39 replies to this topic

#31 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:17 PM

Here's one from our trip to Idaho - Sawtooth region over the last two weeks... we were on on our way home and drove through the Red Rocks Wildlife Refuge in MT.... this is Elk Lake.  We we having a lunch break and a cattle drive went right around our "secluded" spot!

gallery_6362_1070_1103654.jpg

Goofy 6.5' Hawk on an 8' bed truck.... but the storage space between them is golden!

#32 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:19 AM

I'd look at the cattle drive as a bonus.  Cool  :)

#33 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

Here's one from our trip to Idaho - Sawtooth region over the last two weeks... we were on on our way home and drove through the Red Rocks Wildlife Refuge in MT.... this is Elk Lake.  We we having a lunch break and a cattle drive went right around our "secluded" spot!

Goofy 6.5' Hawk on an 8' bed truck.... but the storage space between them is golden!

Love the truck/camper combo, and love the lunch spot even more!  Last September, on our 40th anniversary, we spent two nights at Elk Lake Lodge just out of sight about halfway up the lake from your lunch spot!  Did you drive all the way over from I-15 at Monida?

Foy

#34 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

Quick question: what size tire are you running? Stock seems to be 245/75-16, at least it was on mine. I replaced with 265/75 but have accompanying issues, i.e. slightly reduced mpg, Speedo error, a bit slower on acceleration with 6.0 gasser. If running stock size do you have ground clearance issues? Thanks in advance for your responses. Digging your new ride.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#35 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:14 AM

Love the truck/camper combo, and love the lunch spot even more!  Last September, on our 40th anniversary, we spent two nights at Elk Lake Lodge just out of sight about halfway up the lake from your lunch spot!  Did you drive all the way over from I-15 at Monida?

Foy

Foy, I'm pretty sure it was reading your experiences in driving this area that got me interested in doing the same.  Yes, we came in from Monida, and went further north on MT100.  I was hoping to drive the Gravelly Range road, but it was still closed.  ;-(

gallery_6362_1070_861587.jpg

I suspect you camped near this spot?  There was an RV parked there (within site of the lodge, I believe):

gallery_6362_1070_589458.jpg

We hit one BIG pothole on MT100 that really freaked out my navigator (aka wife and best friend!).  Should have stopped to check out the puddle before driving into it at 15 mph.  When we got to our next camping spot, we discovered that the shock of that bump opened our TF130L fridge door, and two other cabinet doors ... that have NEVER opened before.  Stuff everywhere on the camper floor!  

No major damage done other than the door of the fridge...it has a surface hole in it now ;-( from where the swinging fridge door and cabinet doors contacted each other.  Pic to follow.  Still keeps the beer cold tho!  I've contacted Northern Fridge (where I bought it) to see if this can be repaired/replaced.

#36 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:19 AM

Quick question: what size tire are you running? Stock seems to be 245/75-16, at least it was on mine. I replaced with 265/75 but have accompanying issues, i.e. slightly reduced mpg, Speedo error, a bit slower on acceleration with 6.0 gasser. If running stock size do you have ground clearance issues? Thanks in advance for your responses. Digging your new ride.

265/75-16.  Speedo error is on the conservative side, as verified by my GPS, about 10%.  As in, 76 mph indicated is 70 mph actual.  No ground clearance issues noted yet, and that's without any lift.

I DO have airbags, installed by the previous owner.  I thought I would never use these, but we encountered some "porpoising" on interstate road surfaces, and found that 15-20 lbs of air got rid of that.

#37 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:46 PM

Foy, I'm pretty sure it was reading your experiences in driving this area that got me interested in doing the same.  Yes, we came in from Monida, and went further north on MT100.  I was hoping to drive the Gravelly Range road, but it was still closed.  ;-(

I suspect you camped near this spot?  There was an RV parked there (within site of the lodge, I believe):

We hit one BIG pothole on MT100 that really freaked out my navigator (aka wife and best friend!).  Should have stopped to check out the puddle before driving into it at 15 mph.  When we got to our next camping spot, we discovered that the shock of that bump opened our TF130L fridge door, and two other cabinet doors ... that have NEVER opened before.  Stuff everywhere on the camper floor!  

No major damage done other than the door of the fridge...it has a surface hole in it now ;-( from where the swinging fridge door and cabinet doors contacted each other.  Pic to follow.  Still keeps the beer cold tho!  I've contacted Northern Fridge (where I bought it) to see if this can be repaired/replaced.

So as not to completely hijack this thread about hour cool "new" truck, good to know the suspension survived an unanticipated shock.  I normally tiptoe through puddles for exactly that reason.

I don't recognize MT 100 but it can only be the "North Road" from the Red Rock River crossing easterly past the Gravelly Range Road turn-off, through the sand dunes, past the Elk Lake Lodge turn-off, back to MT 509 near the foot of the grade up to Red Rock Pass.  For future reference, the South Shore Road (MT 509) is very good for the most part.

There's either a NF or BLM campground on the Benchmark right where you lunched and in our two trips to/through there (2015 with the truck and camper and 2018 on a fly-n-drive in a rental Jeep Compass) we overnighted at the Elk Lake Lodge (ELL).  Both times there were rigs camped at the mapped campsite.  

If you pass through again, consider a stopover at ELL to get the dust off and to enjoy a unique experience. Very comfortable cabins, lots of hot water, terrific food prepared in huge portions and served with a smile by the proprietress, and a cool small bar in the lodge with drinks and stories served up by the proprietor.  The bar closes promptly at 9:00 pm since Jake arises at 0400 daily to get the diesel genny going and power up the lodge and kitchen!  ELL is off the grid so their power is produced by the diesel genny and an impressive solar array. Jake and Laurel stay over all winter without vehicle access from late November/early December until late March/early April.  During that interval, Jake takes the snow machine and a towed sled over Red Rock Pass every 2-3 weeks to Henry's Lake, ID, digs his truck out, and drives to Bozeman for supplies since they open the restaurant and bar on weekends for snowmobile touring groups.  Tough cookies, those two!

Foy

Edited by Foy, 02 July 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#38 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:00 PM

Thanks Foy!  Back onto the truck topic... a box arrived today!

Headlight box

These are the custom headlights from Lightwerkz that I had made for my truck.  I have made these before (for a e46 BMW M3, a 2002 Tundra and a 2002 GMC Sierra)... but the chevy was too much of a challenge for me, because its headlights are very shallow, and the HID projectors I bought for all the other conversions didn't fit, even with much grinding!  
IMG 0848

Caesar is brilliant at what he does.  The HID projectors in here are even bigger than what I was trying to get to fit, with supposedly an even nicer beam pattern.  BUT, getting them to fit into the truck was another (small) challenge today.

light don't fit

The picture above shows the knurled fastener for the Bi-xenon bulb touching the headlight support plastic.  Without some grinding/cutting, it isn't going to fit.  So, break out the grinder and exacto knife!  The pic below shows the results (rough looking here, this pic was a for a trial fit... I cleaned it up before the final install).  Luckily there was nothing behind the plastic but space, and some soft aluminum.

IMG 0851

Lights installed, and on!  Aiming to follow (do you know how late you have to stay up in Calgary in early July to get it dark enough to even use/see your headlights!... that said... it makes for great camping!)

IMG 0854
IMG 0856

A  "before" picture for comparison. 
IMG 0844

#39 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:39 AM

Those new headlights look good.  I've seen new headlights put into older trucks that look mismatched, but yours look great.  Nice work!

#40 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Vic!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users