Photo
- - - - -

Another courtesy brought to you by the ethanol industry.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:32 PM

From a boating friend in Florida...

Per the Florida Pest Control website:
“Camphor Shot borers are a type of ambrosia beetle. These beetles normally attack stressed out trees, and not gasoline cans. So what does a stressed out tree have in common with a gas can, you might be thinking? Ethanol. Trees emit chemicals when they become stressed or are injured. This triggers beetles and other pests to attack the tree. In the case of the Camphor Shot borer, they seem to be mostly attracted to alcohols. Much of the unleaded gas we have contains an alcohol called ethanol. The beetle can't tell the alcohol in the gas can from chemicals emitted by a tree, so they dig on in!

These beetles are usually most active in the months of March through June, so what can you do in the meantime to protect your gas cans from them? Basically, you will need to place the cans inside, or cover them with something to impede the beetles' attack. These beetles feed on a large range of trees, so chemical treatments are not advised.”

I am haunted by waters

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

At least I hope they are happy drunks.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

Here's a guy with the problem...

My first thought was 'glad we don't have them here'... only to find they've also been found as far north as southern PA (There's also a distribution map in the article.  And a stunning photo of a beetle-riddled gas can.)

After seeing the video and map, I was wondering if I should go look over my gas cans, mowers and motor-toys.  Then I remembered I've only used ethanol-free gas in all my small-motor equipment and vehicles for several years. (Link to ethanol-free gas finder)

But my Tundra has a plastic gas tank and I do use E10 in that.

Edited by Old Crow, 21 June 2019 - 12:27 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

The heck with the gas cans, what about the vodka in plastic bottles. LOL

I never heard of a bug eating through plastic before.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

Great something else to think about.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

we have ongoing problems with squirrels knawing through plastic mower fuel tanks and filler caps, but looks like we may have these guys to look out for too,  But I do use only ethanol-free gasoline---at least according to the wholesaler and retailer!

Foy

#7 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:07 AM

Not meaning to start a diesel/gas war, but......+1 for diesel.

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:51 AM

Any evidence of them attacking vehicle gas tanks?

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

Seems like a "sacrificial anode" approach could be devised. One that traps and kills the insect.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

Any evidence of them attacking vehicle gas tanks?

That's an excellent question. There's not a whole lot of info on the subject and what I am finding all references plastic gas cans and mower tanks-- nothing on vehicle tanks so far.

I called in to my local County Extension office this morning and just had a call back from the insects guy.  He's quite familiar with the various ambrosia beetles in his work with ornamentals and said a few of the camphor shoot beetles have been found in this area but no reports of gas can, mower-tank, or vehicle damage.   He then said he'd shoot an email to the state entomologist to see what he has to say.

As I was writing this up he called back and said the state guy had responded and said he gets a call or two a year about the camphor shoot beetles but no reports of gas-tank damage so far (of any kind).

My local guy put my name and number in his ambrosia beetles file and will call if he learns anything new on the issue.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users