14 replies to this topic

#1 K & K

K & K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

Hi all,

Kevin here. My wife and are getting our FWC installed tomorrow! We bought a Fleet to fit on our 2017 Tacoma TRD off road.

I apologize for this question as I'm sure it's been covered ad nausuem, and if so, please post a link to previous discussions.

I am curious as to what tire pressures to run with the camper. I have seen many different thoughts on this and I know it is generally a trial an error thing, but I'm just looking for a good starting point, being the newbie camper owner that I am! I would appreciate thoughts from those of you who have a FWC on a Tacoma.

My tires are E rated 265/75/16 and they show MAX cold pressure at 80 psi. Some have said that is the pressure you run all the time loaded or not, which doesn't seem right to me. I can't imagine running that pressure in an off road situation. Do I need to bring the tires up to pressure before the install, or can I do it afterwards? Currently the pressures are at are around 35 psi for normal driving.

Any thoughts are appreciated as it's all about the safety factor for me...

Thank you.

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

Generally I run 60 in rear and 50 in front (I have a mini diesel) on the midsized Colorado....with the camper on. Without camper I run 35 rear 45 front. 

Edited by buckland, 18 June 2019 - 07:23 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

I have similar E-series tires and run about the same pressures as buckland above but I have my Hawk on an F-150.

Beware that when you have any kind of tire service (rotation, flat repair, etc.) that tire shops (and sometimes even mechanics) will generally default to the OEM pressures unless you tell them you prefer the higher numbers.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#4 K & K

K & K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:20 PM

Thanks  for the replies. Much appreciated. It gives me a starting point!

#5 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:58 PM

Best thing to do is load your truck and camper as if going on a camping trip.  Fill up the gas tank, then head to a truck stop with scales and get your truck weighed.  You then have your axle weights.

Since the Firestone/Ford tire debacle back in the late 90s, only Toyo (to my knowledge) still offers tire inflation data based on load.

Even though you may not running Toyo's, the data can give you of idea of optimum inflation based on load.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#6 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:27 PM

I have nearly the same setup, and settled on 45 front, 55 rear. But it could go higher in the rear depending on axle weight. We leave the camper on full time, but if not we'd use 45 front and rear with an empty truck. Here's more:

http://www.wanderthe...opers/?p=211582

Off road we've gone down to 15 front, 20 rear.

Edited by rubberlegs, 18 June 2019 - 11:30 PM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#7 K & K

K & K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:31 PM

Wow, that's perfect. Thanks. I will do that...

#8 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:34 AM

I am not even close to an expert but I feel like with E-rated tires in good shape, you can worry a little less about what PSI to be at. Your risk of a problem is lessened with the stronger tires. I run my tires at 60 front/80 rear or a little less. This is on a 3/4t diesel with/without a loaded Hawk, so my axle weights are going to be a little heavier than yours. I actually lowered the psi in the field 2 weeks ago driving across a desert highway because my rear tires were up to 91 psi, which made me nervous. I would obviously lower pressure on any sharp or soft surfaces as needed, but other than that I don't really worry too much. But again, this is just based on my thoughts, not any expert opinion.

#9 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:04 AM

The 45/55 pressures I use are based on industry recommendations for my tire loads and highway speeds.

If pressure is too low, you can overheat the tires which reduces their life and can lead to failure. (But it seems heating will raise pressure and help alleviate that to some extent...). Cornering can be worse due to sidewall flex.

If pressure is too high, the ride can be too harsh. Grip can be worse.

Both over or under pressure can reduce tread life, either in the center or the edges.

Meanwhile, on the internet you can find very strong opinions, not necessarily based on tire engineering. Some opinions even are published on tire sales websites that, to me, are just plain wrong. Anyway, some of the posts in the link I referred to have links to good data, with tables for tire sizes, speeds, loads, pressures, etc.

Off road, the story changes. There, we travel very slowly and need more grip. So overheating is not a big concern. At first it seemed strange to ride at 15 psi, but in this case the anecdotal evidence is strong that it works better. 

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

Interesting how the opinions on tire pressure vary so much...but not mentioned is that off road when you lower pressure for better traction you also increase the chance of cutting a sidewall or punctures...or in extreme cases of breaking the bead..

I guess in the real world there are no free lunches and either too high or too low for conditions can bring negative results.

Oh, remember that inflation figures are stated for "cold tires"...prior to driving on them...the increase in pressure from the heat generated while driving varies dependent on many factors but the pressures will go up above the recommended cold pressures.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users