26 replies to this topic

#1 Fleet007

Fleet007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPark City, UT

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:45 AM

Hi, looking for a little advice. I reached out to BF good rich and they were adamant that they cannot recommend any PSI other than 39. I’m running a 2018 Tacoma with a converted flatbed, carrying a 2018 4Wheel Camper fleet flatbed model. I purchased the camper fully loaded. My BFG K02’s are 265/17R16 with an E load rating. I know this topic has been discussed before on here but never specifically with the Tacoma and flatbed camper so I’m hoping to get some suggestions from you guys. What tire pressure do you think I should run on pavement, and then perhaps on backcountry roads? Thanks very much in advance. Mike.

#2 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:37 AM

I run 50 psi front and rear.  Seems to work well for me.

#3 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:05 AM

Here's a couple of comments on this topic from some earlier threads. I checked into this with Toyota a few years ago.

Copied from: https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14042-10-ply-tire-pressure/

"I posted about this earlier in this thread: http://www.wanderthe...d-air-pressure/

Toyota gave me some new door stickers for running LT tires on the Tacoma. - 46 psi front and rear for LT265-70-16. There was a Toyota TSB about this some time ago but I have lost the link. The dealer will install the new labels if you ask them. Saves having to redo the pressures every time you get the truck serviced."

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#4 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:08 AM

Here's my take on tire pressures with our Fleet on the Tacoma. 

Starting with the original tires from Toyota:

Toyota's placard pressures for the P rated tires are 30psi, front and back. The empty weight of our truck, fully fueled with two people (we weight 160 and 120 lbs) was 2700 lb front, 2000 lb rear.

Max axle weight per placard are 2910 lb front, 3280 rear.

So why does Toyota recommend 30 psi for all four tires? No idea, but a couple ideas are they are trying to keep it simple, optimize for gas mileage, braking performance, traction, etc.  Let's say the truck is loaded with 800 lb over the rear wheels and the passengers weigh 100 lb more than we do. Then both axles have 2800 lbs. This makes my thinking easier. It seems like a typical scenario that Toyota's engineers may have assumed.

The Kevlar tires that came on the 2018 truck are rated for speed T, 112 load index which is 2469 lbs/tire at 35 psi, max 51 psi. There are no table values past 35 psi. For trucks, P rated tires are to be derated 10%. Per https://www.toyotire...es_20170203.pdf (apparently Toyo tires are sized a little differently, so I did a little interpolation) the tires are rated at 30 psi for 2275 lb each tire.

Derating by 10% reduces this to 2068 lb/tire.

So if we load the truck to 2800 lb/axle, and have the capacity of 2 times 2068 lb/tire, then the tires have a "safety factor" of (2*2048)/2800 = 146%.

Overloading the truck and using E rated tires:

So then we got a camper, loaded it with water and camping junk, etc. and our axle weights went to:

2800 lbs front, 3600 lbs rear. Front is ok (max axle capacity 2910 lbs), rear overloaded (max axle capacity is 3280 lbs). We added Sumosprings which leveled out the truck and it seems to work well on and off pavement. We bought BFG KO2 tires, E rated which have tougher/more plies, and should use higher pressures.

I never found out why E rated tires need higher pressures. Perhaps the more plies create more heat. I've read that heat really damages tires, so under pressurizing is bad news.

After reading the toyo tires link above, it appears the basic method for E rated tires is to keep a similar safety factor. So I ran these numbers for the E rated tires in the same document, derating by the 146% factor. Their method is worded differently, where they ask you to use the rating at a certain load, but I think it amounts to the same thing. Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but it seems to match other methods I've seen mentioned*.

So I took the line for the LT265/70R16 Single tires, multiply by two tires per axle and divide the capacity by 146% for the same safety factor, and get this:

psi 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 Wheel weight (lb)            1,820            2,000            2,170            2,335          2,500            2,655            2,835            2,955            3,105            3,195 Axle weight (lb)           3,640           4,000           4,340           4,670         5,000           5,310           5,670           5,910           6,210           6,390 146%           2,267           2,491           2,702           2,908         3,113           3,306           3,531           3,680           3,867           3,979

So I weigh the axles and pressurize according to this chart. For mine it's 45 psi front, 65 psi rear. The 65 seems too high, so getting emotional about it and worrying about too harsh a ride, I use 45/55! That's the illogical conclusion. But I've only been on one long trip so far and will try the higher pressures next trip. Off pavement, very rough roads we've had success with 15 front /20 rear psi.

By the way, your flatbed with extra water, etc probably weighs more than ours. We've removed some stuff to lighten the load too, like the bed extender, not-full tanks most of the time, and lightweight backpacking gear.

*Other methods include:

http://www.fourwheel...run-your-tires/

and lots of anecdotal ramblings you find all over on line that are not scientifically based. One was from a tire dealer that made absolutely no sense! Lots of people on line say "I've always done such and such, and it's the only way to go", but I didn't find the reasoning very compelling.

Edited by rubberlegs, 09 May 2019 - 03:14 AM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#5 Fleet007

Fleet007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPark City, UT

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:01 AM

Thank you so much! I’m going to give 45/55 a shot. I greatly appreciate all the helpful information.

#6 wildlife2019

wildlife2019

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFarmingdale

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

A fair amount of intuition would be required for the following:  Perhaps having a close up video of at least one front and one rear tire during varying travel conditions would help evaluate the sidewall at the point of contact?   

Citizen of the World

https://nyti.ms/2HghC9D Jan 17, 2019 Vicki Goldberg NYT Art section Ansel Adams

https://www.census.gov/popclock/  "Net gain of one person every 14 seconds"

#7 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

Here's a couple of comments on this topic from some earlier threads. I checked into this with Toyota a few years ago.

Copied from: https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14042-10-ply-tire-pressure/

"I posted about this earlier in this thread: http://www.wanderthe...d-air-pressure/

Toyota gave me some new door stickers for running LT tires on the Tacoma. - 46 psi front and rear for LT265-70-16. There was a Toyota TSB about this some time ago but I have lost the link. The dealer will install the new labels if you ask them. Saves having to redo the pressures every time you get the truck serviced."

Did Toyota determine the 46 psi or did you tell them to put that on the sticker?

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:35 PM

Most E Rated tires have a max of around 80 psi.

I use to run my E Rated tires around 50 front  --  55 rear.

(when loaded up & ready to go)

Just my personal experience.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

Did Toyota determine the 46 psi or did you tell them to put that on the sticker?

Toyota determined the 46 psi. Most Tacomas have P-rated tires from the factory but some were delivered with LT tires. The pressures on the OEM door stickers were too low for the LT tires. As a result, Toyota issued a TSB regarding running LT tires on the Tacoma. They issued the new stickers to conform to the TSB for those trucks supplied with LT tires. While my truck was not supplied from the factory with LT tires, the dealer was willing to put the new stickers on my truck since I had put LT tires on it.

I have been running the recommended pressures with good results. I got over 60,000 miles on my first set of BFG KOs. I'm now running KO2s.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#10 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:59 PM

... While my truck was not supplied from the factory with LT tires, the dealer was willing to put the new stickers on my truck since I had put LT tires on it.

I have been running the recommended pressures with good results. I got over 60,000 miles on my first set of BFG KOs. I'm now running KO2s.

Thanks. I am in the same situation, so will ask the dealer. I have Cooper AT3 E with 30K on them and looks like they will go to 70k. I have been running 44 rear, 40 front and am slightly under GVWR when fully loaded, but I have the shell Fleet so no propane, water tank, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users