29 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

I woke up with most of the windows of my house open overnight -- first time this year. That tells me that the meteorologists have it right -- today is the first day of [meteorological] summer -- summertime!

It looks like summer in The West, too, with the clarity of high pressure and and coast-hugging fog:

GOES17402019152MsOGI1_20190601-1.jpg

You can see the smoke from wildfires in Alberta, drifting down into the USA.  :(

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

Yup summertime here on the Monterey coast,FOG with some afternoon sun.

Sure beats the weather in other areas of the country though.

Happy summer enjoy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:37 AM

Yea summer! Floated the McKenzie for 22 miles for the first day of summer.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

Yeah, its miserably hot at work already. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:22 PM

Here in Pennsyltucky, we were getting severe thunderstorm and tornado watches and warnings daily last week and we're still having near-daily thunderstorms this week. It seems way early in the season for that as I normally associate it with hotter weather than we've been having.

The local TV station's weather crew was breaking in to broadcasts to warn residents in various local areas to take immediate cover as they were seeing rotation on weather radar.  I can't tell if that's because weather is more severe than it used to be or the weatherman now has more sophisticated tools to see it.

It's out-of-the-ordinary enough that I bought a weather-radar app (RadarScope) (the $10 version) to have a better view.  I liked comparing what I was seeing on the TV station's radar display with what I was seeing on the app.  And it works better for me than the Nexrad radar screen on Weather Underground.

I'm still trying to get a sense of when the color echoes indicate rotation. The weather guy starts pointing at something he says is rotation and warns viewers to take immediate cover.  But I could also see another very similar set of colors nearby and he's not mentioning that area.

It has also been useful to see how quickly the tornado warnings pop up and go away.  And the storm tracks allow me to click on the tracks at tick-marks along them to see time-of-arrival of the cell at that point.  And if I click on the beginning of the track, up pops the cell name, it's speed, and the size of the hail (if any) in that cell.

At one point we were in a tornado warning and I could see storm tracks close by on either side of us.  I went outside with the iPad and was fascinated to watch the storms pass by while I compared what I was seeing on the RadarScope display to what I was seeing in the sky.  I didn't even get wet as they passed.  To my south, I could see spinning tendrils of cloud drop down out of the ominous-looking wall-cloud, intensify a bit but then slowly just kind of fade out and disappear.  Then my view across the corn fields blanked out as the violent rainstorm swept through.  To my north, the clouds were darker and roiling but I didn't see a wall-cloud.

I'd like to have lightning strikes but in RadarScope that only comes with a recurring-payment version and I'm not quite willing to do that at this point.

Edited by Old Crow, 10 June 2019 - 11:20 AM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:38 AM

Yes, it is summertime. We took an easy few hour up country trip today. I felt good enough and safe to drive, a milestone for me. The Lady did not squirm around too much in the passenger seat as I drove. We drove up a small paved road til we hit snow still covering the road, about 6600 feet in elevation. A few vehicles were parked, snowmen were built. Many were hiking further up the road. We decided on a cross country route to a little known historic high country summer ranch site at around 7000 feet on the edge of a meadow. Travel was over huge snow patches, granite slabs, and sopping wet ground. The old compound looks long forgotten. In a few more years the old buildings will start to collapse. We last skied past this place about 15 years ago. It was good to return. The views from the meadow are outstanding of the snow covered Crystal Range to the east. We were always surrounded by the songs of mountain chickadees. It is summer.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

Summertime???? Well this week is starting better than last week anyway, just got my cut-offs out-supposed to be 93-wow! Last week, took the new dog (3 year old BC/Aust. Cattle dog named Timber)) up to the Devils Garden on the Modoc NF to see how she would do. Temps in the 70's, good fishing, hiking  and beer drinking weather but after a few days,the weather changed-a cold front moved in,with high winds and  a freeze warning was issued and a 20% chance of snow-yep snow.  That was enough for me-headed home, had enough of the cold, might as well sit in my house.  Boy, flood warnings out cause the snow pack is melting, can't win them all I guess, but the heat sure feels good B),

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 11 June 2019 - 04:24 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:29 PM

Just last week it was too cool out to open windows -- even during the day... This week it's too warm to open windows during the day -- only open at night!

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

Sure sign of summer here now - front mount snowblower off the tractor,The front end loader is back on.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

I'm hearing thunder (so must be lightning) here in Central Oregon right now -- and so far it's dry...  :(

GOES19402019163BIldqW_Jun-12-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users