• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dudekdj

dudekdj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

I just purchased a used 2004 Granby shell model. My question is about the bottom of the camper that rest on the bed. Should there be some sort of support slat to keep it off the bed to prevent water damage? If so what is the orientation and material for these. I was thinking aluminun running the width of the camper. Since I am brand new to truck campers I wanted to see if others had thoughts on what to do.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

There usually is a lattice of 4” wide 1/2” plywood to keep the floor out of the wet.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:07 PM

Should my used 2004 Grandby have some type of salt on the bottom to allow water to drain. If so what orientation and material is used?

Yes, if you want, it’s a lattice. Stiles along the sides of the bottom, with 3 or 4 rails connecting. It’s usually 1/2” ply wood. I believe some people don’t have them, but it’s protection for the bottom. You can also put hard foam panels into the lattice for insulation, it would resemble a paneled door. Your choice.

To keep things together, I merged your second thread into this one.

I am haunted by waters

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:22 AM

Hi Dudekdj

Welcome to the forum...there are typically plywood strips running the length of the camper on either left and right edge and equally spaced across the bottom. My 2012 Hawk has only these long strips with no cross lattice. On my camper there are 4 layers of 5/8" ply 4" wide.

This is a good time for you to measure the side height of you truck bed and factor how high you wish to build up the bottom strips....in order to provide clearance where the camper hangs over either side of the bed,

One needs about 2 inches of vertical clearance to allow for some clearance of camper body over the top of your truck fenders

Some campers have greater clearance above the bed sides and some folks store assorted stuff there....shovel, ground carpet etc.

Good luck with the new camper !

Where are you located ?

David Graves

north Oregon coast

Edited by DavidGraves, 15 April 2019 - 04:50 AM.

#5 dudekdj

dudekdj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:33 AM

I reside in Southern Az a little north of Tucson. It is pretty dry here but on trips north I want to keep the bottom in good shape in the event of extended rain and wet. Thanks for all the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users