• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Pennarcher

Pennarcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:44 AM

Can't decide on a hawk for 2014 ford f250 with a 6.5 bed or leave the tailgate down and go with the granby. Pros and cons?

#2 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:14 AM

Tailgate down looks totally wrong IMO

CWDT

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:49 AM

Cons w tailgate down:

1) Ruin your tailgate from rocks/dirt hitting it

2) Weight is way too far back.  Front wheels will be light and steering/control will suffer

I just sold my 3/4 ton... and I loved that truck... to get a 1 ton 8' bed for my PUMA/Grandby build.

#4 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:36 AM

Our Grandby works just fine on our Dodge 2500. I have Timbrens both front and rear to level it out. We also haul a Ruger trailer loaded with gear and bicyles on top of that. As far as handling is concerened, it doesn't handle any worse than my old Dodge Dakota with a FWC Ranger II shell. It was a tad light in the front too. I can't imagine that all those Tacos with FWCs on them are any better. Most of them are totally overloaded, which your F250 won't be. It also depends on how much you value the extra room inside the Grandby. We enjoy it.
We bought the shortbed for the tighter turning radius. I didn't want to drive a longbed.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

A camper built for the bed length would be the safer route. If you ever tow with the camper on, you either need an extension (which reduces the amount of tongue weight you can have), or possibly risk damage to truck/trailer/camper if you get a jackknife when backing.

I am haunted by waters

#6 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

We have 6.5 bed f150 with Granby.. like the extra room. Ours however is built light .. 1000 lbs.. and therefore I don't think its an issue. Hardly notice it is there with airbags and good tires.. IF.. I had a fully loaded Granby I would want a bigger truck, but ours is not on full time and I need a truck for work..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:31 PM

Pennarcher

Hello and welcome.

One way to consider your decision is to go buy 15-1800 pounds of rock or cinder blocks on a pallet.

Loaded with supplies, water, food and toys you may easily reach those weights when heading out for a two week trip.

Position it in your truck at the center of gravity for a Hawk and then for a Grandby and see what you think.

A whole lot will depend on your driving skills and whether you ever leave asphalt.

Do you intend to leave the camper on your truck full time?

David Graves

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Hello Pennarcher and second the welcome to WtW. For us we felt the camper for 6.5 beds was just too small. That said there are plenty of folks with a larger foot print camper in the shorter beds. There is a post on this site I think where the owner made extension and ditched the tailgate. Yes the center of gravity would most likely be aft of the axle. If you want the larger camper you could live with it, and when this truck wears out you have the option to get the 8 foot bed.

Russ

Edited by CougarCouple, 21 April 2019 - 11:09 PM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:46 AM

As you can see from my thumbnail picture, our 2009 Hawk fits perfectly on our 2011 F-250 extended cab with 6+ bed. I leave the Hawk mounted on the truck most of the time and am so happy that it isn't any longer. It's almost a daily driver still at this size. The rear bumper is totally accessible, works as a step, and allows easy access to the spare tire if necessary. I don't have to worry about banging a corner of the camper on anything.

Several years ago we stopped by the FWC factory for a tour and I showed my rig to one of the employees and mused that maybe I should have gotten the longer Grandby. He was definitely of the mind that if you can't fit it in a Hawk, you don't need it!

#10 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:03 AM

For us, if we wanted a Granby, we would have gotten a long bed. As I have gotten older, I've become a big fan of using things for what they are designed for. Tailgates are not meant to support the back of a camper, and they are not meant to spend a lot of miles in the down position. I have driven plenty of lumber around with various tailgates down, but I wouldn't want to do extended highway and offroading like that. The center of gravity thing is probably the most important thing safety-wise. Does FWC say that using a Granby in a short bed is ok? If they don't, you'd have a hard time defending yourself from civil action in the case of an accident. Plus you have to either redesign the spare tire carrier, or do without it, which is not good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users