• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

I have a 3+ year old Hawk that had a 8' Fiamma F45s awning installed in the Woodland factory. The other day I decided to clean the awning after a few rainy days up in NorCal. So I got the Fiamma installation and usage instructions out to see what the recommendation  for cleaning.

Reading the manual I discovered a couple of things that surprised me: one, Fiamma (pg 13) says, "We remind you that the awning is designed to protect from the sun, and not from rain, wind or snow. In these cases, we recommend to roll it up!"  I get the wind and snow recommendation, but rain??? Heck that's our primary use of the awning; i.e., sitting outside during minor precipitation events. Other places in the manual they discuss wet awnings so I am assuming that the quoted verbiage was generated by their CYA lawyers.

Secondly, and more importantly, my FWC factory install (front and back ends) was EXACTLY per the "NO" diagram on page 8 of the manual which, of course, I should have no reason to read ;-) I am wondering if mine was a one off or whether FWC routinely installs Fiamma awnings in a manner that is completely contrary to the install manual. See photos.

I spoke to Fiamma and they were surprised also. They said that the install brackets on the truck should be aligned with the mechanisms on the awning as much as possible as that is where the stresses on the awning occur. Over the long haul they felt that it might compromise the integrity of the awning.

The next time we head north on I-5, I plan on stopping by the FWC factory to hear what they have to say but I am curious about others here that have had Fiamma awnings installed by FWC and whether theirs are installed like mine.

Thanks!

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3707.JPG
  • IMG_3709.jpg
  • IMG_3708.JPG

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#2 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:52 PM

Mines installed at the same points as yours.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#3 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:24 PM

As a follow up to this post I did receive an e-mail response from Fiamma's parts department that didn't really answer anything but may be of interest:

The bracket per the user installation should be installed on the same spot
as the shock absorbers, which usually is where the stickers are located.
Looking at your pictures the brackets seem a little inside.

Although the dealer that you had the installation done by (FWC) buy in
bulk from us, so that should give you a sense of security, but ultimately
the decision is yours, depending on the warranty terms for the labor they
performed and how long will they guarantee their work for.

Hope this helps you.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#4 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:37 PM

Our Fiamma is stellar in the rain. Never had an issue and it just keeps on quietly doing it's job.  If it walked away today I'd order another tomorrow.

#5 GDinMT

GDinMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:25 PM

Has anyone installed a FIAMMA themselves?  I have 2018 Hawk and curious if the roof latches had to be relocated or if you had to do something to ensure you could access them.

#6 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:36 PM

Hi trikebubble
On our ATC the rear latch is on the rear of the camper, the front is moved forward slightly in relation to other side.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:49 AM

I only had to relocate one latch. No brackets on mine, I bolted straight through.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users