10 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

I have recently retired but my wife will still be working for a few more years. Fortunately for us, she can work wherever she has a cell signal ( I was unable to find out how to do that building homes!).

We just returned from an almost month long trip to Colorado and Utah and while we could occasionally get cell service many times we only got 1 or 2 bars. In further analyzing our needs we found that if she could work while i’m driving that would be great....but then if we could set up a better scenario if we happen to find a nice place to camp for a day or three that would be ideal.

So what I’m thinking about trying is to get the Weboost mobile set up
https://www.weboost....ducts/drive-4gx

then add a second antenna booster
Like this that I could put on an extendable pole to further raise our reception when we’re in camp.

https://www.weboost....products/304415

What has your experience been and what would you suggest?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

This topic has come up previously.

Try searching on "cell booster" as well as "signal booster" and "range extender"

Here are a couple of older posts on the topic I found doing a search:

http://www.wanderthe...ter#entry187728

http://www.wanderthe...signal +booster

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 07 July 2019 - 07:42 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:51 AM

I occasionally work from the road, and have installed a weboost in our camper.   Before doing that though - which cell phone provider do you use?  If you are traveling in the west, Verizon (or an MVNO that uses the Verizon network) have significantly better coverage than the competitors so your first option for better service would be to switch to Verizon.   

The Weboost works well in the situation you describe - where you have 1-2 bars of service it will often boost it to full bars and LTE speeds.   It won't do anything if there is truly no service, which is still the case in a lot of the 'good spots'.   

The antenna is a little tricky in the camper - my understanding is that the little magnetic one that comes with that kit expects to be on a ground plane (which it would be when mounted to the roof of your car magnetically).   As such is may not work so well on the camper roof (which isn't well grounded) or up a pole.   For that you need the trucker or 'OTR' antenna or a marine or building antenna, which are designed to work without a ground plane.   I have mine mounted to some 80/20 which can be retracted for traveling and extended while camping or in the boonies. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:15 PM

I had been thinking about buying a booster for some time and finally pulled the trigger on a weBoost Drive Reach after seeing this recent Youtube video from Brian on the "RV with Tito" channel .... (I even used the 10% discount code from that video)

I've not even installed mine yet and can only say I'm impressed by how well they've done the instructions and by the hefty feel of the booster.

Edited 7/9/19 to add...

In case anyone's interested in other outside antenna options, I see the back page of the Drive Reach manual says the Kit #304415 - Trucker Antenna w/15' RG-58  (about $110) is also FCC-certified to work with it.  Since the Drive Reach doesn't have an RG-58 connection I contacted weBoost via chat and asked if the cable adapter listed in the antenna kit is what's needed for the connection (if I  decide to get that antenna).  The agent said I'd also need a 970030 adapter.  (Note-- please contact weBoost to confirm before ordering.  The weBoost web site appears to be a bit behind as far as telling us what works with what.)

Edited by Old Crow, 09 July 2019 - 05:21 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

I'm doing my R&D on this topic, and like what I am reading on Technomadia....except that they charge a subscription for the best info:

https://www.technoma...nomadic-travel/

I was intrigued to find out that boosters actually prevent MIMO antennas from working, and that a simple $30 netgear MIMO antenna can work as well as a $600 booster, in some circumstances.

I was curious why the range of the internal antenna is so terrible... like a few feet, such that it is recommended that you attach your cell phone to the internal antenna.  What good is that?  I get it now... a strong local signal from the internal antenna can cause feedback (oscillation).  So, why not rebroadcast as WiFi instead of cell?  

Doh, there are such devices!  I'm looking hard at the Cradlepoint stuff: 

https://cradlepoint....r-ibr900-series

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

Rebroadcasting as wifi is what mobile hotspots do - connect to the cellular network then provide a wifi access point.   These devices are cheap and available for almost all carriers.   This is a great option, particularly with an external antenna, but requires another device with a data plan and doesn't provide phone or SMS service as you are connecting your devices via wifi not cellular. 

I would recommend looking for a booster on ebay and the like,  I purchased a demo model of the 4g and a trucker antenna for around $250.   I have yet to find a situation where the booster decreased data speeds to any noticeable degree, and if it did decrease speeds the simple solution would be to turn it off. 

The weeboost trucker antenna, with the correct SMA connector for the amplifier is available fairly cheaply from a number of sellers on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com...h0AAOSwgaNcq0BP

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:39 PM

Wow!
Thanks rando, Vic and Old Crow.

Lots of good information.

I’m now wondering if I could make some sort of quick attachment set up that I could mount on the side of the camper near the bed that I could attach the truckers antenna to when we are in camp for a few days. I could run the cable into the cab through the rear sliding window...or for that matter through the sliding window of the camper. Either scenario would be protected from the weather.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

Brian of RV with Tito is at it again... the video below was just published yesterday.  It's a review of the new WeBoost "Drive X RV" cell phone booster kit.

The booster itself is a re-labelled 4 GX but it's now paired with the latest OTR (over the road) trucker antenna.

As I just recently bought the Drive Reach Brian reviewed in May (see post 4), I wondered what this means.  If you watch the video above at YouTube (rather than here), you can see comments below it.  And in those comments user peterdement asks "How does it compare to the Drive Reach?"  Brian says the Reach tested slightly better and he believes the Reach is WeBoost's next generation booster but they won't have an RV package including it yet this year.

Also- As I mentioned at the bottom of post 4, that latest OTR antenna is also certified for the Drive Reach. 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#9 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:53 AM

I have a weboost at my home. I love on the ragged edge of reception. The weboost made some times no bars to maybe 1 bar into a solid 4 bar situation. I have a small rebroadcast antenna and it works well within about an 8-10 foot proximity. The system allowed me to confidently ditch the land line for phone service. I still have to have internet via land line. Haven’t figured out yet how to ditch that.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

installed a DriveX and OTR for our trip to Utah, which starts this Friday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users