Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

Hi All,

Need your advice. I have one thing to fix and one thing to add.

The fix: I hate the Whale plunger type faucet. It leaks and does not go up to the off position quickly. I have installed a rebuild kit and it stills works like crap. I want to replace it with something better. What are your thoughts on a great sink faucet setup?

The add: I want to pressurize the outdoor valve and add a little hose w/spray nozzle, ideally with an easy to turn on/off switch near the back somewhere.  I think I saw someone say they have connected their outside nozzle to pressure but I don't think that he posted the actual mod. 

thanks to all for the forums!!!

Greg 

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:25 AM

Hello yubaman
Look into " bar faucets. " for a replacment as some are too high when the camper is in the down position. Not sure I understand your second part question. Are you speaking of the shower or the tank drain?

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:35 AM

Hi All,

Need your advice. I have one thing to fix and one thing to add.

The fix: I hate the Whale plunger type faucet. It leaks and does not go up to the off position quickly. I have installed a rebuild kit and it stills works like crap. I want to replace it with something better. What are your thoughts on a great sink faucet setup?

The add: I want to pressurize the outdoor valve and add a little hose w/spray nozzle, ideally with an easy to turn on/off switch near the back somewhere.  I think I saw someone say they have connected their outside nozzle to pressure but I don't think that he posted the actual mod. 

thanks to all for the forums!!!

Greg 

That would be me.   :D

Faucet - I can heartily recommend the Shurflo line ... like this one

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-4

On the how to pressurize the drain line, it really depends on how your version of the camper is plumbed.  Check your pump, so see what lines it pressurizes.  In my case, it ONLY pressurized the line going to faucet (I know that because I plumbed it that way).  However, the "city water" port also pressurizes the faucet.  SO, if the pump is pressurizing that line, you need a one way valve (or a simple shut off valve) to keep the pump from pushing water out of the the city line when it isn't hooked up.

Once you find a pressurized line, insert a "T" fitting into it.  Again, it depends on what kind of line you have.  I used at PEX "T", and routed that to the drain line. 

Then, you have to make a choice: Will the drain line be functional as a "drain" without running the pump or not?

I chose not, as I wasn't sure it would work, even if I wanted it to, with the extra bits in the way.

So, using NOT as choice, I cut the drain line close to the tank, and capped it off. Consequences?  NO way to drain the tank now without running the pump.  Problem?  Not so far.

Next, I took the output of that pressurized T I installed in the previous step, and connected it to the drain line.

I also upgraded the drain valve to a nice brass bodied, ball valve type.  Voila, pressurized outside water.

I hope that helps.

#4 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hello yubaman
Look into " bar faucets. " for a replacment as some are too high when the camper is in the down position. Not sure I understand your second part question. Are you speaking of the shower or the tank drain?

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I want to pressurize the tank drain and add a little quick connect hose and sprayer. Will look at the bar faucets. 

Greg 

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#5 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

That would be me.   :D

Faucet - I can heartily recommend the Shurflo line ... like this one

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-4

On the how to pressurize the drain line, it really depends on how your version of the camper is plumbed.  Check your pump, so see what lines it pressurizes.  In my case, it ONLY pressurized the line going to faucet (I know that because I plumbed it that way).  However, the "city water" port also pressurizes the faucet.  SO, if the pump is pressurizing that line, you need a one way valve (or a simple shut off valve) to keep the pump from pushing water out of the the city line when it isn't hooked up.

Once you find a pressurized line, insert a "T" fitting into it.  Again, it depends on what kind of line you have.  I used at PEX "T", and routed that to the drain line. 

Then, you have to make a choice: Will the drain line be functional as a "drain" without running the pump or not?

I chose not, as I wasn't sure it would work, even if I wanted it to, with the extra bits in the way.

So, using NOT as choice, I cut the drain line close to the tank, and capped it off. Consequences?  NO way to drain the tank now without running the pump.  Problem?  Not so far.

Next, I took the output of that pressurized T I installed in the previous step, and connected it to the drain line.

I also upgraded the drain valve to a nice brass bodied, ball valve type.  Voila, pressurized outside water.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Vic. I had no idea that the city water pressurized the faucet. I just fill the tank and go!! Greg 

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#6 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

Soon after I got my Fleet, it became apparent that the OEM Whale faucet had to go. I looked at a lot of bath and bar faucets online, searching for the right combination of rise above the sink and extension out over the sink, trying to maximize both. It had to be single-lever to solve the problem the OEM faucet had of wet hands dripping onto the counter when turning the handles. The replacement faucet can't rise too high or the ceiling will hit it when the top is down, but the one I chose is about as tall as possible. I made a little cushioned cover to slip over the faucet handle, which protects the wall fabric from abrasion when the top is down. The biggest problem was that the hole in the coutertop is rectangular, to accomodate the Whale faucet and any replacement will require a single or three round holes. My faucet needed a single hole, so I had to make a stainless steel plate to mount the faucet and cover the rectangular hole in the countertop. I caulked the heck out of it with 3M 4000. I had to redo the plumbing some and remove the sink to get at it. It was quite a project, but definitely worth it.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

Soon after I got my Fleet, it became apparent that the OEM Whale faucet had to go. I looked at a lot of bath and bar faucets online, searching for the right combination of rise above the sink and extension out over the sink, trying to maximize both. It had to be single-lever to solve the problem the OEM faucet had of wet hands dripping onto the counter when turning the handles. The replacement faucet can't rise too high or the ceiling will hit it when the top is down, but the one I chose is about as tall as possible. I made a little cushioned cover to slip over the faucet handle, which protects the wall fabric from abrasion when the top is down. The biggest problem was that the hole in the coutertop is rectangular, to accomodate the Whale faucet and any replacement will require a single or three round holes. My faucet needed a single hole, so I had to make a stainless steel plate to mount the faucet and cover the rectangular hole in the countertop. I caulked the heck out of it with 3M 4000. I had to redo the plumbing some and remove the sink to get at it. It was quite a project, but definitely worth it.

- Bernard

A cautionary tale for single handle faucets.

Ensure your water pump is off when traveling. A bump can flip the handle enough to turn things on. Multiple stories in Airforums about flooded trailers. We have found ours flipped, but thankfully... the pump was off.

I am haunted by waters

#8 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:31 PM

Good point, Sagebrush. Of course, I would "never" forget to tun off the pump before driving, but the padded cover I slip onto the faucet handle (to protect the wall fabric) also insures that the handle stays down.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

Good point, Sagebrush. Of course, I would "never" forget to tun off the pump before driving, but the padded cover I slip onto the faucet handle (to protect the wall fabric) also insures that the handle stays down.

- Bernard

I use a reusable rubber zip style tie to keep things from moving.

I am haunted by waters

#10 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

I have ordered a foldable stainless faucet from Amaaon and if it works I will post the item.

Regarding pressurizing the tank drain, FWC makes it darn near impossible to access the line without removing the tank, and that looks like a big job. (2012 Eagle) Anyone have any ideas? 

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pump, water, pressure, outside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users