• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

The poop aint the problem,the TP is the problem. Pack it out in a plastic baggie.No big deal.

I think you're missing the point.

In high use areas all of the waste is an issue, solid, liquid, grey water, garbage etc.

When I took a trip on the main Salmon about 20 years ago, we were taught that because all of the campsites get used by large groups every night, that is the reason that all solid waste is packed out and to pee in the river, fill your mouth with water before spitting after brushing your teeth ,dishwater was filtered before being dispersed.

I think that there is no one size fits all solution. In the areas where there is not much use I prefer digging a small cathole and burying poop and TP so it can't be seen (I've also caught my dogs circling back to it).

I think in heavily used areas they should build more campgrounds and charge enough to keep them maintained, or enforce the pack it out rule. I know of several I will not use the pit toilets because they are so bad.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#12 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

Reminds me of the Pogo strip from 1971.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:50 PM

Just got an alert from the Wild Owyhee Canyon Lands Organization. Seems like there is a new BLM Land Management Plan out for the Owyhee Canyon Lands and SE Oregon. It has a 90 day comment period and they are asking for comments. I  tried and failed to paste it here (my fault again). After what happened to a certain ranchers permit out Burns BLM (an good example of the new governing style of this administration) we all need to reply and comment if want want to keep these lands open, after all Public Lands are our lands not just their Lands . Here is the Email address to comment on/or sign up for info:WildOwyhee.Org.---again sorry.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 18 June 2019 - 10:52 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

Just got an alert from the Wild Owyhee Canyon Lands Organization. Seems like there is a new BLM Land Management Plan out for the Owyhee Canyon Lands and SE Oregon. It has a 90 day comment period and they are asking for comments. I  tried and failed to paste it here (my fault again). After what happened to a certain ranchers permit out Burns BLM (an good example of the new governing style of this administration) we all need to reply and comment if want want to keep these lands open, after all Public Lands are our lands not just their Lands . Here is the Email address to comment on/or sign up for info:WildOwyhee.Org.---again sorry.

Smoke

Is this the site you wanted to link?

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#15 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:41 PM

No Paul-that is the official BLM Fed Reg Notice and you can comment/reply on it-it would not hurt to do it. The notice I got was WildOwyhee. Org.  That site is a non-government interest  site-like Sierra Club etc., and going on to it  makes it easier to put your views out and submit them: it describes what the issues are and what the organization is about. Frankly using  it is just an easier way of doing it w/o using the official site, especially if you don't have the time.  (as a ret.fed, in some ways it is better to use the gov site because it seems more sort of more natural (to me anyway) while other is more of a generic form with a space to comment on it-send both in, the more replies they get the better for us.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 18 June 2019 - 11:43 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#16 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:25 AM

We just stayed at Wench Creek CG in the El Dorado NF last week. We were at the end of a 2 week trip and got into the area late, so we didn't have time to check all of the open CGs in the area so we settled on Wench Creek. There was quite a few toilet papers piles around our $28 per night (!) campsite. It was obviously new and not left over from trespass-campers in the off-season when the toilets were locked. I was disgusted, and then later I realized why; the pit toilets themselves were horrendous. We had stayed at 7 other sites around CA/NV/ID, including several free BLM sites, and the most expensive campground had the worst toilets. I can't imagine what the toilets at Wench Creek are like at the end of August. Of course it is a next to Union Valley Reservoir so it attracts people of "varying intellect", i.e. power boaters/skiers. 

Lat year, we stayed at Lake Owyhee SP on the reservoir and I noticed that all along the Owyhee river on the way up to the reservoir, the BLM had placed porta potties every 1/4 mile. This is a long dispersed camping area that looked like it gets busy with fishing. Were the bright blue potties kind of an eyesore? Absolutely, but at least the biohazard was contained.

I often have pretty bleak thoughts about the future of our culture in this country as it seems like a lot of the courtesy and common sense is slipping away. I honestly don't think this problem can be solved by education. Part of me feels like enforcement is the only viable way to control the issue, but enforcement of any waste disposal laws would be almost impossible. Unfortunately, I think the Owyhee River model of just carpet bombing areas with porta potties is probably the most realistic solution. Maybe I am just a cynic.

