ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

Here's an interesting opinion article from the Washington Post -

Ditch the GPS. It's Ruining Your Brain

Some of my favorite stories are about being asked by fellow travelers on 395 - in cell dead zones - "Where am I?" They are all relying on cell phones for navigation - that happy voice saying "Turn here." Old fashion basic skills - and using a bit of our brains - are disappearing. I happily remain a luddite.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

Though GPS is handy we most of the time use "paper"

with GPS as a back up.

Thanks for the info.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

Heck, I can't even spell GPS. :D

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#4 Rdy2Roam

Rdy2Roam

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:27 PM

I agree! Would much rather do it old school.

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:09 PM

Well gents you can look at it like those w/o maps probably won't be camping close by.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:43 AM

I’m still going to use both GPS and paper. I can be a bit of a retro grouch, but the GPS comes in handy at times, in particular when finding an address.

Now I have to complain about paper... I bought three new Oregon back country maps, and the price went up $2.00 :P

I am haunted by waters

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:47 AM

As I'm reading this I'm setting up an iPad to be a scrolling map GPS. I carry Benchmark & DeLorme paper maps. The GPS confirms where I think that I am on the paper.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:11 AM

I'm the opposite. After decades of map, altimeter and compass and teaching navigation courses, I'm lovin' the GPS. My brain cells are fading due to age, but the basic skills are locked in tight, fortunately. It's like riding a bike. Um... how do you turn those pedals again? Uh-oh, time for an electric bike! OK, I'm not quite ready for an E-bike...

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#9 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:35 AM

I use iPhone Maps verbal directions in unfamiliar cities.  I don't have a navigator so having to juggle a map, drive, and look for road signs is a recipe for an accident.  But I prefer maps in the back country.  BUT I always have my Garmin active when hiking; I have had to get back to camp in close to zero visibility more than once.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#10 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:21 AM

I got an eye roll and a sigh from a younger fellow when I told him we use a Garmin GPS when traveling along with paper maps. I told him we use the phone for trips around cities but out in the boonies it simply doesn't work, especially if you want to change your route because the road is closed or whatever. He travels all over the world but never leaves coverage it seems.

The wife insists on verifying GPS directions with the paper map. Haven't caught any big mistakes yet, but sometimes the algorithm can choose an odd path with many turns to save a couple of minutes or miles. OTOH, we've found some interesting places that we would have bypassed had we stuck to what looked like the obvious path on the map.

Best thing about GPS is comparing its distance to a town with a gas station to the range display on the truck when far from civilization. Comforting.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users