't want to be applying heat along the roof line to remove them.

Edited by Advmoto18, 14 April 2019 - 05:15 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:11 PM

I doubt removing a screw bedded in 5200 will be much of a problem. It would be more about removing some sort of flange with a lot of surface area that was bedded in 520 that will need heat.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:15 PM

ntsqd when the thru bolt method is used and there is a concern on crushing tubing. A larger hole is used on one side of the tubing and a sleeve is inserted. That sleeve prevents the tubing from being crushed.
Sorry could not find an example but I’ve seen it used in instructions to attach after market parts to automotive frames.
But I agree with you that it would lead to water intrusion, not to mention how difficult it would be to get to the inside of the frame.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

I've used and even suggested that technique in the past in various situations. I just didn't know if we were ready to get to that technical of a solution yet. It's a tricky solution because if the sleeve is long and not welded to the wall it projects from then you've really only captured one wall of the tube, which I don't see as being much superior to simply threading the near tube wall. If the sleeve is carefully cut to be exactly flush on the far side you haven't really gained anything over having it long as no load can be transferred from mere contact with an unrestrained tube wall. If it can be welded into place, to either both walls or the far tube wall, then you've captured both walls of the tube and the load is transferred to both sides of the tube. Same if the sleeve can be inserted to fit between the inner faces of both tube walls such that tightening the screw or bolt pulls both walls tight against the ends of the sleeve.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users