• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:19 PM

Whatever method you choose, whatever product you purchase and install....that damage was REALLY caused by what they call "Pilot Error". There is a reason you do a "pre-flight inspection" before taking off....because "STUFF HAPPENS". In this case, I think checking any style of tie-down you have BEFORE you head out and then again when you get off on rough roads is imperative.

Now I don't think that the more sophistocated locking tie downs will themselves come loose, but what if one of them starts to pull through the side of your camper? On the other hand, wiring or using nuts will usually secure the turnbuckles, but again, you are looking for the mountings to be secure as well.

If you ASSUME everything is secured properly and not loose anywhere.....that isn't enough. A physical inspection and a wiggle or two will let you know if each tie-down is secure or not or if the camper wall is being pulled apart.

I'm not even going to address how a driver may choose to negotiate off-road surfaces or what speeds should be used to SAFELY do that without damaging the truck/camper....as in "Dude, where's the fire?" unless of course there actually IS a fire!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#12 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

Has anyone tried safety chains, so if the turn buckles do come loose or off you don"t loose your camper. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users