28 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

Hey...well since my Sea kayaks [17'] have been sitting in my shop since I put my '16 Hawk onto my '05 Tundra I have evolved to the decision to buy a trailer to tow behind the Tundra.

Objective is to tow the lightest but off road /hwy safe trailer that can carry my two kayaks, WR250R off road MC and perhaps a canoe.  Only using the trailer when a specific trip will involve parking for an extended period where we can paddle or I can ride the MC off road.

I have settled on an aluminum flat bed trailer manufactured in Canada. Plan to add Yakima saddles to a set of bars for kayak and put the MC between them.  Trailer is 400 lbs @ 3K GVW or less if I drop to a 2K GVW, bed is 5 x 10 feet, 15 inch wheels and a 5 foot tongue.  Projected max load that I will carry is 700 lbs.

Trailers are new ground for me, as is buying and importing from Canada:

#1  What are the consequences of going from stock 4 foot tongue to 5 foot tongue [will give clearance for kayaks when turning]?  Affect on tracking, stability or backing up?

#2  Looking at US Customs regs for importing a trailer was a nightmare.  Confusing to say the very least.  Any advice and details on what is involved in entering US with new trailer bought in Canada?

Good news is that Oregon does not require licensing.

Any insights or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Phil

#2 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:55 AM

Soooo.....weird thought..... how far is the border? Got a buddy with a trailer? Could you cross the border with buddy towing the trailer with his truck, then switch it to your truck and come back across? I'm not saying do anything shady, just see. Then if it works out go back and pick up the new trailer and deal with taxes and customs after.

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:09 AM

Our TrailBlazer off-road tent trailer is set up with an extendable tongue. When the new UHD frame was built for it this seemed like a good idea. I don't know if my friend who had it built ever used it, we never have. It is pretty common to see "Overland" trailer tongues built this way. Most set up the "short" length so that they can jack-knife to 90° w/o contact.

My grandfather's RoT for tongue length is that the unladen tongue be 1/3 to 1/2 the trailer's wheelbase. That is tow connector (ball, off-road coupler, pintle) to axle centerline if a single axle trailer. I've designed a trailer using this RoT and have one of his built this way and they both tow very nice and are easy to back-up. A long WB TR will work you no matter what, have to stay ahead of it when backing up, but it's not like they whip around and jack-knife as soon as they 'crack'.

So, all of this being said, I think adding a foot to the tongue length will likely go in your favor rather than against you.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:45 AM

Soooo.....weird thought..... how far is the border? Got a buddy with a trailer? Could you cross the border with buddy towing the trailer with his truck, then switch it to your truck and come back across? I'm not saying do anything shady, just see. Then if it works out go back and pick up the new trailer and deal with taxes and customs after.

============================================================================

I just got back from three weeks in BC in the Tundra/Hawk....and trust me you do not want to even think about playing games at the border.....no, playing by their rules is the only way....but I think you are joking anyway  B)

Edited by Wallowa, 03 June 2019 - 02:46 AM.

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:49 AM

Our TrailBlazer off-road tent trailer is set up with an extendable tongue. When the new UHD frame was built for it this seemed like a good idea. I don't know if my friend who had it built ever used it, we never have. It is pretty common to see "Overland" trailer tongues built this way. Most set up the "short" length so that they can jack-knife to 90° w/o contact.

My grandfather's RoT for tongue length is that the unladen tongue be 1/3 to 1/2 the trailer's wheelbase. That is tow connector (ball, off-road coupler, pintle) to axle centerline if a single axle trailer. I've designed a trailer using this RoT and have one of his built this way and they both tow very nice and are easy to back-up. A long WB TR will work you no matter what, have to stay ahead of it when backing up, but it's not like they whip around and jack-knife as soon as they 'crack'.

So, all of this being said, I think adding a foot to the tongue length will likely go in your favor rather than against you.

Thanks..appreciate the advice...will go with 5'..

Phil

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:03 AM

Are you sure you can import one privately ? I looked at bringing one in the other direction - not permitted if I undetstood correctly.correctly. I'd be suprised if Can was more protective than US. (Not meant to offend). Often the targeting of specific goods is recipricated - or worse...

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:07 AM

Are you sure you can import one privately ? I looked at bringing one in the other direction - not permitted if I undetstood correctly.correctly. I'd be suprised if Can was more protective than US. (Not meant to offend). Often the targeting of specific goods is recipricated - or worse...

Well reading this makes it sound simple....but the website details are confusing.. yes, I can buy products in Canada and take them back across the border...the question is will it cost me $$$ and what exactly are the hoops I need to jump through..

Motorized vehicles are an entirely different matter than trailers...

https://help.cbp.gov...r-into-the-u.s.

Phil

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:15 AM

In the event your kayak use does not require daily loading and unloading:  I have carried two 17' long Pygmy wooden kayaks, each weighing about 40 lbs, on the top of our FWC Keystone Camper on the Yakima racks from Washington State to California with no issues.  It takes a bit to load them and unload them but they slide on and off just fine.  I would not want to take them on and off daily however.  I used the On-Stage crank up speaker stand to raise and lower the roof with the Kayaks in place with no issues.

I have Yakima racks on my bed cap too so when the camper is off I can still transport the kayaks.

Trailers are a hassle in California due to the speed limit of 55 MPH for any vehicle towing a trailer.

P.S. I know there are Cal;ifornia haters out there so let me just say in advance that we love the climate on the Central Coast of California in Solvang.  I have been here 40 years and have not found a better place to live yet. So we have decided put up with some of the hassle (although I try not to tow a trailer).  ;-)

Edited by ckent323, 03 June 2019 - 06:25 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

Pretty rare to see someone actually following that law while towing. When I do see it they usually have out of state plates. Most towing that I've encountered are moving along in the 60-65 range. Which is a good thing, going 55 would make them a hazard to themselves and to others. This dinosaur law left over from the national 55 limit really needs to go away or be adjusted up, but I don't expect to see our current elitist leaders doing anything about it. If they do, it will be to allow electric vehicles only to go faster while towing.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

In the event your kayak use does not require daily loading and unloading:  I have carried two 17' long Pygmy wooden kayaks, each weighing about 40 lbs, on the top of our FWC Keystone Camper on the Yakima racks from Washington State to California with no issues.  It takes a bit to load them and unload them but they slide on and off just fine.  I would not want to take them on and off daily however.  I used the On-Stage crank up speaker stand to raise and lower the roof with the Kayaks in place with no issues.

I have Yakima racks on my bed cap too so when the camper is off I can still transport the kayaks.

Trailers are a hassle in California due to the speed limit of 55 MPH for any vehicle towing a trailer.

P.S. I know there are Cal;ifornia haters out there so let me just say in advance that we love the climate on the Central Coast of California in Solvang.  I have been here 40 years and have not found a better place to live yet. So we have decided put up with some of the hassle (although I try not to tow a trailer).  ;-)

With all due respect....loading and unloading two 70lb sea Kayaks from the roof of the Hawk when we stop to set up is not an option; nor is covering the solar panel on the roof and off road the CG is negatively affected by having 140 lbs on top..

As to 55 mph...well, that is also a non-issue...I find that 55-60mph is a more relaxed pace and arriving a few minutes early is not my objective...

I appreciate the input but what I really need now is a first hand experience from someone that has bought a trailer in Canada and brought it back into the USA......before I plunk down my credit card for a trailer, I must know if and how I can get it back to Oregon.

Thanks...Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 03 June 2019 - 01:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users