• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:54 AM

My take: never leave tailgate on and try for no rear overhang. Hawk has all the amenities (sleeping, seating, cooking , heating, frig, etc) of the Grandby just short of some floor space. If you really need floor space a Fourwheel camper is not a good choice even if a Grandby.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#22 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:42 PM

Honestly, I'm sure you're fine. Your F-250 will handle the weight and shift in CG just fine. If it is a CC or Diesel, you'll still be balanced forward quite a bit anyway. 

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#23 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:17 AM

My take: never leave tailgate on and try for no rear overhang. Hawk has all the amenities (sleeping, seating, cooking , heating, frig, etc) of the Grandby just short of some floor space. If you really need floor space a Fourwheel camper is not a good choice even if a Grandby.

Hi fuzzymarindave
Been trying to understand your post, could you please elaborate a bit for me. I see more than than just a few square feet of floor space, with the grandby over a hawk.

Thanks Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#24 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:45 AM

I read once that one # behind the rear axle is equivalent to three #'s in front of it. So one more vote to stay with the Hawk on a short bed truck since the extra length of the Grandby will be 100% behind the rear axle!

#25 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:27 AM

To put some numbers to it, near as I can figure, the F250 short box CA (cab to rear axle) is 40", the rear overhang (axle to end bumper) is 52", the Granby cog is ~ 43" (varies with layout and packing) and the lower body length is ~97".

Assuming the cab to front of box is ~3", the cog would be ~6" aft of axle and the Granby would extend ~8" past the bumper.

The short box superdutys have a pretty good length, ~6'10" so camper should be a bit more in the box than in CM's great pics, post #17.

My own first preference would be 8' box for a 8' camper but as I posted, I think I'd be okay with the set up above. As for counsel, there's so many over length or overweight rigs around I'm not even going there.

Major Con I see with the Granby is lack of rear bumper. It would be a real shame to damage the tailgate and maybe the camper door. They'll be work around tho.

#26 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hi All

As an historical side note to this discussion, GMC used to make an 8-6" rear bed...cannot remember the badge on these trucks....but mostly in the late sixties vintage.

I don't think Chevy did this but only GMC.

David Graves

#27 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

Hi fuzzymarindave
Been trying to understand your post, could you please elaborate a bit for me. I see more than than just a few square feet of floor space, with the grandby over a hawk.

Thanks Russ

Actually on the flatbed model the ONLY difference between the Hawk and the Grandby is about a 20" wider dinette. (and of course more storage under the benches too.) We changed from the Hawk flatbed to the Grandby to have a place for the both of us to sleep when we do 'stealth camping'. (Hasn't happened yet!)

#28 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

Hi All

As an historical side note to this discussion, GMC used to make an 8-6" rear bed...cannot remember the badge on these trucks....but mostly in the late sixties vintage.

I don't think Chevy did this but only GMC.

David Graves

Chevrolet was called the Longhorn   GMC was called the Custom Camper

#29 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

Major Con I see with the Granby is lack of rear bumper. It would be a real shame to damage the tailgate and maybe the camper door. They'll be work around tho.

That was and is my biggest concern with the Grandby on a 6.5 bed.

Most times, I pull a trailer with an extended tongue on the trailer.  When no trailer, I purchased a solid, 18" ball mount extension.  Its about as heavy as an anchor on a battleship and just as stout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users