18 replies to this topic

#1 sameguy

sameguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

I have seen quite a few people mount jerry can holders to their jack brackets.  Some add additional support from underneath.  I would like to avoid doing this as I will be needing additional fuel on maybe one or two week long trips a year and will have them off the rest of the time.  I'd rather not have a piece of metal bolted to the underside of the camper overhang when the jerry cans aren't needed.  

If you have mounted jerry cans to your jack brackets without additional support I'd love to hear how it's worked out and see any pictures you could share.  If its a terrible idea, does anyone have any suggestions for support that could be easily removed when not in use?

2012 Tundra DC 4x4, lightly modded
2016 FWC Hawk Shell

Little Guy 6 Wide Sport Teardrop, heavily modified, still for sale

#2 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:34 AM

A 5 gal. jerry can full will weigh approximately 40 lbs plus the weight of the holder.. This is enough to tear the jack bracket off the camper after hitting a few ruts or pot holes. You may want to consider through bolts  (4) in the rear frame members of your camper to which you can attach a can holder which can be removed when not needed. You may want to look at "rotopax" and their mounting system for ideas.

I have bolted a 1/4" aluminium mounting plate to the underside of the camper to support the weight of the fuel can and holder. The outside edge of the holder is bolted to the jack bracket to help stabilize the load. The support plate is 30" x 9" and is mounted such that 8" sticks out to the rear of the camper the can holder is 7" wide and sits on the outside 7" of the plate (leaving a 1" gap between the back wall of the camper and the fuel can holder. 2 1" x 1" aluminum angles are bolted together and then bolted to both the corner jack bracket and the can holder to stabilize the load. I have been rear ended and the bottom of the holder is about 4'9" off the road, so no burst fuel tank!! (only the truck need repair, not the camper)

If I were to build it again, I would try to find the frame members and mount  (through bolted as high as possible) a large plate to the back wall (with a 1" gap), then mount the can holder to the plate. The can holder could then be removed when not needed.  

good luck with whatever to try to do.

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#3 sameguy

sameguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

mynxd

thanks for the advice.  Do you have any pictures to show how you have put your setup together?

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

There is a thread where this was discussed at length. I'm not good at finding threads on this forum or I'd link it. Put me in the "against" camp too. If the truck has a receiver hitch I would suggest building to mount in that.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:37 PM

Aren’t the jack brackets one of the strongest points on the camper? They carry the entire weight when the camper is off the truck. I’ve bolted a number of things to them and never had issues, on or off road.

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:00 PM

Was this the thread?
http://www.wanderthe...uel-cans/page-9

Look at post #87 by Craig333 for a method of additional support.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 sameguy

sameguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:32 PM

Thank you for the link.  Lots of great information there.  I think I've come up with a solution.  In the picture below from Rocky Mountain FWC, they have an aluminum plate bolted to the bottom side of the camper overhang.  I can do something similar, but with a keyhole type affair drilled into the plate, that way I can simply loosen the bolts and drop it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 17352522_1453682251348753_1223874727912717047_n.jpg

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

#8 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:41 PM

Here are  some pics...….

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190417_095005139x.jpg
  • IMG_20190417_095038320_HDRx.jpg

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#9 Danneskjold

Danneskjold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

Thank you for the link. Lots of great information there. I think I've come up with a solution. In the picture below from Rocky Mountain FWC, they have an aluminum plate bolted to the bottom side of the camper overhang. I can do something similar, but with a keyhole type affair drilled into the plate, that way I can simply loosen the bolts and drop it out.

I would suggest using angle aluminum on the bottom.

Edited by Danneskjold, 19 April 2019 - 07:03 AM.

#10 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:43 PM

AT Overland Equipment makes a fuel can bracket that mounts to the jack brackets. You can see a picture of one on a FWC here:

http://store.adventu...corner-bracket/

I'm thinking of getting one because it strikes me as a safer, easier, sturdier way to access the roof (fuel can removed). Has anybody tried this?

WHOOPS! Just read the AT Overland site again, and the bracket I mentioned is part of a system, expensive system I can't figure out. 

There's been a discussion here:

http://www.wanderthe...r-installation/

Edited by MountainSufi, 03 May 2019 - 11:24 PM.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users