105 replies to this topic

#21 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:23 AM

Well I spoke too soon on the roof.  I spent all day working on it, and have determined some of this stuff just isn't made to come apart and be reused.  The front of mine was rotten, and the back is rotten as well.  the frame appears to be in good shape, but it is sagged in the middle and I can't get the dang aluminum to cover it back up.  Plus it is obvious that the front and middle is where the water is coming in.  I have determined the only way to do it "right" is to replace the roof.  I'm finding some rubber roofing kits on amazon for under $200, so not terrible.  Just a set back I really didn't want to have to deal with!

As far as insulation- I've got a question- replacing/adding Insulation in the walls and roof seems like what everyone does when rehabbing these things, but with the canvas sides, it really seems like a waste of time to me.  Won't all the heat just escape through the thin canvas unless you also insulate that?

Former- '83 Jayco Sportster 7 (fully rebuilt and now for sale!) on 05 Dodge 2500 Cummins (sold)

Current: '23 Outfitter Juno 8.5 on '22 Ram 2500 Cummins

#22 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:45 AM

Hahaha.....in a nut shell....yes....the insulation can kind of be a waste. I went through the same thing. My final thought was, do I really want empty spaces? Does the insulation give any kind of structural advantage? I put insulation back in.....Styrofoam on the sides, and pink closed cell is going in the roof once framing is done.

#23 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:06 PM

Just bought a new rubber roof kit from Amazon for $228.  My plan at this point is to just scrap and rebuild the entire thing.  I'm planning 12ft 1x6s for the perimeter where it ties into the lift points, use a couple  1x6s across for support, then 1/4in or maybe even thinner plywood across the top, and apply the rubber roof directly to that.  Definitely using some small metal L brackets tying the whole thing together.  Baffles none of those were used in the original construction, just some trigger happy staple gun operator.

Not sure about the inside, but I can probably reuse the white paneling that's there.  Possibly add some insulation.  Thoughts on that plan?

Edited by kmehr, 15 July 2019 - 07:09 PM.

Former- '83 Jayco Sportster 7 (fully rebuilt and now for sale!) on 05 Dodge 2500 Cummins (sold)

#24 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

If I had the cash, I'd probably do the same thing.....unfortunately I cannot. Building from scratch will definitely allow you to use a better design. If building from scratch, I'd set up a ribbing design with cross lap joints and make sure to build up the center for drainage/run off. 

Reusing the inner paneling would work, but if you are rebuilding anyway, it would be much easier to use new melamine or even better, 1/16" plastic panel....my local Home Depot has it in 4x8 sheets for $22. You could use 3 and have it be super clean. Use closed cell insulation though for the ceiling. I've posted some updates on my build for some insight on stock set up. 

#25 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:22 PM

How goes the build?

#26 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:41 PM

I was out of town last weekend and am current in the airport for a trip for this weekend, so no new progress. I did get my rubber roof skin, so pretty excited to get the roof and exterior stuff done and move on to the fun stuff- the interior!

Any progress on yours?

#27 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:19 AM

I too was gone all week. Just returned home tonight. Ready to hit the ground running this weekend and push for thre finish. I did update before heading out Monday.

Hopefully I'll have some good updates come Monday. Taking off the end of next week as well. Hoping to finish Friday at least "campable" so we can head out Sunday morning.

#28 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:31 AM

Got the new roof structure completed today. It’s a little bit narrower than the lift posts like, measure twice cut once! I should be able to tweak it a little and get the top going up and down smoothly again. Very pleased with how it turned out. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the rubber coating on it.

IMG_4469.jpg

#29 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:32 AM

IMG_4471.jpg

#30 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:07 AM

Looking pretty amazing! Keep going!

We're heading out camping tomorrow with ours. Not done, but "campable"....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users