• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rabidsnipe

Rabidsnipe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

Question: Has anyone used a mid-size truck with a Fleet/Bobcat for two people and two kids (both currently age five)?  Did you eventually upgrade to a bigger truck/camper?  How did you manage gear storage for that many people?

We currently use a 16' (13' interior) travel trailer.  We generally camp for, at most, 3 nights in one place.  Because we both work full time, our trips are limited to weekends and vacations.  We don't really "overland" in the literal sense because we enjoy actually being outside doing things rather than driving.  We currently use our travel trailer as a place to sleep, use the bathroom, keep things cold (in fridge), and some gear storage.  We normally don't eat or cook inside.  We don't hang out inside the trailer.  Even though we have a wet bath, we have never used the shower.  We view the trailer as basically just a fancy tent.

The reason I'm looking at campers is that I'm growing frustrated with the limitations imposed by the trailer.  Clearance issues, road condition issues, campground restrictions, etc all are frustrating.  While we do camp in developed campgrounds (mostly USFS or state parks), we enjoy getting off the beaten path in our travels (USFS/BLM dispersed camping).  The trailer has been a limitation to that type of camping.

Also, our HOA is pretty restrictive on parking trailers in a driveway.  This means any service has to be done at our storage garage.  It would be nice to be able to load the camper on and have it at the house where all my tools are.

I anticipate the camper would not be permanently installed.  My truck is currently my daily driver and I would like to keep it that way (primarily because of cost).

And feedback is appreciated.  And this is my first post, so hi. :)

-Chase

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

Chase, I’ll offer my 2¢ worth. That sounds VERY tight. It can be done, but your activities inside are going to be restricted to sitting, sleeping and moving over so someone can get past you. Your youngsters are going to get big in a hurry, and then it will be really tight.

You might look at some of the pop up tent trailers that are built with high clearance and rougher roads in mind, or maybe a large tent.

Hopefully, I am not raining on the parade, but it’s not a path I would take. I find my Bobcat tight with just me and one of the dogs along.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:48 AM

I think the biggest issue you will face is going to the bathroom at night.

4 people means both the upper and lower areas will be occupied at night making bathroom use an issue.

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:54 AM

My 1 cent (half as good as the 2 cent above)... way too many people in a FWC that small.  I'd consider going larger (truck and camper) otherwise you'll have to do it in a few years.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Rabidsnipe

Rabidsnipe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

I hadn’t thought about the bathroom issue at night. Do the larger options solve that problem (Hawk/Granby)?

#6 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

We have a 2014 Grandby, front dinette, my wife, yellow lab, and myself. We had always talked about taking one or two grandkids. It became apparent early on that the two of us and the dog were plenty. As it is, I usually get up, get dressed and take the dog for a walk so my wife can get dressed.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#7 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

I've done 3 people 2 dogs in an Egale...rain days were challenging.

#8 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:23 PM

Granby front dinette with toilet on an F250 here.

Significant other + me + daushound + Schnauzer and we are great. 

I could not imagine smaller.

I do not leave when she gets dressed.

Edited by patrkbukly, 05 May 2019 - 07:24 PM.

#9 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

We make a young family of four work in our 90's grandby no problem.  We have a the "roll over" couch not the dinette.  There's enough room to get down to the floor without disturbing the kids.  We do put an emphasis on spending most our time outside not inside if we can help it.  An 8' ARB awning and the awning room has helped a lot with more usable space if we need to be inside.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#10 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

I'm in roughly the same situation, two 5yr old boys.

My thoughts were to only put 4 people in the camper when the weather was bad.  Most of our camping is in fair weather during the summer, so putting the boys in a tent outside would be fine.  We have good tents too, so a little rain wouldn't be an issue.  However, the camper does still have to fit 4 people if the weather does get bad, and one of the reasons to have a camper is to extend the camping season.

I wouldn't look at anything less than a grandby space wise, espicially if having some sort of toilet is important.  I was originally thinking of a front dinette, two kids and an adult up top, one adult in the dinette.  However, now I'm thinking of a grandby shell model, with two fold down bunks from each side.  The kiddos could climb up and down to get in/out of the upper cabover and the adults could sleep on the bunks and not have to climb ladders.  This layout has some issues, but seems to be the easiest way to sleep 4 people.  Obviously this forces all cooking and kitchen activities outdoors, but we were planning on that anyways.  I could possibly build a fold out counter top above the side bunks to use when not sleeping.  The lower bunks could also double as couches if needed.

Just some ideas,

Kevin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fleet, GMC Canyon, Family

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users