• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

Hi All,

It has been literally years since I've been on wander the west, probably 7  years. I used to be really active on here, did a lot of trip and trail reports when the site migrated to this new software back in the day. Then had kids and have been gone for a while. We are now starting to overland with the kids. 

I want to go run Forestdale rd, Red Lakes to Blue Lakes from Markleyville CA to Hope Valley CA out on highway 88 / 89 in the Northern Sierras near Tahoe. With the winter we had I'm wondering if the top of the pass still has too much snow to get through. As I'm now wheeling with young children in the car I don't like surprises as much as I used to :-)

There used to be some really active people on here who lived and travelled in that area a lot. If you're still here I'd love to know if anyone has run this yet this year and what the snow and trail status is.

Thanks all and happy to be back!

Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for reminding me I need to complete that road. Last time I tried I didn't make it far before there was too much snow. Likely that way now I would think. 

https://trail4runner...lake-4x4-trail/

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

I'd do the road from Blue Lakes north, that way you'll be approaching the rougher sections as you climb. You could disperse camp at Lost lakes and have mild hiking in that area with nice visuals. Last time we drove that road there was a deep erosion cut two to three feet deep down the center of the road from the pass north to the bottom of the steep grade. We have always most enjoyed the section from Blue Lakes to the divide so usually just turn around at the top.

I do not know current snow conditions but I would expect possible deep patches at the upper elevations.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Ski3pin,

I believe you and I have met years ago. I swung by your home and picked up some parts for my old four wheel camper I was fixing up. Good to see you are still on here!

Heading that direction if there is a large snow bank at the top of the pass will there be a place to safely turn a big truck like a tundra around or is it shelf road at that point?

I'd do the road from Blue Lakes north, that way you'll be approaching the rougher sections as you climb. You could disperse camp at Lost lakes and have mild hiking in that area with nice visuals. Last time we drove that road there was a deep erosion cut two to three feet deep down the center of the road from the pass north to the bottom of the steep grade. We have always most enjoyed the section from Blue Lakes to the divide so usually just turn around at the top.

I do not know current snow conditions but I would expect possible deep patches at the upper elevations.

Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:58 PM

Rich, if coming from the south - Blue Lakes - you can turn a truck around up top. The last lingering snowbank we've seen is right at the top and fills the cut bank at the top of the descent to Red Lake. And yes, you stopped by here and picked up some parts. Welcome back.

Thanks Ski3pin,

I believe you and I have met years ago. I swung by your home and picked up some parts for my old four wheel camper I was fixing up. Good to see you are still on here!

Heading that direction if there is a large snow bank at the top of the pass will there be a place to safely turn a big truck like a tundra around or is it shelf road at that point?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

Hey Ski, coming up that way how long does it take to get from hope valley to the top and back?

#7 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:51 PM

So you take blu lakes rd off of 88 just west of sorensons and link up with Forestdale rd and go up that way?

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:56 PM

Rich, I hesitate to say because my guess would probably be as good as yours. Blue Lakes Road from 88 in Hope Valley to Blues Lakes is an easy, good two lane mountain road. The road along the east side of the Blue Lakes is good but narrow and slow, especially if encountering other vehicles - hiking trailheads, the PG&E campgrounds. The Forestdale Divide Road begins right at the Upper Blue Lake Campground. Check the mileage and work on a good estimate.

#9 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:47 AM

Update forestdale rd red lakes to blue lakes is closed for the entire season. We tried to enter it from Blue Lakes and it's blocked off. I talked to one of the PG+E guys there and he said they are working on the dam there and don't want anybody on the road so they have blocked both ends for the entire summer season. 

Tried to get to crater lake today as well and could get further than 3 weeks ago but the trail is still blocked by snow. 

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

I guess we missed this one -

Upper Blue Lake 2019 Closure
Due to planned work at Upper Blue Lake Dam and surrounding campgrounds all recreation located around Upper Blue Lake will be closed to the public for the entire 2019 season. Recreation around Lower Blue Lake will be open. The closures include the following campgrounds: Middle Creek, Middle Creek Expansion, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site Expansion, Upper Blue Lake. The closure includes access to the Grouse Lake/Granite Lake Trailhead and all boat ramp access to Upper Blue Lake.

Further information on the dam project I found on CEQA -

Seismic Retrofit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users