#1 wpage66

wpage66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:04 PM

First loading for spring and noticed I now have a sliding rear window on door.

Looking for away to fix. The benzel on the inside has screws so I guess I will start there.IMG_20190423_175759.jpeg IMG_20190423_175832.jpeg

purchased used, 2007 Hawk, fridge, hot water, awning, sitting on 2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel Pro4X.

Learning the tricks and trying to keep my mod bug in check.

#2 OffTheGridMaps

OffTheGridMaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWhitefish, MT

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Oh no!  I was just at an RV shop getting some sealant work done and while were looking at the door he asked if the window had ever slid down (like what you show).  The RV guy mentioned that if the window had slid, the frame probably has "tabs" that hold the window in place, and that based on your pictures, your bottom tabs may have broke.  He said that if that was the case, you may be able to take out the window + frame, flip over the frame (putting the top tabs on the bottom?), put the window back in and reseal. 

*Note: never tried it, never seen it, have no idea if it would work, just overheard in a passing conversation.  Try at your own risk.  I would call the factory and ask what they recommend.  They're very helpful!

Edited by rkd, 23 April 2019 - 11:10 PM.

2005 FWC Eagle | 2003 Toyota Tundra

OffTheGridMaps.com - Maps of Montana's best outdoor recreation activities

#3 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:08 AM

I had to replace the window on my old 2000 FWC. It is very easy but I had to save the clear glass because most replacements I found didn't have the clear glass.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#4 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:15 AM

Search Amazon for Valterra A77008 Black Carded Exterior Entrance Door Window Frame. It says the glass is 12×21.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:09 AM

Kinda red neck, but ... Thinking about what I would do if this happened on a trip somewhere... 

Just push the glass back up, and silicone around the edges to hold it in place?  At least, until you find a replacement?  

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

Knowing me I might try flip it over or make new tabs all the while applying lots of sealant. Would have a better idea after it was apart as to what route to take. Try a fix first before spending money on new.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 OffTheGridMaps

OffTheGridMaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWhitefish, MT

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:29 PM

When I was looking into sealing my rear door window, I found these 2 related posts from 2017. Hope they help:

http://www.wanderthe...eak#entry177534

http://www.wanderthe...l=+window +leak

Also, when I talked to the factory, they recommended 3M or RTV sealant over a basic silicone sealant (which will stay sticky and attract dirt).

Edited by rkd, 24 April 2019 - 04:40 PM.

2005 FWC Eagle | 2003 Toyota Tundra

OffTheGridMaps.com - Maps of Montana's best outdoor recreation activities

#8 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:48 PM

Just thinking out loud but if the tabs aren't strong enough to support the weight of the window I would find something else that is. There might be room between the 'tabs' and the bottom of the cutout in the door..

Silicone sealant does not bond well to glass or aluminum and it's elastic enough to still allow the window to move around a bit.

Vic's idea sounds OK until you have to remove all that RTV in order to do a real fix. It doesn't bond well long term but always seems to when you want to remove it.

Another quick fix might be to use clear packaging tape to seal the gap until you get home. Some acetone will easily dissolve the glue left behind when you peel off the tape to do your repair.

Rant: It bugs me that the door glass is held in place this way. It should be glued or at least gasketed in place.

#9 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

wpage66,

When you take the frame out please let us know what the door is made of.

Thanks,

John

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:04 PM

My door window got shattered on a trip (I subsequently learned from that trip to have a piece of Luan 3/16" cut the same size of glass...I store it under the mattress... hardly any weight and handy in a bad situation). I dismantled the door and installed new glass in the frame. there were tabs on mine but not much other than a groove to put sealant.... than the frame screws held it tight... has been fine since...5 years. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users