bug sprays ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:04 AM

Heading out on our Nfld - Labrador trip in a few days . Wondering what you Guys use for bug spray?? I've got a feeling there going to be nasty this year. Thanks. 

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

In the past I have read that DEET is the only stuff that works, and that percentages lower than far upper 90's aren't worth buying. Might try searching here and other forums for bug juice advice for going to AK or driving the Al-Can Hwy. I'll suggest the Portal and ADV as forums likely to also have this info.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

Truck Camper Magazine (truckcampermagazine.com) asked that same question several months ago-so it might be worth the effort to pull it up because they did a good job with finding  out what  our fellow campers thought (Thermacell :rolleyes:) .FYI-I got one, it worked okay around the campfire, but I wanted something that would work in the pop-up and that is not recommended;anyway it kept the bees away from my campsite. Me I still use my old standby, "Avon nice and soft with bug guard plus".

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 29 June 2019 - 08:51 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

A year or two back Consumer Reports did a study on these, and recommended the CVS house brand total home woodland scent:

https://www.cvs.com/...-prodid-1510029

I normally don't follow their ratings, but a neighbor gave me the article and I thought I'd give it a try.  It seemed to work just fine, and its cheaper than a lot of name brands.  30% DEET which is not as common to find.

I also have a Thermacell that works OK.  Some brands of fuel don't work as well with it as far as making a connection to the unit, but other than that its one more tool for enjoying the outdoors. 

-Vic  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#5 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:45 AM

Best product out there is 3m ultrathon. This is the product developed for the US military. It is a sustained release DEET product. I have used this with outstanding success in multiple environments. If I was going to a known difficult area, such as AK, I would also use permethrin spray on my clothes. They cant bite if they are dead. I have recently switched to Picardin from Sawyer as a repellant to avoid destroying the plastics in my truck, camper, fly lines, etc. it is working well. Spray my boots, socks, pants, and shirt with permethrin in advance mostly to deal with ticks.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:03 PM

Second vote for Permethrin.
Used it on our trip to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick a couple of years ago and it worked great.
Newfoundland is on our bucket list. Please let us know how your trip went...

Edited by smlobx, 07 July 2019 - 05:03 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 4corners44

4corners44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

Thermacell in the Hawk just until they all depart (about 10-15 minutes) and I wonder if the "DO NOT USE IN ENCLOSED SPACE" warning is just a lawyer required thing to protect the mfg as I have been using this inside since they were first introduced with no ill affect.I use the Ultimate Bug Shirt when fishing along with a pair of light leather gloves.  Not a single mosquito bite last week while fishing and camping on Colorado's Grand Mesa. Used the same combo two years ago on my three month trip up to Alaska and Canada. I am still trying to wear out several pairs of pants I used to use for backpacking as the nylon weave is so tight mosquitoes can't sting through the material. Great pants and I think the Mfg quit using this material as it was just about bullet proof.  I only managed to wear-out the seat on one pair after several trips sliding down sandstone on my butt. Permethrin worked great as a clothing treatment also.

#8 Arctic

Arctic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:09 PM

DEET destroys nylon, polyester, polypro, etc. including clothing, packs, tents.

Many of us Alaskans who spend 12 hours/day in the field use the Sawyer Picaridin Lotion:

https://sawyer.com/p...sect-repellent/

We also use Thermocells and they work decent if you are sitting around camp or taking a snack/rest break but they are not effective in windy conditions or when you are hiking.

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:57 PM

One of my friends, who spent a career working in Alaska with USFW, recommended the Bug Shirt as an alternative to chemicals.  As someone who mosquitoes find exceptionally tasty, I think I’m going to get one.  Apparently the weave is tight enough the little needle nose critters can’t get through it.   There is mesh in areas that hang free and don’t touch, plus a hoodie with zippered mesh.

I am haunted by waters

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:12 PM

Sounds like that might be a little warm. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users