• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

The poop aint the problem,the TP is the problem. Pack it out in a plastic baggie.No big deal.

I think you're missing the point.

In high use areas all of the waste is an issue, solid, liquid, grey water, garbage etc.

When I took a trip on the main Salmon about 20 years ago, we were taught that because all of the campsites get used by large groups every night, that is the reason that all solid waste is packed out and to pee in the river, fill your mouth with water before spitting after brushing your teeth ,dishwater was filtered before being dispersed.

I think that there is no one size fits all solution. In the areas where there is not much use I prefer digging a small cathole and burying poop and TP so it can't be seen (I've also caught my dogs circling back to it).

I think in heavily used areas they should build more campgrounds and charge enough to keep them maintained, or enforce the pack it out rule. I know of several I will not use the pit toilets because they are so bad.

#12 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

Reminds me of the Pogo strip from 1971.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Truck camper, four wheel camper, blm, tread lightly, conservation, dispersed, waste

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users