Photo
- - - - -

Jeep is gone... Duramax GMC Canyon took her place.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:28 AM

Been lurking around these forums for quite some time now.  I appreciate all the helpful conversations in here.

A few years ago, wifey and I built up a 2012 Rubicon with the J30 top on it and loved it.  Spent about 100 nights roaming around, camping and exploring, but there was something missing.

Some pics of the rig and pics from some of our adventures are here: https://www.instagram.com/rubicamps/

But... As I said, something was missing.

Really it was an indoor table. lol. 

Pretty much any resemblance of 'indoor space' was the trick, really.  Indoor stove to make coffee on rainy mornings, a hideout from mosquitoes in the evening...

Plus, we can often sneak away on weekdays with laptops as long as we've got an hour or so to 'get our work done' and get back to roaming and camping.

The Jeep needed a lot of exterior setup in order to make that morning coffee and hour of power work-session... Wasn't fun in **** weather.

We loved how compact the Jeep was... Loved the backroads capabilities... Needed a little more space.

So now we have a 2017 long bed GMC Canyon duramax... Seemed like the logical transition.

Now I'm on the hunt for the 'right' camper to go along with it... :D 

Not sure if going new or used is the right move... The lead time to have it made is not the most fun, but a new camper has it's benefits to get it just the way we want.

FWC and Phoenix seem to have good options for us...  I know our payload capacity is the real limiting factor here, but we travel light and it is just us 2.

Getting the truck ready here soon... Adding airbags and the stubby antenna next...

Figured it was officially time to stop lurking and time to say thanks! 

#2 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:12 AM

Cool Jeep you had Miles!

Nice camping set-up for a Jeep.  Looks like it is a great setup for nice weather and mobility.  You will definitely gain a lot more interior use without sacrificing much mobility with your new setup.

Based on what I see is you would be suited for a shell.  I would highly recommend a furnace with the stove on top.  I'm sure you will use it for coffee all the time.

I'd consider going new if you are looking at a shell as the cost isn't as high, but if you find a good used one great.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:37 AM

Miles, take a look at the ATC Bobcat. ATC is great to work with, does custom work, and they have a stellar reputation for quality and customer service.

I am haunted by waters

#4 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:49 AM

Miles, take a look at the ATC Bobcat. ATC is great to work with, does custom work, and they have a stellar reputation for quality and customer service.

What he said....

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:15 AM

What he said....

Friends of ours recently picked up their ATC build for their Colorado/Canyon. It is a great camper. Consider adding ATC to your prospects.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:05 PM

Cool Jeep you had Miles!

Nice camping set-up for a Jeep.  Looks like it is a great setup for nice weather and mobility.  You will definitely gain a lot more interior use without sacrificing much mobility with your new setup.

Based on what I see is you would be suited for a shell.  I would highly recommend a furnace with the stove on top.  I'm sure you will use it for coffee all the time.

I'd consider going new if you are looking at a shell as the cost isn't as high, but if you find a good used one great.

We loved that thing... Got us deep into forests away from the crowds but let us pull into cities to say hi to family all on the same trip.

What do you mean when you mention a shell?  Is this a simplified camper option or something?  Is this different from a FWC Fleet? 

Or is it a 'less cabinets and less gadgets' version?  Like a lower trimline type thing?

I'm intrigued and I've read the term 'shell' thrown around but still don't fully get it.

#7 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

What he said....

Friends of ours recently picked up their ATC build for their Colorado/Canyon. It is a great camper. Consider adding ATC to your prospects.

YES! :D

Three votes for ATC Bobcat right there...  Wasn't on my list (until now)

Thank you for the recommendations.  Excited to go down this new rabbit hole... 

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

Hi Miles and welcome to WtW. When looking for used make sure you have all the measurements of your vehicle so you will know it fits properly. I’ll also second the shell, to keep the weight down because is the off-roading you do. Heater and maybe the combo sink /stovetop could downsize the tank or do a manual pump and you own containers. If you go the build route have all the behind your walls stuff there even if you don’t plan to use it today.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

Miles, you won’t be disappointed. When I sold mine, it was like cutting off an arm. I’ll have another pop up, and it will be an ATC.

I am haunted by waters

#10 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:05 AM

The frame on Canyons/Colorados are not necessarily as strong as they could be.  It looks - to me - like they were designed more to be cars than real working trucks.

https://americanadve...32/#post-127646

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users