• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jbflanne

jbflanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:47 PM

Hey, first time posting here. First, thanks so much for all the threads...really great info.  My question: I'm hunting used FWCs ( brand new FWCs are just out of my price range). 

Which FWCs can fit the 2nd Gen Tundra? I'd like as much room as possible; I'm 6'3". My Tundra bed size: 78.7 inches long, 22.2 inches deep, 50 inches wide at wheel well, 66.4 inches wide at tailgate. Have the FWC dimensions changed over the years? 

Thx

Edited by jbflanne, 25 May 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#2 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

Most folks go with a "Hawk". To my knowledge the footprint hasn't changed over the years, so the length and width isn't an issue. What can be different is despite the model year, Hawks are built to clear the higher bed rails or cabs of various trucks. When you see an ad for a used Hawk, ask the seller what the height is from the bottom of the camper to the bottom of where the camper would sit above the bed rails. You'll also want to know the height clearance where the camper extends above the pickup cab. If you find that you need an extra couple of inches clearance for your Tundra, you can just lay some 2x6's or 4Xs on the bed to raise the camper up. Some people will add the extra height to the bottom of the camper. There might be some other factors that I'm not aware of so hopefully some other folks will pipe in about it. Good luck with your search!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#3 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:12 PM

I believe the standard Hawk will fit the 2nd Gen Tundra same as the 3rd Gen. I'm pretty sure interior bed dimensions are the same, they really are the pretty much the same truck except for a facelift and interior dash re-design.

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

I'm running a 2002 Grandby on my 2008 Tundra with 78" bed and using 2x4's under it to give it a bit of extra lift to clear the sides as the Tundra has a deep bed.  I also use a wind deflector on the cab as otherwise I had a lot of wind noise but others haven't had that issue.

The dimensions of the campers have changed a bit over the years, FWC used to have a page on their website that gave some guidelines regarding what year campers were required for newer trucks as the tailgate openings have gotten narrower.  A quick look at the FWC website and that information no longer seems to be available and the link in the what to look for when buying used sticky in this forum appears to no longer work as well but there is lots of good information there.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Hello JB

And a second welcome to this forum.

I am sure you know but there are two categories of "fit" in regard to your Toyota....size and weight.

Fixed component upgrades like an extra battery, solar charging or roof top loads can add weight.

It is also easy to overlook all the weight we might carry along in a camper for the typical trip.

This being said we used our Hawk shell camper on our Toyota T100 (stock suspension...upgraded tires) for several good seasons.

Happy camping

David Graves

Edited by DavidGraves, 29 May 2019 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users