• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

For those of you folks who like to do-it-yourself and don't want to spend a lot of money. Here's how I did the awning thing. I used this in Alaska where there are a LOT of bugs and I had 3 inches of snow and wind on it and it held up pretty well. All parts were bought at Home Depot except for mosquito netting which you can buy at army surplus stores. Probably cost me less than $50 to make (mosquito net material was most expensive part. Design elements are:

* Aluminum bracket that bolts to camper jack brackets (no drilling into camper). Standard stock aluminum from H.D.
* 6X8 foot heavy duty standard tarp
* 1 piece of 1/2 electrical conduit with eye hooks (be sure to use nylon lock washers everywhere)(metal painted white)
* Two pieces of 4ft PVC with a cap on one end & eye hook.
* Home-sewn mosquito net with nylon skirt at bottom. You can put rocks on skirt to keep it from blowing around. To get in and out just lift up from bottom. Worked really well in Alaska. Skirt is just a nylon tarp I cut and sewed to net.
* The net just ties to the edges of the tarp using very tiny bungie cords. If you don't need it, take it off and use only tarp.
* Tarp, PVC poles and net all store in wheel well on side of camper.
* Can use the tarp and net for other outdoors activities. (i.e. tie it up in trees above picnic table, etc.

Anyway, it's just an idea for those who don't want to buy an awning or have awning bolted to outside of camper. You can also use that conduit with eye hooks that stays on side of camper for other stuff like hanging laundry, etc. etc. Super light weight. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• tarp with net.jpg
  • tarp & conduit.jpg
  • Alum Bracket.JPG
  • foldeded parts.JPG
  • Awning Design.jpg

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#2 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:05 AM

Looks good and the price is right.

#3 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:17 AM

Yukon,
I like the idea of using the jack bracket as support for shade:thumb:....had only used them for hanging hammock before...cool system..

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#4 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

Very nice addition to your truck and an excellent write up. Thanks.

#5 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

Thanks, Bugs are a big deal down here but Alaska excels in Bugs.

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users