2 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

Renogy's DC-to-DC charger as reviewed in the video below looks very interesting --- 20 and 40 amp models, lead-acid and lithium battery charging profile selections by DIP switch, temperature compensation (option), relatively inexpensive.

Hopefully we'll be seeing user experiences with it documented online in the coming months.

Note that it does not have the connections for solar like the Ctek and Redarc dual models have.  So the price may not be as good as it looks at first glance if you also have to buy a solar controller. (And will the two play well together?).

Link to manual

I'd be interested in comments anyone may have on the video or manual, particularly any observations or cautions more specific to truck campers like we have here on Wander the West. 

Edited by Old Crow, 03 May 2019 - 08:46 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

Cool product Old Crow... and very reasonably priced.  I've watched that dude's reviews before, and he is pretty good!  He raises some good concerns in his review. 

The "instant on" feature is not great.  That said, you could wire the "ignition sense" wire through an upfitter switch in the cab, and turn on the charger when you feel ready to.

Disconnecting completely is also not what I would want, because then my solar panels can't charge the house battery.

After a quick read-through of the manual, I am concerned that it isn't hugely sophisticated.  The dip switches do not allow for much customization of charging profiles, and it isn't clear to me that setting it to Lion battery type eliminates the "absorption" phase, which is the recommended practice for Lion... (but rando and others are more Lion aware than I am and may say otherwise).

Also, the temp compensation is not adjustable.  Strange.

I do see a place for this device, especially for folks who have Toyota and other vehicles with a low(er) voltage alternator.  Putting one of these in the alternator to house battery connection could really help with charging while driving. 

Feeding it into a second good solar controller (like the Victron models) and from there into your batteries would be ideal.

I'm sure there are more upsides and downsides to this unit.  It IS great to see Renogy jumping into this space, as it indicates recognition of the need... and that there will be more good products appearing soon! 

Edited by Vic Harder, 04 May 2019 - 05:36 AM.

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

I see Will Prowse has tested another Renogy DC-to-DC charger-- this one a 50-amp unit with a built-in MPPT solar controller...

Also- there's a link below the Youtube version of this video.  I see the price in this charger/solar-controller unit is $299 and there's a code for a 20% discount.... (but it's currently out of stock).   NOTE:  The 20% discount code is for the entire site (not just this item) and expires 12/1/19.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users