CA Route 1 camping? SF camping?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:48 AM

Hey all! Currently in Sedona about to head out towards CA and looking for some recommendations of where/how to camp along rt 1 and also in/around SF? Campgrounds are all booked up obviously at this point. Found 1 in Santa Barbara on the beach for 2 nights but that’s it so far!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:20 AM

Hey all! Currently in Sedona about to head out towards CA and looking for some recommendations of where/how to camp along rt 1 and also in/around SF? Campgrounds are all booked up obviously at this point. Found 1 in Santa Barbara on the beach for 2 nights but that’s it so far!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have a buddy who was just up and down the Central CA coast in State Parks camping in a trailer. He mentioned available sites at most places- cancellations, etc. You might get a spot even if parks are booked. Give it a shot!
2006 Hawk, 2018 F150 XLT SuperCab 5.0 V8, 2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

#3 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

Hey thanks for the tip! That’s my hope!

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

If you heading north on Rt 1 a few miles north of Cambria ,the San Simeon SP. has a "primitive" area Washborn camp it's up on the hill about a 1/2 mile from the beach but has great views.

It's usually not full.Although now you cam make reservations.

Other campgrounds along the coast north of there to Monterey are usually full.

There is a campground in Monterey no reservations,Veterans Park up on the

hill at the end of Jefferson st.

Nice place, showers ,oak trees around sites.

Above SF you might score a midweek site at Samuel P. Taylor SP. It's close to 

Point Reyes National Seashore.

If you are heading all the way north on Hwy 1

there is a beach camp at the Navarro River where it flows into the ocean.

Also a camp a few miles north of Ft Bragg Westport-Union Landing SB I think

you can pull over and camp there.

Good luck have fun.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I went ahead and snagged 2 nights at the Washburn site. Will also check the Veterans park area in Monterey the next night! Thanks!

Edited by shear, 21 June 2019 - 02:14 PM.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

Glad to help.

The Washburn site is nice quiet with nice views of the mountains to the east and the ocean to the west.

At night when it's quiet you can usually hear the waves break on the beach.

Enjoy.I live in the Monterey area PM me if I can be of help.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 dgknows

dgknows

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationsan jose bay area

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:04 AM

You can still in route camping at Pfeiffer Big Sur. Also check others state parks. You basically Stay in the day use area. Supposed to be Self contained. Just tell them you are. There’s some primitive Camping areas to big Sur coast. Dirt road next to Plasket creek Camp ground. Have seen people camping up the road. We’ve been in the camp ground. Hip camp website also list private land that you can camp on for a fee.

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:31 PM

Heads up to campers heading along hwy 1.

There is a small fire at Mill Creek along the Nacimiento Ferguson rd.

It is currently closed at each end and a lot of the trails in the area are closed.

Check with Cal Fire for more info.

Frank

#9 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:59 PM

I've camped at Laguna Seca Raceway, Just outside of Monterey years ago, and see it is still listed in the DeLorme campground list.

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

In SF?  Hmmmm...not my cup of tea...but I guess any sidewalk will do..if you are going North of the Bay Area see below:

North of Russian River on Hwy 1 [actually the road North from GG Bridge is great] ....is where the best of the coast can be experienced...lots of SP CGs right on the bluff overlooking the ocean or inside coves...North of Rockport you leave the coast and you will be in prime grower areas and just pulling over to spend the night can be chancy even if the harvest is over...Shelter Cove is worth the side trip...then hike the beach toward Punta Gorda [watch the tides the mountains come down to the ocn there...'Lost Coast'....but spectacular]...Hwy 1 ends at Hwy 101 just North of Leggett...numerous SPs and NPs North to Oregon border...Patrick's Point North of Arcata is worth a night, overlooks Agate Beach and several headlands...

Oregon Coast has tons of opportunity also...  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users