power connection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

Having a hard time finding clean and better connections to my batter, any ideas? This is mine

battery.jpg

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

A couple of ideas. Stop into a carparts store and get a connector that has an additional vertical stud to flatten out the wire distribution, and after cleaning and reconnecting the terminals, spray some battery terminal protectant over it. NAPA and others have those.

I am haunted by waters

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:44 PM

Hot water for tea or coffee add baking soda. Pour it over the terminal and use a scrub brush will clean nutrurelize the acid.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

Hot water for tea or coffee add baking soda. Pour it over the terminal and use a scrub brush will clean nutrurelize the acid.

... then air dry and coat with rattle can paint. That should seal out acidic fumes.

#5 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

There are power distribution busbar and block terminals available such as the following which can be mounted to your firewall or even a custom mounting plate:

https://www.amazon.c...la-571298177918

https://www.amazon.c...355888867&psc=1

https://www.amazon.c...-14-spons&psc=1

Edited by ckent323, 27 June 2019 - 07:49 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#6 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

Was thinking of some of the connections audio shops use, but the tend not to be a lug connection, rather a set screw which I dont think is as good, as you can see I switched to a military style clamp, but still not clean or enough connections. Noticed some people using a copper plate, which may work.

#7 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

Sorry for the confusion if you guys thought it was a cleaning issue, rather clean appearance..

#8 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

I like those from CKENT 323, thanks. Wonder how they hold up under an engine compartment?

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

Dirt Rider,

I use the black version for multiple grounds for added components.  I have a single short ground coming to it from the battery.   I was initially worried about the plastic cover but it works fine.

I have a mess on my positive terminal similar to yours and I have the red terminal block with the larger lug screws but have not installed it yet.  It is plenty robust.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:57 AM

First thing is to clock the terminals. They usually have the ring offset so that it is roughly tangent to the insulation rather than being centered on the wire. Clock two wires back to back and they nest together like there's only one wire there. Not all pre-made battery cables have this feature, but the better ones do. Or make them if you have or can borrow a proper crimper. I buy all of the bits except for the adhesive lined heat-shrink from my local Powerstride Battery store. The H-S I get from West Marine because the Ancor product they sell is very good.

Second thing is that you can put some of the lugs under the bolt head, they don't all have to be on the nut side.

Those two things should clean up the situation.

When I do employ an isolated stud I use one like these: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01LM01CNA/ as that usually enough and I prefer that the connection be made directly thru the lugs rather than having to go into the dist. block and then back out.

12 valve, eh? :)

Edited by ntsqd, 29 June 2019 - 02:00 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users