28 replies to this topic

#11 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

Well reading this makes it sound simple....but the website details are confusing.. yes, I can buy products in Canada and take them back across the border...the question is will it cost me $$$ and what exactly are the hoops I need to jump through..

Motorized vehicles are an entirely different matter than trailers...

https://help.cbp.gov...r-into-the-u.s.

Phil

Phil- 

Looks like a key element in that document you posted is whether or not the trailer has a certification label stating that the trailer meets US safety standards.  If it doesn't you'll have to go with a registered importer and that importer may be able to answer your questions (and you'll pay them to go through the certification process).

If it DOES have a certification label, that suggests the seller has worked through the process and should be able to answer your questions.  In any case, I'd ask the seller about it (if you've not already done so) as they also have an interest in making the sale happen.

Also- is there something special about that trailer that's not available in the US?  That trailer manufacturing business has lots of players and what comes to mind is elmo_4_vt's Montrose trailer.  That took me to the Montrose Trailers web site where I see lots of options and nationwide shipping.  And I'd guess there's somebody closer to you that does similar work.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

Phil- 

Looks like a key element in that document you posted is whether or not the trailer has a certification label stating that the trailer meets US safety standards.  If it doesn't you'll have to go with a registered importer and that importer may be able to answer your questions (and you'll pay them to go through the certification process).

If it DOES have a certification label, that suggests the seller has worked through the process and should be able to answer your questions.  In any case, I'd ask the seller about it (if you've not already done so) as they also have an interest in making the sale happen.

Also- is there something special about that trailer that's not available in the US?  That trailer manufacturing business has lots of players and what comes to mind is elmo_4_vt's Montrose trailer.  That took me to the Montrose Trailers web site where I see lots of options and nationwide shipping.  And I'd guess there's somebody closer to you that does similar work.

Good advice and insights....will look at Montrose Trailers but the trailer manufacturer in Canada makes custom trailers to my specs  and does it very well..400 lbs or less weight and -26% from US/Canada exchange rate also helps...

I just got off phone with US Customs at port of entry that I will be using...key was new trailer for my personal use makes is simpler...

Needed to cross border/import the trailer:  A sticker or letter from manufacturer stating that the trailer meets US safety standards, bill of sale and temporary veh registration issued by manufacturer...that is it.

Phil

PS...Just called Montrose Trailers..unfortunately they are in Michigan and cost of shipping would exceed cost of trailer....and no, I am not up for a road trip across the Plains...

Edited by Wallowa, 03 June 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#13 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

I agree with "The Researcher"....looks like the real issue is that you need to see whether or not they have a US DOT certification. If not, use of an importer would be best/only way to go. Also, there is no mention of the cost to get the US DOT certification once you have it here. I've been through the process of importing both to Canada from the US and from China to the US.....they are the way to go, but will possibly be cost prohibitive with a one off type deal. Paperwork can be either super easy or super difficult, and there seems to be no in between. You may be able to contact a local importer for a free consultation, I personally would look into my circle of friends to see if I have any contacts that could talk to me as a friend.

The money spent on an importer could be used locally to support a local welder/fabricator to customize the trailer for you. I've found that most local fabricators near me (Ohio) are much more reasonable in their pricing than what I would have budgeted in my head with projects. 

#14 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

What is the manufacturer you are looking at? After looking at the forms, there is no duty to import the trailer. You would probably be on the hook for state taxes though. Trailers fall under section 8716 and as long as you are importing only 1, there is no tariff. If importing 2 or more, they are taxed at 45%. 

It looks like utilizing box 2b on the declaration paperwork would be the way to go. As it is a trailer, the only thing that would be necessary would be proper lighting, and as long as it conforms to Canadian law, it would conform to US(Standard 108). Standard 110 (proper wheel and tire load) should not be a problem as that is universal from the manufacturer. You would need a copy of the manufacturer's confirmation letter for this.

An importer would not be required for the declaration page as you would not be utilizing box 3.  

It doesn't look as daunting as initial thought....

HS-7 temporary import paperwork

CBP Form 7501 from Customs and Border for registration (which you will not use as OR does not register trailers)

HS799 short for Declaration with box 2b checked and manufacturer's confirmation letter of conforming to Canadian standards

Edited by corybrown50, 03 June 2019 - 04:17 PM.

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:17 PM

What is the manufacturer you are looking at? After looking at the forms, there is no duty to import the trailer. You would probably be on the hook for state taxes though. Trailers fall under section 8716 and as long as you are importing only 1, there is no tariff. If importing 2 or more, they are taxed at 45%. 

Thanks...only one trailer and manufacturer is Custom Express Trailers, Parksville, BC....just talked to them and they seem to have everything covered..bill of sale, VIN with safety std statement, export statement...BUT there isn't any registration, even temporary, that I can show Customs....registration not required in Oregon...picking up trailer in Delta, BC and short drive to border at Blaine...Custom officer said due to NAFTA there are no taxes/fees.

Hope to hell the lack of a registration/paper plate does not stop me at border...trailer I want is in stock so I will tentatively be picking it up on 6-12....

Hey, life is a crap shoot....490 miles to Delta...so another road trip with Tundra/Hawk, just not my usual off road style!

Phil

Ps...Forgot...no state of Oregon tax...no sales tax in Oregon...BUT, ready for this, a stupid "Privilege Tax" on registered vehicles of .5%, NA for my trailer...our state is going sideways like Kalifornica..  

https://www.oregon.g...tax_612-005.pdf

Edited by Wallowa, 03 June 2019 - 07:24 PM.

#16 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:33 PM

In a 100 mile trip on the freeway with no stops on the way, at 65 MPH it takes about 1.45 hours (slightly less than 1 hr 30 min). If you slow down to 55 MPH, it takes about 1.8 hours ( about 1 hr. 50 min.). OK, that's 20 minutes difference, but you can factor in the MILEAGE you will increase by SLOWING down and of course, the effect that a flat on the trailer might have with ten miles an hour difference....not to mention the time wasted getting the speeding ticket (most CHPs don't stop you for 5 miles over but 7 miles over is the limit I would go if traffic was moving along fast enough). The cost of that ticket is another factor.

Of course if you are on a two-lane each way road and traffic is bottle-necked because you are going 55 and semi's are passing you, then the Basic Speed Law says you are probably a nuisance at best...

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#17 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:48 PM

Done deal bought this trailer  http://www.expresstr...t-deck-trailer/ .... with 15 " wheels, std 5 foot tongue...Invoice with 12% CA tax and shipping was $2,727.62 but with current CD/USD exchange exchange rate my cost was $2,026.48...will pick up Delta, BC on 6-11..

Then on to the border drama...or hopefully not...will post my experience or ask for asylum in Canada!

Phil

PacRat...totally agree...driver fatigue at more sedate speeds is also greatly reduced..

Edited by Wallowa, 03 June 2019 - 05:51 PM.

#18 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:37 PM

I guess I’m too late to the party but if anyone reading this finds themselves in a similar predicament I can recommend Space Trailers...

https://www.spacetra...nd-longneck-xl/

I would have bought one except a more off-road capable trailer fell into my lap and I bought it but these are very nice...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#19 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

Hey,

Many thanks smlobx.....

I leave tomorrow to Delta BC to pick up an Express Custom Trailer 5 x 10 aluminum flat bed with 15" tires and load capacity of 2,600 lbs [trailer weighs 431 lbs]...I have a few plans to allow me to carry my two 17' sea kayaks low on either side of the trailer bed and with my off road MC between them...hope to add a '17 canoe in future to that load..

Will report back my experiences with customs and about the trailer...

Phil

#20 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:06 AM

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users