105 replies to this topic

#41 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:50 PM

Thanks! I was actually looking at some garage door seals today at home depot, I think those, along with some regular old weather stripping will do the trick.  Garage door seal to cover the gap and the weather stripping inside it to seal the body up when it's closed.

Very glad I sprung for the fourth jack.  The single side flooring was not the strongest, and I've got to lift it all the way maxed out to fit in my truck. Made me REALLY nervous loading it in and out the one time I've done it. I've got a new jack "foot" planned when the time comes to raise the whole assembly some as well as give me some more width so I'm not running over the tripod feet when I back under it.

Edited by kmehr, 11 August 2019 - 11:54 PM.

Former- '83 Jayco Sportster 7 (fully rebuilt, sold) on 05 Dodge 2500 Cummins (sold)

Current: '23 Outfitter Juno 8.5 on '22 Ram 2500 Cummins

1970 Toyota FJ40

#42 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:59 PM

I got you. I definitely want feet instead of tripods as well.

Keep in mind that an overhang lip over the body can negate the need for a perfect seal, and no seal is perfect.

The seal on mine was more of a t design from the factory. Finding an aluminum t and adding a seal should do the trick.

#43 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:27 PM

Any update my friend?

#44 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

Yes! Started work on the inside- got sick last weekend so that slowed progress some, but I’ve got the cabinet face for the kitchen side all cut out, the fridge and furnace installed. Plan is to get the inside framed out and painted by the end of the weekend. Picked up some butcher block for the counter tops, so will get to work on that as well. Coming along!

Former- '83 Jayco Sportster 7 (fully rebuilt, sold) on 05 Dodge 2500 Cummins (sold)

1970 Toyota FJ40

#45 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

Sweet!!!

I've been super sick as well since getting home....

What are you going to use for paint? I've been told that painting cabinets will not stick in the long run, but I'm not convinced myself that it won't work. I just hate putting in big work and having it not work out. 

How heavy is the butcher block? Will that mess with your COG? Maybe not as I'm sure it will be short.....

Did you solve the outside edging?

#46 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

I was just planning on using house paint.  The cabinets in my house have been painted for decades, can't imagine why it won't work in the camper.

The butcher block is about an inch and a quarter thick, so not terribly heavy.  Given I've got a 6.5 foot bed and my camper is the 7 footer, only about 2.5 feet will be behind the center of gravity, with just as much if not more being in front of it.  Bascially I'm not too concerned about it effecting much. ill have the battery and water tank and solar panel all in front of the rear axle as well.

Still undecided on the outside edging.  I'm pretty sure that aluminum channel will be the ticket, but havent pulled the trigger.  I've really got to find a good free photo hosting site too as none of my pictures are uploading through tapatalk anymore. apparently they're too big

1970 Toyota FJ40

#47 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

Got it...

At the suggestion of Sagebrush...I've been using Flickr. It is easier to use with my desktop, but I have had success with using the web version of "Wanderthewest". Unfortunately, Tapatalk is great at reading and replying with words, but falls very short with pictures. I had the same issues in the beginning of my posting. 

#48 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Locationnear Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:10 AM

Hi Guys,

looking like you are doing a great job on your Jayco. @Cory and Sagebrush, thanks for sharing my report.

Finally it comes out that y´all do a much better job than we did!.  But you live in the Country of TruckCampers and DIYers.

We need to find a way to meet one day.....

Manfred

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty SC LB 7.3 Lariat
1992 Jayco Sportster 8ft Popup

http://www.wanderthe...8ft-renovation/

BundutecUSA, TravelLite and Palomino TruckCamper Sales in Germany and Europe

#49 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:33 PM

Thanks! I've made quite a bit of progress since the last update- cabinets done, painted, countertops done.  Life has been really crazy lately, so havent had time for a good update with pictures, but it's coming!

1970 Toyota FJ40

#50 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:57 PM

Finally time for a big update! It's so close to finished and it's campable!  We're headed to New Mexico next weekend for the long weekend.  To sum up- I've installed all the cabinets, found some good metal trim to ring the roof, re-installed the furnace, installed the fridge, redone the floors, painted everything, new counter tops, installed the sink, and installed the vent fan.  Still need to do some finishing touches and trim work, but it's so close!  I really cannot believe the transformation...

IMG 4484
IMG 4478
IMG 4479
IMG 0051
IMG 0054
IMG 0052

1970 Toyota FJ40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users