12 replies to this topic

#1 ElSol

ElSol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

Greetings collective mind,

I am new to this forum, and looking for insight. Please move this post to another thread if appropriate.

I own a RAM 2500 2017 diesel. Yes I know, bad choice, but it is paid for, so I am hoping to make the most of it. I know all about GVW etc. (My question is not about the legal / safe weight.) I am looking for suggestions, coil brands, shock absorber brands, not info on airbags- got that, which would make the legal limit feel safer. My slide in truck camper (old 80s SunLine) starts the camper swaying from side to side on rough roads, and it doesn’t feel good. I am looking to buy a new flat bed camper and am researching improvements for the tuck before I commit.

Thank for your help,

J

Currently in Maine

#2 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

Don't know if this will help, but when I went to Overland Expo two years ago, I discovered that there were not many after market options for my Ford Ranger. I had purchased a set of Roadmaster Active Suspension leafs and although I was initially happy with them, over a short period they proved ineffective. One of the vendors that sold a number of after market products for trucks other than Rangers recommended Alcan Spring Company in Colorado. I ordered a new custom spring pack with 1000lb of additional capacity and OEM height. They would have shipped, but I just planned a trip to pick them up. I could have requested additional height as well.

Anyway, it was the best thing I've done. I'm sure there are custom spring manufacturers on the East coast. All this company did was make springs. Check there website. I'm thinking, but not sure, that you could have a custom set of coils made, with whatever added capacity you want. My camper is bolted on the truck and never comes off, so I don't have to deal with the potential lousy unloaded ride.

Good luck, I understand the "its paid for", so is my 2009 Ranger.  

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

Hello ElSol
Welcome to WtW. Plus one for new spring like larryqp mentioned. I sorry I can’t recommend a company. I would try some of these companies. Alcan Or Deaver. I think the larger dodge runs leafs on the rear, so air springs might be the best option. Check with Helwig for info on your sway problem. The sway bar might just not be up to the task. Helwig might be able to help with info on your spring question also.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 ElSol

ElSol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:50 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions.
J

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

Couple of things to look at for sway. Make sure your air bags are plumbed separately. And run load e tire rating to stiffen the side walls. If you have that you can move to different springs and maybe a sway bar.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

2016 F350 CC 7x9 flatbed

hellwig sway bar

deaver springs, with overloads

torklift stabil loads

7x9 ATC flatbed camper

So far i have found this set up pretty stable on some pretty sporty offroad

Sway has been minimal, I have lost some articulation of course but have not been hindered, it is not intended to be a crawler. And to be honest i feel it's weakest attribute would be width. 

Personally think a full size truck with a flatbed is a great set up.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#7 ElSol

ElSol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

Wango,

Sounds like some good upgrades. Alas the problem with the RAM 2500 is that rather than leaf springs they got ‘cutting edge’ and used coils in the back. No leaves to upgrade or stabilize. Terrible idea on RAMs part, and my error for supporting their idea. I bought the truck as an upgrade from a 2005 Tundra to pull a 20’ TT, and it excels at that, 80 mph down the highway and I don’t notice it’s there, but when I got the truck camper on it...

I’m definitely going to contact Helwig... and I want to upgrade the coils and shocks.. There are lots of upgrades for racing performance, it’s harder to sort out the upgrades for payload performance.

What flatbed did you go with?

Thanks, J

#8 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:15 PM

If the camper will be permanently mounted, then I would support the idea of new springs.  The catch though, is you really need to invest in shocks that are also tuned to that increased spring rate and truck weight.  This seems to be a key factor that is always overlooked.  Springs hold the truck up, shocks control everything else.

If the camper isn't going to be mounted all the time, then I would look more towards air bags of some sort.

Sway bars and good tires are great either way.

Honestly nothing wrong with coils.  Usually aftermarket coils can be had for less than leaf springs.  I have a 2014 ram 2500 and have some softride 1" lift coils in the back.  I had some butt wiggle going on from the softer coils and increased track bar angle, but after a 3" track bar raise on the axle its as solid as can be.  I would make sure that with the camper loaded and the rear at its ride height, that the rear track bar is as level as can be.

Kevin

#9 driller

driller

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationRiverton, Utah

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:49 PM

I also have a 2500 ram with coils. The biggest  thing to help is a rear sway bar and make sure your air bags are run separate from each other. I also run Bilstien Shocks. still have a nice ride with good control.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181215_122525 (2).jpg

Edited by driller, 12 June 2019 - 10:50 PM.

2015 Ram 2500 ccsb 4x4 6.4 Hemi

Northstar tc850s

2016 toyota 4r trail

#10 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:33 AM

ElSol,

Flatbed was buillt by Cascade Auto and Truck Body in Eugene, OR.

Protech aluminum, 7'wx9'l

Entire bed and boxes were bed-lined. 3 years of abuse and it still looks great. 

They let me design the box in the back the way i wanted. 

Hear you on coils, i think i would go the helwig sway bar route. Get tuned shocks, and most likely go with the upgraded springs. i upgraded my front coils as well as my rear leafs. Have always shied away from air bags, just thinking about murphy and that law of his.

Although the shop that built my rocksliders said they woud have gone with the long travel bags by helwig. Kind of a toss up i suppose.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users