11 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:44 AM

There have been many posts on Wander the West about showing off our campers and answering people's questions. Has anyone had an experience like this? I was working at a crowded event last weekend, staying there in our camper. The Lady was not with me. I unlocked a building at the event early Sunday morning and then returned to the camper to finish dishes, pack up, and get items stowed away as it was the last day. It was a warm morning so I had the back door and screen wide open. A woman appeared at the door and asked if I could answer her questions about the camper. Of course. Since I was busy drying dishes and such, I asked her to just climb in with me, it would be easier to see the camper and I could answer questions as I finished up. She explained she was a single woman, had previously traveled in a VW van, and that she was not very mechanically inclined. The aging van was having issues so she recently sold it and bought a one year old Tacoma pickup, a much more dependable vehicle in her eyes. She was looking at getting a pop up camper for it and had walked past ours several times hoping to find someone about. She had great questions which I was happy to answer as best I could. With our conversation over, she climbed down out of the camper. From my view out the window I noticed a man was walking by at that moment. I heard a gruff deep male voice exclaim, "Now this is sure odd!" Oh boy, it was a jealous boyfriend. The woman explained to him but with just a little too much nervousness in her voice, I thought. All this was funny as all get out to me but I had the sense not to laugh out loud. I exited the camper, greeted the male, locked up the camper, and continued on my way tactfully without suggesting she find a new boyfriend.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:50 AM

….continued on my way tactfully without suggesting she find a new boyfriend.

But a new boyfriend -- not camping rig -- may have been exactly what she was in the market for when she made contact...

:o  ;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:35 AM

That’s one that I haven’t experienced, but I did have an instance that due to the location and person that made me uneasy.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:12 AM

It's hard to guess the motives of others with such brief encounters.

Suffice it to say, the woman with interest had no idea of the formidable powers of the Lady.

Very, very few can keep up with the two of you!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

About 20 years ago I saw a teardrop camper in a campground beside the NASCAR racetrack at Bristol, TN.  It had a neatly lettered sign propped up on the tongue: 

"Love Shack.  Free Tours"

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

Oh my goodness, this possibility never crossed my mind.

But a new boyfriend -- not camping rig -- may have been exactly what she was in the market for when she made contact...

:o  ;)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:42 AM

You meet the nicest people in a popup.

Big world out there Ski, do you think she would have talked with you if the Lady was with you? Sound like those two belong together.
Thanks for sharing is quite humorous.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:46 PM

Didn't know our campers are "chic magnets"

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

Funny. It is either a couple or just a guy. I've got tears in my eyes, can't stop laughing. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 23 June 2019 - 12:01 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

"Love Shack.  Free Tours"

Didn't know our campers are "chic magnets"

Frank

Ah. yet another selling point! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users