• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:50 AM

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I decided this was a truck accessory of sorts so here it is. If the moderators want to put it somewhere else, fine by me.

I acquired this trailer off of Craigslist last summer. It has been a project off and on since then. i finally pretty much finished it and wrote up a blog post about it. If you are interested in old trailers, or want more details, there are photos and details in the blog.

http://travelswithro...am-trailer.html

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished project:

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:28 AM

Wow!!! What a wonderful transformation. As we say here in Oregon, you dun good. I want one :)

I am haunted by waters

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

That was quite an impressive make over!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

Very nice takeiteasy

Definitely a labor of love in there. You reminded me I had forgotten that there were even some cars with left hand thread on one side of the wheels at one time. I think it was a Chrysler thing.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#5 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

Very nice. Looks great, are you rally going to haul mulch, rocks or dirt in it?

2009 Single cab Silverado Z71 & 2005 Hawk
2018 Crew cab Silverado 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

2020 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:48 AM

Wow!!! What a wonderful transformation. As we say here in Oregon, you dun good. I want one :)

That was quite an impressive make over!

Very nice takeiteasy

Definitely a labor of love in there. You reminded me I had forgotten that there were even some cars with left hand thread on one side of the wheels at one time. I think it was a Chrysler thing.

Russ

Thanks Sage, Happyjax and CougarCouple for the nice comments. Yeah, I guess left hand threads were around on some cars until the early 70s. I'm sure I remember having one or two- just can't remember which ones, haha.

Very nice. Looks great, are you rally going to haul mulch, rocks or dirt in it?

Thanks for the comment Firemen7. I have to admit to some trepidation to dumping in that first load of mulch- hasn't happened yet. I had the same feeling with loading my truck the first time. But it is a working trailer- it has earn its keep. And it needs to get some of that old patina back! :) But dirt and rocks- maybe not, haha.

Edited by takesiteasy, 27 May 2019 - 01:50 AM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#7 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

Invest in a well-fitting sheet of plywood you can leave in to protect the floor from shovel-scraping your paint job if you haul dirt or rocks. If you can find some of the stuff they use in the kitchens at restaurants as a non-skid that lets spills through, that would be another option for loading boxes or "stuff" that might otherwise slide back and forth as you start off or have to hit the binders very hard that might dent the front/rear panels.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

Invest in a well-fitting sheet of plywood you can leave in to protect the floor from shovel-scraping your paint job if you haul dirt or rocks. If you can find some of the stuff they use in the kitchens at restaurants as a non-skid that lets spills through, that would be another option for loading boxes or "stuff" that might otherwise slide back and forth as you start off or have to hit the binders very hard that might dent the front/rear panels.

Yes, or stall mat.

I am haunted by waters

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:12 AM

Yes, or stall mat.

Yes, I have a piece of plywood finished with porch and deck stain in the trailer to protect the floor. I have been considering a rubber mat. I looked at stall mats but they are really heavy- like 100 pounds! There are lighter alternatives but I haven't popped for one yet. I also installed D rings for tie downs to prevent things shifting around during transport.

Thanks for the comments.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:30 PM

Here's a trailer update. For those that read our Denver trip report, you will know that the trailer lost it's connection to our truck at a rough railroad crossing. No real harm done other than scrubbing some metal off the landing leg casting.

As a result of that mishap, I made a new trailer coupling. It was a fun project.

For those that might be interested, I wrote it up in the blog:

http://travelswithro...ler-update.html

edited to add a photo:

coupler%2Bedited.jpg

Edited by takesiteasy, 24 July 2019 - 12:21 AM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users