• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

After reading some great posts here I decided to add lock nuts to the turnbuckles on my FWC.  They would usually loosen up after long drives on rough dirt roads and I spent a lot of time re-tightening them.  

I hope this will take care of the issue but I'll probably continue to check them until I learn to trust the lock nuts.

OK, the questions:

How tight do you tighten your turnbuckles?  I've got the basic stock turnbuckles supplied with the camper by FWC.  I usually tighten them as tight as I can get them.  Disclaimer - I'm not a particularly big strong guy.  How do I know what's tight enough?

What do you use to tighten them?  I stick a regular screw driver in between the legs of the buckle and use that as a lever.  Is there a better way?

Thanks!

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:41 PM

...How tight do you tighten your turnbuckles?  ...

What do you use to tighten them?  I stick a regular screw driver in between the legs of the buckle and use that as a lever.  Is there a better way?

I tighten them as tight as I can...without going crazy. :wacko:   

I usually use a screw driver, too.  But sometimes Vice Grips to grip it instead of a screwdriver to skewer it.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:45 PM

I found that in the tight confines of the Fleet and Toyota Tacoma pickup bed, that I had to use a small stubby screwdriver to get those turn buckles tight.

I tighten them almost a full turn past hand tight. Some corners take a bit more, some less.

I also find that one particular corner always loosens up. I check the buckles before heading out on long drives and after having driven on bumpy roads.

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:08 AM

Read The Fine Manual. :P  Located here:

From the Four Wheel Camper Owner's manual for 2012-2016 campers.

"Each turnbuckle must be checked periodically to ensure the proper tension is applied. There are two front turnbuckles, and two rear. The driver’s side access panels(port holes)are visible beneath the kitchen galley, or under the front dinette seating area (depending on the camper floorplan). The passenger side access port holes are located beneath the couch seat cushions or the lower passenger side floor areas. Twist/Turn the aluminum turnbuckles to either tighten or loosen theconnection between the eyebolts on the camper, and the eyebolts in the bed of your truck.Each turnbuckle needs to be tightened hand tight first, and then a half turn to a full turn tighter using a lever, such as a screwdriver. The first few times you travel with your camper, and especially on the first trip, the turnbuckles will loosen. After about the first 25-50miles, check the tension on all four turnbuckles, then check again frequently as needed.If you find they are loose, tighten them up as needed.If you find a turnbuckle loose, check to ensure the camper is still square onthe bed of your truck. Once the camper is square,tighten the front turnbuckles first, and then tighten the rear set. "

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:35 AM

Hi Pj
I only have the experience with this our first and only popup. We were given pretty much the same above instructions from ATC, with the exception of, haveing one particular end of the turbuckle always to be upright. I marked them for location and which end up, and have always used them in the same location. Following above instructions hardly ever seem to find one to be loose anymore.
With the same end up seems like you are always tightening the same direction, and loosening the same way.

Hope this helps, sorry can't say what determines the end to be up our turnbuckles if I remember correctly had three lines on the up end.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:39 AM

We do the half turn past hand tight (use a stubby screwdriver) and use lock nuts. This has worked well for us- no issues with loosening.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:00 AM

I was told by ATC that using a lever to aggressively could actually cause damage and only hand tighten. But half a turn with a screwdriver sounds more sensible to me.

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

I think it best tighten all four corners by hand and then, with a stubby screwdriver as a lever, do a half turn on all four corners and then set the lock nut. As Russ says, it is a convenience to place each turnbuckle so they all turn the same direction to tighten and loosen. In all our varied and rough driving, finding a turnbuckle loose is a big surprise. It just doesn't seem to happen. That doesn't mean we don't still check!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:10 PM

Great info, thanks everyone.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#10 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:40 AM

Hi Pj
I only have the experience with this our first and only popup. We were given pretty much the same above instructions from ATC, with the exception of, haveing one particular end of the turbuckle always to be upright. I marked them for location and which end up, and have always used them in the same location. Following above instructions hardly ever seem to find one to be loose anymore.
With the same end up seems like you are always tightening the same direction, and loosening the same way.

Hope this helps, sorry can't say what determines the end to be up our turnbuckles if I remember correctly had three lines on the up end.

Russ

That is what we were told at FWC as well; there are ridges on one end of the turnbuckle. The problem I found with putting the ridges upwards is that it is counter intuitive for me. With the ridges up, if you imagine yourself looking down at the turnbuckle like it is a bolt, turning it counter-clockwise tightens it. So I just make sure the ridged ends are all facing down, and then turning the buckle clockwise tightens it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users