• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 KarlFJ40

KarlFJ40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice. Awesome forum!
We are looking forward to some summer adventures

#12 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

The ops question about whether the trails were okay for a full size truck didn't seem to get fully answered.

I mention this because my traveling buddy has a full size Dodge 4x4 with a Pinto or Bronco or some such wood frame pop up on it, I'm not concerned about my Taco /w a FWC Fleet, but in looking at the pictures I wonder if there would be sections of the trails that would be too rough/tight for his rig or that might be too hard on his camper?

We've been on some rough low range rock garden crawls with it but it's starting to show the strain, he may not be up for a trip of that distance if there's a lot of real rough terrain to negotiate. Any rough guesses as to what percentage of the trails, if any, might be "beat his rig to pieces" rated, and are they easily bypassed?

Thanks,

/2

Edited by slash2, 23 June 2019 - 04:20 PM.

#13 acesandnines

acesandnines

• Gone Traveling
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:01 AM

I'm not sure anyone with a full size and FWC has done the entire OBDR, but I've done a significant portion.  From what I've been told, the southern portion is more difficult as you go north.  If that's the case, the whole thing is doable in a fullsize truck with FWC.  There is a lava field or two that is absolutely miserable near the southern end.  It can only be done at about one mph.  I rocked that truck more than you can imagine, especially with the FWC.  It was fine, but so slow.  I assume you don't mind brush marks though?  No scratched paint, but plenty of clear coat scratches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users