• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:44 PM

We just bought a 2003 Four Wheel Hawk and are considering converting the ice box to a three way fridge. We've never used an ice box before, nor have we ever contemplated a conversion like this. Is this project a good idea? We'd appreciate any knowledge or insights y'all might have!

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:16 PM

We just bought a 2003 Four Wheel Hawk and are considering converting the ice box to a three way fridge. We've never used an ice box before, nor have we ever contemplated a conversion like this. Is this project a good idea? We'd appreciate any knowledge or insights y'all might have!

2 batteries, solar, and a compressor fridge. I wouldn't consider a 3-way fridge. Depends on where you live and where you go camping. My 2-cents

Edited by longhorn1, 22 June 2019 - 10:17 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:28 PM

2 batteries, solar, and a compressor fridge. I wouldn't consider a 3-way fridge. Depends on where you live and where you go camping. My 2-cents

+1  Love my Compressor fridge. 

#4 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:59 PM

I would camp with the ice box a few times, research the threads on this forum regarding compressor refrigerators vs compressor refrigerators.

But as the two previous posts stated. I have a Dometic 65 refrigerator / freezer compressor cooler style unit, with 175 watts of solar, 2 x 100 amp Hr AGM 12 v batteries and I am a happy camper.

If you only camp 2 or 3 days at a time, the ice box may work.

Welcome to the FWC family

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#5 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:41 AM

When I was only doing short trips I used a Coleman ice chest because I have the shell model without even a built-in ice box. That was OK until I did long trips and found it too  much of a hassle. And it was difficult finding  block ice so that made it worse. I got the smallest compressor type I could find, an 18 litre Indel B[sold in US by TruckFridge] and a 100 watt solar panel. I have a single 75 AH  AGM battery and this system can run the fridge for three days,without driving to charge the battery, in warm, but not hot weather. I feel it is the best camping gear I ever purchased, other than the beer.

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:50 AM

My propane fridge runs forever with no concerns about battery life or camping in a spot with enough sun on the solar panels.  I run on 110v at home before I leave, 12v when I'm driving and propane when I arrive at the campsite.  I don't camp in extremely hot weather; most of my trips are to the California coast or the Sierra. 

That said, I know very little about the compressor refrigerators other than the people who have them tend to like them.

#7 Backroad Joe

Backroad Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPinon Hills, CA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:37 AM

Yup, 3-way is great. When boondocking the propane heat source is not much bigger than a pilot light. Likely go a month or two on a propane tank. And it makes ice for my cocktails!

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L Hemi, 2011 Palomino Bronco B800, 1968 Jeep CJ5

KG6YQQ

#8 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:52 AM

You may find that the Hawk has the wiring and plugged gas line for a 3 way fridge. You have to vent them in the side of the camper which is pretty easy using a multi tool to cut the side of the camper for the vent install (upper and lower vents). Dometic has a size chart which allows you to pick the fridge that will fit your camper. Shop around for the fridge (I've had good luck with Adventure RV as a source) including ebay.

If you decide to go the compressor route, if there is wiring for a fridge already installed, it will likely serve for a compressor fridge as well. I don't know that you would have to vent a compressor fridge, but they do produce heat.

I have used 3 way fridges for years and like them. I chose to put one in my 2002 Eagle when I renovated it. The only thing you have to watch is leaving them on 12V when you are on battery  power. It can suck the battery to zero power pretty quickly.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#9 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:01 AM

We have the big Isotherm 130 compressor fridge, 160 watt roof panel (Overland Solar) and dual 6 volt batteries, and a 220 amp alternator in the truck. We don't sit in one place for more than a few days, but we never have any issues with power. I've always heard the 3 ways don't like to run unless level. We went camping with some friends who had a new travel trailer (they were the original buyers, and it was a few years old but had barely been used). They could not get their fridge running on propane.

Growing up, we lived in a remote cabin for a while that had no power. We relied on two old Servel propane fridges, and they were great. I like the idea of propane, but we got nervous about all the complaints so we went with the compressor fridge in our Hawk.

#10 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:41 AM

2 batteries, solar and battery monitors, controllers, etc. for a compressor fridge. Not worth it to me. I wouldn't trade my 3 way fridge. There are things you must do to make them work correctly. The installations from the factory are horrible.

CWDT

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Four wheel camper, Ice box conversion, 3-way refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users