#17 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:33 AM

Wench Creek is in my backyard. Please call Pacific District -

Pacific Ranger District
Dave Pereira, Acting District Ranger
7887 Highway 50
Pollock Pines, CA 95726-9602
530-644-2349
Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Please be polite and honestly state what you experienced. They need to hear it. The Eldorado National Forest changed the concession company this year that runs the campgrounds. It is Royal Elk Concessions first year. From what I've seen, they are on a steep learning curve and need to step up their game. You can help make that happen.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#18 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

We noticed, that in our area of SW Colorado, the company contracted by the Forest Service to run some of their campgrounds had frequent staff shortages resulting in poor campground conditions. It is important for the managing agencies to have public feedback on the performance of their contractors.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#19 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

Quoted: "I think there needs to be a national educational campaign like the Smokey the Bear campaign. People don't understand that today's TP is strong and doesn't decompose rapidly.  They don't understand that their waste has germs in it.  We need easy to buy poop bags.  I stopped in a large grocery store the other day to buy poop bags (cheap storage bags sold for food) and all they had were zip lock type bags!  And we need places to dispose of the filled poop bags.  Many places are going trash free, pack in - pack out but there needs to be a place to deposit poop bags.  No one in a SUV/car wants days worth of poop bags inside their car.  

At City of Rocks a maintenance lead told me they were constantly finding filled green dog poop bags tied and set on the side of a trail. She thought people didn't know what to do.  Huh? Later I found a full bag on the side of the trail.  I was the only one in the parking lot so it wasn't left to be picked up later.  

Now that I've written this, it seems like I need to start writing emails, pushing my idea of a nation wide campaign."

I agree. Unfortunately we don't see the "don't litter" or "only you can stop fires" campaigns on TV anymore. It would be nice to see them revived along with proper waste disposal information. On the White Rim they suggest packing out human waste when possible. There are pit toilets along the route. The ranger told me that if there is no way to pack it out please do your business in the road. Buried in the roadway. It gets the most traffic and compression. I have wagbags if necessary but if it is a low use area I will find a location to do my business but the TP and wipes are always brought with me via the following:

Instead of burying toilet paper and any worry about contaminated hands carry a "Murphy" kit to be exact. It is comprised of a small sack, roll of TP, wipes, and plastic/latex type gloves.
Glove up before filling the cathole, wipe and leave TP/Wipes to the side in a pile.
After cleaning up, grab the pile with one gloved hand and turn glove inside out over the TP/wipes.
Next grab the one gloved package with the other gloved hand and turn it inside out as well.
Cover the cathole with dirt.
Finally walk away with your clean hands and fully encompassed glove package of TP/wipes knowing you didn't leave **** tickets, ass wipe to be uncovered by nature to litter the environment.
The Murphy Method!

Edited by ETAV8R, 21 June 2019 - 05:44 PM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:19 AM

I will bring this issue to the Pacific District's attention and make sure they are aware of conditions.

We just stayed at Wench Creek CG in the El Dorado NF last week. We were at the end of a 2 week trip and got into the area late, so we didn't have time to check all of the open CGs in the area so we settled on Wench Creek. There was quite a few toilet papers piles around our $28 per night (!) campsite. It was obviously new and not left over from trespass-campers in the off-season when the toilets were locked. I was disgusted, and then later I realized why; the pit toilets themselves were horrendous. We had stayed at 7 other sites around CA/NV/ID, including several free BLM sites, and the most expensive campground had the worst toilets. I can't imagine what the toilets at Wench Creek are like at the end of August. Of course it is a next to Union Valley Reservoir so it attracts people of "varying intellect", i.e. power boaters/skiers. 

Lat year, we stayed at Lake Owyhee SP on the reservoir and I noticed that all along the Owyhee river on the way up to the reservoir, the BLM had placed porta potties every 1/4 mile. This is a long dispersed camping area that looked like it gets busy with fishing. Were the bright blue potties kind of an eyesore? Absolutely, but at least the biohazard was contained.

I often have pretty bleak thoughts about the future of our culture in this country as it seems like a lot of the courtesy and common sense is slipping away. I honestly don't think this problem can be solved by education. Part of me feels like enforcement is the only viable way to control the issue, but enforcement of any waste disposal laws would be almost impossible. Unfortunately, I think the Owyhee River model of just carpet bombing areas with porta potties is probably the most realistic solution. Maybe I am just a cynic.

Wench Creek is in my backyard. Please call Pacific District -

Pacific Ranger District
Dave Pereira, Acting District Ranger
7887 Highway 50
Pollock Pines, CA 95726-9602
530-644-2349
Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Please be polite and honestly state what you experienced. They need to hear it. The Eldorado National Forest changed the concession company this year that runs the campgrounds. It is Royal Elk Concessions first year. From what I've seen, they are on a steep learning curve and need to step up their game. You can help make that happen.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Truck camper, four wheel camper, blm, tread lightly, conservation, dispersed, waste

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users