• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:57 PM

I have been unable to find a specific bit of advice by searching threads. As I am suffering, what the tire shop calls scalloping of the tire due to alignment issues caused by having the camper on 6 months of the year and then off (but with a 600 pound cement block in for winter). I had the truck aligned without the camper but with the winter weight in back so that I thought would be the compromise but the tire wear indicates it ain't so. It's a shame as the scalloping causes tire noise when the truck gets up over 45 mph and it drives me nuts... wah wah wah wah wah ...... 

So my question is is it better to align with the camper in or when it is not.

I am about to put the camper on for the summer (going on a long trip) and thought I'd just get new tires and do alignment before going (tires are getting near 40K).

(I got a feeling folks will say do alignments twice a year?) 

Edited by buckland, 20 June 2019 - 12:59 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

I keep my camper loaded for about 4 to 6 months a year I do alignment without camper in. However, I have a completely custom suspension with a considerable rake when unloaded. Once the camper is in I'm perfectly level. Rotating tires I use cross pattern without the spare. It helps keep the wear more even...I have experienced what you have but with mud tires with more all terrain tires I haven't had the same issue. I use General Grabber 3x and A/TX tires the A/TX are the less aggressive and wear better.
I also have my own alignment plates where I check how bad I am after adventures...I usually only professionally align when I put new tires on....

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

I should have mentioned too I have a Boise Spring Works rear leaf pack as well as Bilstein 5100 RHA shocks that raised the front 2” so after camper is in it is level. Without camper there is a 1” rake. I have Cooper AT3 E rated tires.

Edited by buckland, 20 June 2019 - 02:14 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#4 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

I have a Fleet on a 2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad crew cab 4x4. Also had Boise Spring Works install progressive leaf springs for a total of 5. I got Cooper AT3 E range installed day before camper was installed. They now have 30k miles with perfectly even tread wear and about halfway thru the tread.  I had it aligned immediately after BSW installed the camper and springs.  5k miles ago I replaced original Bilsteins with same OEM shocks [4300?] because I liked the ride and did not want anything stiffer and did not re-align the truck. Camper is on full time and camp about 8 months per year. First 15K on the tires the pressure was 42 front, 38 rear. I recently increased to 44/40 and may try a bit higher.

Hope this helps and let us know how this plays out.

#5 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for your info/background. Having the truck with camper on all the time or not I think the alignment would be fine. It is the going back and forth with a much different load...hence a different alignment that seems to be the culprit. I guess I should align it with the camper on and the new tires and when I take it off and put the lighter cement block in for winter I should have it aligned again.    

Henry David Thoreau

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:38 PM

I think I'd use amount of mileage to decide... 6 months camper on and 6 months camper off, but which period accumulates the most miles ?

I like to think pick ups are designed for varying loaded weights. Usually the rear ride height changes more than the front. Does your truck front height change much camper on vs off ?

For sure I'd align after new tires and tire balance, and I'd check the front shocks are still good.

#7 acesandnines

acesandnines

• Gone Traveling
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:57 PM

Yours is a Colorado?  Different trucks will have different suspension set ups and that may change the answer.  Is the cupping only on the front, the rear or both?

I had Coopers on a truck without a camper and had a terrible time with cupping.  It was not a weight issue, but a tire issue.  That being said I'll chime in when I'm more sure about your truck.

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:59 PM

Good point on mileage. Definitely with camper more. My workshop is here at the house and so my commute is 150 feet. My truck would only get a few hundred a month...maybe 600. The front shocks have about 30,000 (Bilstein 5100).

Seems to me I'm leaning to have it down with camper on?

Just saw the next post so will edit reply here:

The cupping was on both ends though I say that after I had rotated so not sure it it was the result of sending the cup to the rear.

Edited by buckland, 21 June 2019 - 12:01 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:22 PM

Huh never heard of a factory welded alignment. I decided after talking to the Alignment shop that with my modifications to the leaf pack and shocks.... and as I do more mileage on the truck with weight than without in the 6/6 month swap... he suggested doing the alignment with the camper on (with the new tires) ... that added weight stressing etc... so at this point that is the plan.

Appreciate the input from all contributors ... I will have the camper on in two weeks and then immediately new tires and alignment. Five days therefater off on a 4000 trip. Hope it all shakes out! will let you know.

Henry David Thoreau

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:40 PM

Hmmm....wouldn't the issue with the alignment being so different be more attributable to having a load (camper) that is at or exceeds the weights and balances of the truck suspension recommendations in the VIN tag?

Maybe a visit to the Dodge dealer Service Manager with the camper loader AFTER you got it weighed Front axle, Rear axle and Both weights printed out would be helpful?

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users