• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JCO

JCO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:17 AM

I’m finding that holding gray water is becoming a bit of a challenge. I’m currently using a collapsible 5 gallon water container to collect gray water for my Hawk. Does anyone have any good holding tank ideas? I have a 2011 Tundra.
Thanks

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:03 AM

Look at this thread, http://www.wanderthe...for-hawk/page-2

There are others as I recall. They can be found by using this search phrase 

"site:www.wanderthewest.com tundra  gray water tank"

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:52 PM

Bill's mod is one of the best I have done to my rig. Love the convenience :)

#4 JCO

JCO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:59 AM

Thank you all !

#5 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:50 AM

I like the stealthy aspect of Bills mod, but at only about 3-4 gallons, I am not so sure. This seems a lot easier to me https://www.rei.com/...ua-tainer-7-gal
The spigot unthreads from the lid, and a hose thread fitting with a cap can be added. I think I got this from ski3pin. I don’t have this newer container, I have the older 5 gallon round one. I just throw it in the camper for transport, empty or full. The rigid tank works better than the collapsible ones.

Attached Thumbnails

• DFBB29DF-4F88-4A3B-91C6-FE3CD8967FD4.jpeg

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#6 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:07 PM

I use the cheap foldable water containers. What I really like about them is they fold up and can be stuffed in an outside storage area rather than in the camper.

I've seen some elaborate gray water solutions but not sure why. Use the right soap and you can dump virtually anywhere. Even Leave No Trace instructors have said just pour it on the road.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

I like the stealthy aspect of Bills mod, but at only about 3-4 gallons, I am not so sure. This seems a lot easier to me https://www.rei.com/...ua-tainer-7-gal
The spigot unthreads from the lid, and a hose thread fitting with a cap can be added. I think I got this from ski3pin. I don’t have this newer container, I have the older 5 gallon round one. I just throw it in the camper for transport, empty or full. The rigid tank works better than the collapsible ones.

The biggest advantage of the  - more or less - sealed rigid container is being able to quickly stash it in a bear box or the front of the truck - driver's floor - overnight or when away from the camper in bear country.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:07 AM

We've been using the collapsible 5g thing for a year now, and I am starting to think about using something different. The nice thing as others have said is that you can flatten it and store it in the external storage behind the fridge. You can actually slide it up in the compartment a little bit to leave more space there for other items (just don't slide it up all the way to where it will inhibit heat exhausting from the fridge). It's also cheap.

Here are the cons that I have found with it:

Having to burp it to that the sink will drain. I kind of understand having the one way valve on the hose, so odors won't come back up through the sink, but to be honest, our gray water smells mostly like toothpaste and mouthwash, with a little pasta water and wine mixed in. 

Poor structural stability. Any time it is close to full, it becomes a three stooges skit trying to deal with it. On our last trip, I tried twice emptying the grey water into pit toilets since we were in some bear areas. Usually, I drain it into the fire pit, but this is not "bear aware", so I wanted to see how it would work putting it into the pit toilet. Both times it was a disaster. I could not find a way to do this without hosing the bathroom down with grey water. It just geysers out of there because of it's own weight and the flex of the material. The first time we used it, I thought I would try the "lid with a handle" that came with it. As I was installing it, I thought that there was no way that the threads would support almost 50 pounds of water. I got about 10 feet before the lid popped off, the bucket fell to the ground, and old faithful showered me.

Transparency. This is a silly gripe, but when the grey water is of a questionable color, I wonder if tent campers walk by and think that it is actually a black water tank.

Anyway, I see three alternatives: Bed rail PVC tank, rigid water jug, and 5g bucket with a lid. I think the bed rail PVC tank is the most convenient, once built. I don't want to drill holes in my bed rails to mount it. Why don't people install it on the camper itself, instead of the truck? 

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:52 AM

We just use a Homer bucket with lid. I used a hole saw to put a hole in the lid. After buying a new washing machine, I was left with a couple of washer fill hoses. One had a 90 degree brend.  The 90 deg end attaches to the camper grey water connector. and the other end fits into the hole in the Homer bucket lid. Camping world also sells 4 ft hoses and 90 degree attachments if that would work better.

Depending on how level the ground is, I may need to place the bucket on the remaining levelling blocks or perhaps, place it on something else. 

As the Homer bucket holds 5 gallons, I usually look for an appropriate disposal site before it is half full. Carrying 20 lbs for some distance is easier than carrying 40 lbs. 

We did have a '78 VW camper that came with a collapsible jug like those mentioned but always found it a PITA to deal with as it filled.

Simple is good. The bucket stores in the back of the camper when we pack up. It is also useful for other carrying chores and being rigid, is easy to handle when dumping.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users