23 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:55 AM

About a month ago we took a trip over on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. It was quite the adventure, that in a way is still unfolding. I have the story and photos now posted to our blog and you can find it here -

Eastern California Petroglyphs - May 2019

We hope you enjoy tagging along and, as always, we appreciate your kind comments. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:19 AM

Thanks as always for the fine report and all good wishes for your eye recovery.  That has to be scary.

#3 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

So sorry to hear about the optics. Sending good thoughts your way for a quick and full recovery.

What a great report nonetheless. For once I recognize most of the places you traveled. I'll be heading to Owens in the near future. Will be seeing some of those same sites.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

Hey Amigo,

The Bride and I send our best for a complete recovery! Great trip report as always! It sounds like you had a great time except for the detached retina. Good to hear that Ted’s out and about.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Elken

Elken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

Sorry to read about your eyes, hopefully they can successfully repair them.  I enjoy your trip reports and articles.

#6 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

Having had cataract surgery and detached retinas in both eyes, I can empathize.  On my left eye, a victrectomy was needed which required keeping my head with eyes down for 3 weeks. Not fun.

It did take several weeks for my vision to return to near normal. I am grateful for the expertise of the medical personnel that took care of me. The important thing is to stick to the prescribed recovery procedure by your opthalomologist.

Best wishes on your recovery and looking forward to more trip reports to come. Don't be surprised if you need a couple of corrective lens Rx changes over the next year. Be very open with your opthalmologist about any vision symptoms/changes..

Paul 

I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:34 PM

Thank goodness for your positive attitudes!  I hope the best for you, and a recovery "good enough" to let you experience and share many more awesome outdoor adventures.

Vic

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

Ski thanks for this report.Another great trip.

We both wish all the best for your eye problem

and a speedy recovery.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

Wow, interesting rock art area and I have another new place to visit!  Good to see the Ted's out and about and hope your vision problems clear up soon-there are so many neat places out there you still  for to see!  Just the thought of losing your sight especially while out and about is terrifying especially when you think about all the places we go and explore.

I remember years ago (this is not meant to be a hi-jack) I took a group of mostly handy caped kids and some grown ups from the county  out to a rock art site for a day field trip. An older gentleman who was blind was included in the group, I guess as an after thought by the county coordinator to give him an outing.  Over the years I had led lot's of groups of people of all ages to lot's of different types of prehistoric and natural sites but  how do you explain rock art to a blind person?

Earlier I had seeded the site with some old training arrowheads and let the kids look for them and  then  I explained what they were.  I put one point on a rock and told the blind guy to reach out and grab it.  He was in on the joke and we all laughed about it.  As I led the group around the site one of the kids took his hand and led him around the rocky area as I explained what what was there, and (how do I explain this), he reached out to touch one of the rock art panels I was describing it and  I grabbed his hand and let him trace the groves that made up that panel with his finger-and wow he just sort of lit up and understood what I was describing to him and his day was made from then on. I guess I should have expected that but  I have always remembered that experience and your experience Ski, sort of triggered that memory!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 30 May 2019 - 06:50 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users